Home

MMOtor will be good if...

Fiestainabox

War is by its very nature chaotic. I would like to see a few massive set-piece battles, to give a sense of confusion - it just makes things more exciting when you are fighting constantly in a game just to remain an active player (like some levels in Battlefront), and can't see WHAT is going on because you are so fixated on your own health gauge!

Balance that with small scale raids, and it would be great! Chaos and careful planning contrasting. An all-out battle for survival followed by sneaking around or a surprise onslaught.

BUT NO MONTHLY FEES!!! I see what you mean about discouraging time-wasters, but it also discourages people who don't like shelling out more than once for a game.:xp: It wasn't needed for SFC3's Dynaverse multiplayer, it isn't required for PS3's online gaming, why should this be any different?

Two reasons really:

One, MMO's are REALLY expensive, and they cost alot of money to maintain everyday, buying the game and not paying monthly means they have to find a way to get you to pay more for the game, so you'll start seeing things like "BUY YOUR NEW EPIC GEAR NOW!" and a lot of us want to earn them, not go to some in game store and buy them.

Also, that would cause them to start calling in sponsors, so you'll start seeing things like "Pepsi Gauntlets of Power!." not fun.

Second, A lot of the younger people in the world find it quite fun to ruin other peoples time by doing things like spamming, doing the "Name Stealing" thing, or worst of all, making fortunes by selling the starting armor thousands of times.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two reasons really:

One, MMO's are REALLY expensive, and they cost alot of money to maintain everyday, buying the game and not paying monthly means they have to find a way to get you to pay more for the game, so you'll start seeing things like "BUY YOUR NEW EPIC GEAR NOW!" and a lot of us want to earn them, not go to some in game store and buy them.

I see. Fair enough, I suppose. I remain against it in principle, but would accept it if the fee was restricted to what is necessary to maintain the format. I don't like these other MMO's where you are essentially paying the sticker price of the game again every month.

What about a Pay-As-You-Play type system? Pay a certain amount of money to play for a certain amount of time. That way people like myself who get about an hour of free time a day when studying begins again wouldn't need to pay a huge amount of money to play for a couple of hours in particular months.

What about a Pay-As-You-Play type system? Pay a certain amount of money to play for a certain amount of time. That way people like myself who get about an hour of free time a day when studying begins again wouldn't need to pay a huge amount of money to play for a couple of hours in particular months.

That probably won't work, and most likely end up more expensive in the long run. Unless we're talking like 1p ($0.02) an hour here, which is kinda stupid :p.

As far as the topic goes, I have faith that Bioware won't screw this up.

That probably won't work, and most likely end up more expensive in the long run. Unless we're talking like 1p ($0.02) an hour here, which is kinda stupid :p.

Depends how often you use it. For some, it would be better, for others, worse.

Not going to happen, buddy. It's going to be well in excess of $100 each year. Might be as low as $10 a month, but that's as good as it's probably gonna get.

Hopefully, they won't try to ride a line like Galaxies. You either need to let no one be Force-Sensitive, or you need to let every character be Force-Sensitive. You go in the middle, EVERYONE whines. You take one side, and only one section whines.

well.. I can't say "most" MMO's offer payment plans (6months, annual, etc.) since I only play one atm ..hehehe but DDO does offer more than the standard month-per-month. Cheaper that way too. You can go monthly, quarterly, semi-annual or annual.

But I do agree that the monthly fees should not go past $14 (avg standard nowadays). I have seen some MMO's offer $9.99 a month which would be nice since I don't see the Star Wars franchise going broke any time soon. Would be nice if they gave fans a break in the pocket lest they suffer a Galaxies fallout ;)

Now if they offer superb support and updates out the wazoo.. then yeah, I'd be willing to fork out $14 a month since you're essentially getting more game than the initial sticker price to buy the 'base' game. While you might be paying for the game 3 times over during a year.. if they offer appropriate updates to equal 3 games of content.. then I see that as an acceptable compromise...

