Home

MMOtor will be good if...

Fiestainabox

One, you'll never be Jolee Bindo's Padawan in an MMO unless 1/3 of the other players are also his Padawan.

For two, there's more to Star Wars than the Jedi, surprisingly. This forum, whenever I comment on this, seems to forget the games where you don't play as a Jedi, like X-Wing, Republic Commando, or Dark Forces, Jedi Knight notwithstanding. You know what else is true? Those are three of the most popular Star Wars games ever.

Have you ever considered that people talk about Jedi's alot in Star Wars games because this is the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic bit?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it is set during the Wars, I think everyone will start off as a soldier, Sith, Mandalorian, Republic or Mercenary, and work up to better classes, Commandoes, Assassins, Jedi killers, Sith Lords/Assassins/Marauders, Jedi. Maybe it will be based on how quickly you gain levels, your combat record, etc.?

If it is set during the Wars, I think everyone will start off as a soldier, Sith, Mandalorian, Republic or Mercenary, and work up to better classes, Commandoes, Assassins, Jedi killers, Sith Lords/Assassins/Marauders, Jedi. Maybe it will be based on how quickly you gain levels, your combat record, etc.?

I actually wouldn't mind this at all... would definitely add some depth to the game rather than the standard MMO of *poof* there ya go.

Granted most MMO's genre adopts this method out of necesity and within guidelines, but Star Wars is "generally" a military-ish style. Ranks, Chain-of-Commands and 'working to your goals' would seem to fit rather nicely into the StarWars genre. Not sure how you could explain Smuggler rather then the *poof* implement (and granted, if there is such a class ;) ) but overall, I like SW01's idea. :)

If we are still worried about the problem of too many Jedi, wouldn't every Jedi not becoming a Jedi until later in life be just as bad?

This is just something I'm thinking about, but perhaps the problem of everyone playing a Jedi could be solved with a simple game mechanic. Jedi don't have a desire to acquire wealth. Perhaps making money a lot harder to come by with a Jedi would be all that is needed to keep the other classes in high demand and balance the class populations.

I play a Guardian in LotRO. Up until recently, we had the horrible repair bills. We still have the highest, but it's not nearly as bad as it once was. Guardians are tanks. Not only do we take (hopefully) the majority of the hits in a group, we kill slowly in solo play. Basically, we get hit a lot more than every one else. Add to that the fact that we wear heavy armour and use a heavy shield, both of which cost more to repair than other armours and shields, and it becomes an expensive class to play. Luckily, Turbine lowered our shield repair cost to be in line with regular shields and gave us skills that lower the damage our equipment takes.

Just as an example, if I go out and quest for an hour, it might cost me 75 silver to repair my equipment. The Champion, which is a DPS melee class, also wears heavy armour but kills a lot quicker. He might only have yo pay 50 silver to repair his equipment. It doesn't sound like a lot, and it's not really meant to be an accurate numerical representation, but even a little bit of extra money to spend will add up over time.

So how does this relate to Jedi? Well, in most MMOs, you receive money for completing quest. As a Jedi, money is far from a driving factor in life. Perhaps simply lowering, or nullifying, the credits received for quest completion is all that would be needed to keep the population in check and the other classes popular.

"Oh! Thank you Master Jedi! And what's this?! You won't accept any credits? Truly, there is still good in the galaxy!"

Perhaps even lowering the credits you will receive for items sold to a vendor would be a good idea, as well. I don't see Jedi as trying to get the most out of a deal. If they are selling something, they probably will just take what they can get.

Also, perhaps the other classes could get bonuses to buying and selling. A Scoundrel for instance would always try to get the most out of a deal. Well, unless he or she was more interested in running from the authorities and just wanted to get the deal done. lol

A Soldier might know armour and weapons really well. Hence, the soldier would know a good deal on those items when he or she was negotiating. The Soldier wouldn't know other items very well, and would buy and sell at the base price.

"Well, I'll just send my capped out Jedi's vendor trash to my level one Scoundrel and make my credits that way!"

Perhaps the bonuses could be level based. For example using the Scoundrel, at level 10 they might get a +1% pricing bonus with vendors. At level 20, it might increase to 2%, and so forth. This would mean that to reap any monetary benefits of a class, you would have to play that class. Also, vendor prices would have to be set so that in order to take advantage of this system you would have to level up. With this idea, Jedi would be extremely hard to make money with. While the other classes would be normalized. Essentially, the Jedi's money making ability would be mega nerfed.

