Home

MMOtor will be good if...

Fiestainabox

I honestly was never into the whole instance thing...doesn't make sense story-wise for one group to kill the evil boss, then he just respawns for another group to kill. Where's the continuity?

I agree with this to an extent, but if a major "dungeon" area is not instanced it will simply be bait for the kids that actively try and ruin anything fun that you try to do. The only ways to avoid this type of behavior is to either have instances or have true dynamic adventures that aren't tied to locations.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:thumbsup:

My favorite in a slight OT. Has been the "butt" of many jokes in my DDO guild :lol:

Bottomless Bladder

Except for storyline purposes, video game characters are seldom forced to complete such mundane tasks as eating, sleeping, bathing, changing clothes, or going to the bathroom.

It's unrealistic, but largely practical. Imagine having to interrupt your crime rampage in Grand Theft Auto for a potty break. Of course, imagine having to interrupt your real life crime rampage for a potty break. You can't, can you? That's because your excretory system shuts down when you're exited, justifying this trope.

Another reason that this break from reality is usually tolerated is that game designers have historically been very bad at modeling the frequency of bodily functions with any degree of realism. The player character is either a camel on crystal meth, or a diabetic with narcolepsy, and rarely anything in between.

This often goes as far as the complete lack of bathrooms anywhere in the game.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Agreed.

KOTOR is suppose to be about story telling and plot twists, not some random generic Jedi, going to kill another jedi's (Like this MMO) I mean I blame both LucasArts and BioWare for this ignorance from them.

I hope this MMO is a failure, and gets them bankrupt.

I was thinking...what is kotor games.

I came to the idea they are those books you pick one action which can lead to a change in the story to a degree. Its the adventure and the path we take during our quest. We all play the game slightly different.

I was thinking they can use the system of chapter events.

For Example you play the event, Malak attacks the enclave on Dantooine. You can experience this moment. We all can tell each other how we survived or hunted the Jedi.

Servers can be setup as chapters in the story. The catch is that this will only work if the story takes place after kotor2. Every 3-6 months the story is mover forward.

Out of the 50 servers, 25 become the new story chapter. The player can stay as long as they want in that chapter but as time goes on the servers for the original chapter decreases and is only open to beginners.

Influence/ choice (ls/ds) is the other factor. They need to add this into the game. As for influence, you can influence key city figures to lean the city one way or another on certain world issues.

I still think it would be great to have one npc that you can hire. This person can be influenced by your action.

Start as force sensative ,padawan, Jedi, Jedi knight, Jedi master, Jedi master with padawan. This means you have to train them. The AI of the padawan could fall to the dark side or fight you if padawan if you fall or if they fall.

Logan

So basically... a jedi "pet?" That would be amusing. Personally, I would rather have an in-game mechanic for player apprenticeship. In any case, I will likely help diminish the Jedi demographic by playing a Mando.

As for chapters, I think this would work best if it stepped away from the big expansion mentality of past MMOs and instead became smaller story based expansions that the players could actually affect(not individually of course. Can't have a "Chosen One" among thousands of players). This would work best in a single server situation.

Another thing. If MMOTOR is to surpass SWG, then there will have to be a system for space combat. This isn't like WoW, where we are comparing apples to oranges. No matter what the era, Star Wars is Star Wars, and that means epic battles in space as well as against powerful empires and Sith Lords.

That would be an effective means of reducing Player Jedi Count - at the beginning, you select the Force Sensitive Class, which basically sucks in every possible way. You then have to find a Jedi player willing to go to the effort of training you - you can only gain EXP while grouped with another Jedi, for example. At the start, only Devs or a select group of people get the ability to train themselves. It's not ideal, but it's better than most ways that I can see.

Unfortunately, you can't have the devs pick players at the beginning. Players will scream favoritism, which caused a bit of trouble on Eve a while back. What you might do, however, is make the ability to train one's self a bonus given to those that preorder, or perhaps to people that beta test. In the end, I think that Jedi should be like dragons were supposed to be in Horizons(never played enough to see if it worked out): Incredibly slow to get to the upper levels of power, but truly potent combatants when they get there.