If they offer squat and still insist on the a high monthly fee.. then no, that's just wrong and the MMO won't last.

I'd like it to be the Guild Wars model and you just pay for the campaign, but I don't see that happening. I could live with a lifetime membership with a one-time fee, however.

Would definitely be a plus :D

The only reason I like monthly fees is that it also acts as a "somewhat" deterrent to not only punk kids.. but also to farmers (aka plat farmers). While no MMO is safe from them... most farmers are hesitant to purchase the game and maintain the fees since account banning can cut into their profits. Most thrive on free trials and such and only live as long as player reports and support teams methodically kill such accounts.

Never a 100% solution, but as much as people would complain, I'd like a very limited free trial account system. Not necessarily 'short' but limited as far as mechanics and what a person can do with trials. Just enough to wet the appetite so to say ;)

Now if they offer superb support and updates out the wazoo..

That's one thing I love about Turbine. Update, update, update!

It will be interesting to see how Bioware supports the game.

I'd like it to be the Guild Wars model and you just pay for the campaign, but I don't see that happening. I could live with a lifetime membership with a one-time fee, however.

I'm a fan of the Lifetime Membership and would definitely get one. I got the Lifetime Membership for Lord of the Rings Online. What I love is that I don't feel like I'm obligated to play to get my money's worth each month. I just play when I feel like it.

For LotRO it was $200 because I got it during Open Beta. I think they offer it to anyone for $300, though. I would love to have Bioware do something similar to LotRO Founder's Pricing and Lifetime Membership.

As far as the game itself... I think people have a case of "Galaxies Phobia." If I'm playing Knights of the Old Republic, I want to be a freaking Knight of the Old Republic.

The problem with Galaxies is that they changed mid stream. If they allowed anyone to be a Jedi from day one, they wouldn't have the problems they have now, at least as far as the Jedi issue is concerned. People would still complain about too many Jedi running around, but gameplay trumps canon/lore. If everything else was good, too many Jedi wouldn't be an issue.

The other problem is that Jedi, by nature, are overpowered compared to other classes. If they try to make the game a PvP game, then they would have problems, but if it's a PvE game, balance isn't that important. LotRO is that way. Some classes have an easier time with certain quest, indeed, the Guardian class (Tank) can get away with doing many quest that they shouldn't be able to do level wise. For example, a Level 30 Guardian usually can do a level 33-34 solo quest with few problems. Not all classes can do that, but when they are the right level for a quest, they can complete it.

This is how I view Jedi. I don't care if they are more powerful than other classes as long as the other classes are capable and fun to play.

The other thing with KotOR is that there are different classes of Jedi. This is an excellent way to "de-power" the Jedi a bit. Rather than just making a Jedi, you would have to pick a Jedi class. The Consular, for example, could be the Healing Class. They would still have to be capable fighters, and obviously have some offensive powers, but their focus would be on healing. Still, a Non-Jedi Medic/Doctor, would still be a better healer, just not as good a fighter.

The other Jedi classes could be balanced similarly, and new Jedi classes could be introduced, such as a tech oriented Jedi class.

Anyway, that's my two cents at this point.

Maybe they will have a 'Jedi-killer' class, the likes of Atton in TSL. You know, the elite non-Jedi/Dark Jedi soldiers that were especially adept at killing Jedi. Or an HK-47 class? That would balance it. It would make sense if it was set during the Jedi Civil War and the TSL timeframe.

Either that, or they'll nerf Jedi to being comparable with other classes, which will result in massive Whining from every Canonite from here to the South Pole about how Jedi can't take win against larger numbers of Non-Force Users. Which wouldn't be so bad, actually, but I still think we'd be a lot better off with No Jedi whatsoever.

This is how I view Jedi. I don't care if they are more powerful than other classes as long as the other classes are capable and fun to play.

The other thing with KotOR is that there are different classes of Jedi. This is an excellent way to "de-power" the Jedi a bit. Rather than just making a Jedi, you would have to pick a Jedi class. The Consular, for example, could be the Healing Class. They would still have to be capable fighters, and obviously have some offensive powers, but their focus would be on healing. Still, a Non-Jedi Medic/Doctor, would still be a better healer, just not as good a fighter.