Anyway, just an idea.

Story, Story, Story… I really don’t know how they are going to make a good story in an MMO; I feel it will be very difficult to have a compelling story when you have a million people running around trying to do the same thing and complete the same quest.

They will have to do an excellent Job in this department to sell me on a KOTOR type MMO. After the debacle called Galaxies.

I supposed it is possible but the leaders of the factions would have to be NPC’s, such as the Jedi Council So if you were playing as a Jedi, you would get your missions from them. The same thing for the Sith, Republic solders, bounty hunters/ mercenaries, etc….

I also feel that this MMO to be any good it would have to take place during a time when the Jedi were numerous, such as during the Jedi Civil War. I mean let’s face it Most of the people playing the game will want to be a Force users either Jedi or Sith.

Now to what I think would make the game story good, First off I am a big fan of RPG’s because of the control a player has over their character’s progression, and how your decisions, make your character what they are, such as in the KOTOR series. So having control over what and who your character is and does is very important IMHO.

I think they should have as many classes as there are in the Star Wars universe, it will be hard for them to do and Program for it, but we are talking about what make the game good not what it would take for them to program it.

I think they should allow you to be a Jedi if you want to be, not limit it, but and a very BIG but, you would have to start young let’s say oh 13 or 14, and you start at the Jedi Temple waiting to be picked as a padawan, then another player that has progressed to the status of Jedi Knight (once they reached the level necessary) or a NPC, could pick you as a padawan, but to be picked as a padawan you would have to prove yourself by using force powers, showing your control over the force, lightsaber sparring , etc… Then the NPC or other player could pick you based on your merit and your training and the game could go from there. Now people will ask what if you don’t get picked as a padawan then you either pick another class or continue working on your skills in the temple until you do. That is why I added the NPC, let face it if this is during the Jedi Civil War they will need all the Jedi they can get.

This same type of character progression could be used for smugglers, bounty hunters and the Sith classes. Smugglers you start as a errand boy or girl on a ship after hanging around a space port looking for work the age might be different like 16 or 17, but you would still be young. This age would vary for the different classes, but would be around that same time period. Let’s face it Boba Fett started when he was 14 or so. Not to mention starting at the young age will extend the game that much longer, until you get old and die if you don’t get killed in battle or something similar.

Then as your character continues your could choose to become a Sith or a Sith could choose to go to the Jedi. And the other classes could change their alignment as well.

If we are still worried about the problem of too many Jedi, wouldn't every Jedi not becoming a Jedi until later in life be just as bad?

I agree with this statement that is how and why I came up with my scenario

Perhaps making money a lot harder to come by with a Jedi would be all that is needed to keep the other classes in high demand and balance the class populations.

This might work, only if this was a time when the Jedi were at war and their bank account was being drained, but other than that the Jedi are known to have a lot of wealth, so getting money would not be that hard.( I might be wrong on the wealth thing but I do remember reading or seeing somewhere that the Jedi had an untold fortune)

Perhaps simply lowering, or nullifying, the credits received for quest completion is all that would be needed to keep the population in check and the other classes popular.

I believe this would be the case, for the Jedi Class but not for the Sith class.

Perhaps even lowering the credits you will receive for items sold to a vendor would be a good idea, as well. I don't see Jedi as trying to get the most out of a deal.

This I have a little issue with since Jedi items are usually in great demand but this could work if the general public is upset with the Jedi/Sith because of the civil war, which according to the book about Darth Bane is the case, then this would work out very well. If I was playing as a Jedi I would want to have at least one vendor per planet or have certain planets depending on their alignment to the Jedi or Sith where items could be sold for more credits. As far as getting the most out of a deal there are certain times when this would be the case for instance in TPM when Qui-Gon Jin was trying very hard to get Credits when he was on Tatooine so he could get the Queen of the planet. Overall you idea is a very good one, and with the few items I suggested would work very well.

Well there are a few thought on what would make the game good.

Sorry if this is a little long!