The other Jedi classes could be balanced similarly, and new Jedi classes could be introduced, such as a tech oriented Jedi class.

My thoughts too. :D

While I don't mind Jedi.. and certainly don't want ten bajillion running around, maybe make them an unlockable class or a required quest to receive the training rather than *poof* you start the game as a Jedi. A good balance between them, such as splitting up their benefits into Jedi classes (above) and not nerfing other non-Jedi classes can help keep the playing fun.

Simply not allowing them will kill the MMO before it gets started.. if not seriously wounding it from startup. People think "jedi" when they think Star Wars. Maybe not their main interest.. or preferred for that matter.. but they are important to the history. Especially during the KotOR time period.

I think the MMO would do well to include them... just make sure they are balanced properly and not tipping the scale. :)

Would there be a point to playing it if you can't be/become a Jedi? I want to be a Knight of the Old Republic, not a slave dancing girl of the Old Republic. :) I don't really care if I'm one at the start or unlock it along the way, I just want to be one at some point during the game, and have the opportunity to play as one for awhile--i.e. I don't want to be made one at the end of the game. They could certainly use the Force-sensitive/padawan/knight/master progression as a level-up method, and do the PvE quests against Sith or whatever bad-guy-du-jour they come up with.

It'll also be good if it includes Jolee!! Can you imagine having the opportunity to be Jolee's padawan? That would be hilarious. :D

One, you'll never be Jolee Bindo's Padawan in an MMO unless 1/3 of the other players are also his Padawan.

For two, there's more to Star Wars than the Jedi, surprisingly. This forum, whenever I comment on this, seems to forget the games where you don't play as a Jedi, like X-Wing, Republic Commando, or Dark Forces, Jedi Knight notwithstanding. You know what else is true? Those are three of the most popular Star Wars games ever.

I feel that the Jedi will be a big factor in the game.

The game can do two things or both;

You can choose the Jedi Civil war era or after kotor2 ( ie. kotor3).

The plus of being in the Jedi Civil war era is joining a side in the war amd fight the sith or Jedi. The problem is that we all know how the story ends which limits surprises.

The plus to making it take place after kotor2 is that the creators can create a new plot which will keep the players guessing. The creator can add new factions, show hidden Sith groups that broke off back during the Sith civil war on Korriban. Plus you can actually feel like you alter the game.

After kotor2 :

Factions:

2 Sith groups you can join and hidden Sith roaming the Galaxy . Each have their own personality just as the Sith in kotor1 and kotor were different.

Jedi hidden academy and the Lost Jedi. The Jedi academy will have certain Jedi rebuilding the order. The Lost Jedi are Jedi in Exile who can teach you the ways of the force.

Republic

Mandalorians

Exchange

Plus a new threat to the Republic that’s not Sith. Could be a Ruler challenging the Republic’s rule.

What will make it work;

The game has to take in the influence factor in the game.

Two areas this can be applied.

1_ The player hire or have others join them on their quests (NPCs). You can take one or maybe 2 NPCs with you. They can be turned to the light or the dark side in personality. When you learn the ability to see the people’s alignment the next step is sensing the force in others. This will lead you to take on a padawan which you will get from your faction. There will be special NPCs out there which you can also find and train in the force.

I could write for another 4 pages on this and the non Jedi factions but onto the next….

2_second idea is to have what you do affect cities. You can change the cities alignment to favor a faction. Example a city might be anti Jedi do to the war. You can help turn the alignment of the city to more favorable to Jedi which can lower costs in items and get more options on quests.

The number one thing is ……Story!

The creators have to plan to update the story every 6 months and create a new Epic conflict to grow out of this world. If the player feels that they are contributing to not just there character but also the story that golden. If Bio-ware has an out line of the story, ex kotor3 and use this formula I believe they will succeed where Galaxy has not.

Logan

Archived