I'm probably sure most of you guys have gotton a lot of these threads recently ever since the rumors of the KotOR MMO and how websites and TV shows have been claiming that there is a new KotOR in the making. Well when I first heard about this I was speechless because it was my dream come true. The first KotOR completely blew me away. It was the greatest rpg I have ever played just because of one thing which is what the MMO needs to succeed.

Immersion, immersion, immersion, immersion. When you played KotOR you felt like you were in the Star Wars universe, the people, the weapons, the dialogue, everything. Where as when you played Galaxies (at least for me) it didn't truly feel like I was in the SW universe. I mean yeah sure there are the planets and the characters but other than that you just didn't feel it.

Another big thing that KotOR needs is definately a live action combat system. No, I don't mean something like NGE (ruined SWG). The main things that the system needs is to be fluid and not feel like your taking turns with attacks. I don't want to say copy the World of Warcraft system, but yeah they pretty much got the combat system right on the dot.

PvP is a touchy subject in a Star Wars MMO in my opinion. I honestly can't think of a way for it work, but the best way I believe for a PvP system to work is with Space, and player raids on cities or something but thats what I think.

Classes need to be diverse, plentiful, but some what complicated to rise in. Honestly I believe the old SWG class system was fantasitc, but it was just a grind. Going out with a group of 70's killing beasts on Dantooine is all I remember leveling up haha. They need to make it so that each class has a system of training like for example, Jedi's actually have to complete training lessons and a sense that ok, I'm a Padawan at a Jedi Temple or something. You could make it work to for other classes like Medics, actually practice healing and things like that, it would be complicated, or it could be an entire different system I just don't think it should be just ok kill kill kill yes I leveled up and now I can use a lightsaber or yay now I learned how to shoot someone a specific way. Just my 2c on that.

Planets need to be different from what we have seen but still have some of the old ones that everyone loves and make them detailed. I mean come on, outside of the cities are just rolling hills occasionally filled with a cave or two and they were just too too big. I think scale is a big thing like having a big planet is great but to the point SWG did it was just too much.

But lastly, the story is the crucial. KotOR's strongest point was the story, they need to take the time they have and make something spectacular about it. Don't just throw around a giant questline, have a storyline that changes and affects everyone.

I think that in fact this isn't an MMO (which I doubt, but I wouldn't mind to much) they need to make it more of an open world, but still have the fantastic story line. I loved the game so much I just wanted to explore more and more but once you got to the end of the story its game over.

Yeah sorry for the long ramble, but if this supposed MMO is true, I hope it will end my playing of WoW so I can play something belonging to to the greatest movie series of all time.

Jonathan, I always thought the whole Knights thing was a callback to the courage of medieval soldiers, being flung into the fray only to be trampled and crushed between two parralel charges of Knights on warhorses, trampling both friend and foe alike.

Really, though, just because this is the KotoR forum doesn't mean everyone here has to be a Jedi fanboy. Say it with me now. Jedi are not the Ubermensch. They're a bunch of Superheroes who have a tendency to go Evil at the drop of a hat.

Hardly. The crew of the Ebon Hawk takes on the role of a coterie of Knights in classic fantasy 'literature' (We call it pulp fiction) by taking on the villain and saving the world, or in this case, Galaxy. If it were really about the Jedi, it'd be Jedi Knights of the Old Republic.

It could be be referring to jedi knights. It could refer to you and your party as the heroes/knights that are defending the galaxy. You'll never know until you ask the person who came up with it. Can we all atleast agree it sounds alot better then:

Star Wars: A bunch of generic weirdo's trying to save the galaxy from a random uber 1337 powerfull enemiez0r

Hardly. The crew of the Ebon Hawk takes on the role of a coterie of Knights in classic fantasy 'literature' (We call it pulp fiction) by taking on the villain and saving the world, or in this case, Galaxy. If it were really about the Jedi, it'd be Jedi Knights of the Old Republic.

Why confuse people by using classic fantasy literature motifs that are in the same vein but in fact mean different things but have the same name... come on, Star Wars ain't that complicated man, Knights means the Jedi variant. Besides the name 'Knights of the Old Republic' was coined by Tom Veitch in his 1993 Tales of the Jedi Comic line (well the TPB) which is explicitly about the Jedi Knights, in the Old Republic and what they got up to, the KotOR games were born of this comic line, and it's creations, Planets, peoples, religions, factions and Wars make up a large basis and the content of the games.

Archived