But they will likely just be watered down and balanced against everyone else in all aspects.

If its during the time after kotor2 then;

There are no real Jedi left....leaving a void and this will make it hard for force sensative characters to get trained and become Jedi.

You can learn the ability of sensing the force. As you learn this ability you will then seek out force riched areas. These locations are either hidden Jedi enclave, Sith lord/Sith/Dark Jedi, or even places strong in the dark side or light side of the force where you can meditate. You can use your force senses to help you seek out Jedi and Sith holocrons which will be scattered through out the galaxy. Remember many Jedi artifacts from the Dantooine enclave which were sold to people all over the galaxy.

This brings the search of being a Jedi as a inner quest vs just learning how to build a lightsaber.

There will be Jedi, exiled jedi, lost Jedi, Sith, dark Jedi, who will teach you in the ways of the force but you must perform quests to gain knowledge.

A player can share jedi/sith holcrons ,or even pieces of holocrons in order to spread knowledge. This will cause players to want to keep certain knowledge. Some holocrons will even give you quests. Players can teach each other but most of the base teaching will come from NPC's. You can gain influence or lose influence with the teaching npcs.

Once you become a Jedi which will take a time. There will be many who call them selves Jedi but will lack certain skills. In time you will be intrusted with a padawan given by NPC Jedi master. Sith will take you on his apprentice and will entice you to compete with other players to gain favor with the Sith. Once you gain enough power you can then seek out force sensative NPCs or even player which you can teach them in the ways of the darkside of the force. You can use the NPC apprentice to do your dirty work.

Logan

Still not fond of the jedi pet idea. One, there will almost definitely be enough PC jedi running around without having a bunch of brain dead NPC jedi following them around. Don't kid yourself into thinking that anything other than real time requirements are going to slow down the rise of the jedi once the methods for becoming one is known. Maybe the first person will keep it a secret, but what about the 2nd or the 10th? Eventually the method will be posted on MMOTORPlanet or whatever, and then everyone and their dog will be a jedi.

Besides, having a NPC apprentice really turns a really great opportunity for RP into a tamagotchi pet. It would be a great idea for a single player game where they could actually give the NPC depth, but not in a MMO.

Still not fond of the jedi pet idea. One, there will almost definitely be enough PC jedi running around without having a bunch of brain dead NPC jedi following them around. Don't kid yourself into thinking that anything other than real time requirements are going to slow down the rise of the jedi once the methods for becoming one is known. Maybe the first person will keep it a secret, but what about the 2nd or the 10th? Eventually the method will be posted on MMOTORPlanet or whatever, and then everyone and their dog will be a jedi.

Besides, having a NPC apprentice really turns a really great opportunity for RP into a tamagotchi pet. It would be a great idea for a single player game where they could actually give the NPC depth, but not in a MMO.

I agree the NPC Padawan would be hard to program. I believe that they need to keep the Jedi occupied after they reach Jedi level.

I would make the Jedi skills more about personalize then everyone getting the same abilities. I would like to see that there is a difference in Jedi so that everyone at level 11 don't have the same skills. I would like to see quests meant to temp the Jedi to shift to the dark side. The quests should be very grey so the player will have choices on how to complete the mission. you will gain light and dark force points which will affect your alignment.

There needs to be checks and balances, for example light sabers. If you make a lightsaber that get a bonus in desert envirnoments but it gets a penalty in swamps or some other areas. You can not make the ultamite lightsaber.

Logan

lol, yeah that would be funny,....hold on can we fight alittle to the right.... just a tad so my jedi is in the the non swamp area....its the only way my lightsaber can do damage,lol

Ok, back on topic;

The creators need to deal with balanceing Jedi skills/powers and also give them a purpose in the game's story besides fighting sith.

They need to define what it means to be a Jedi ,just as a soldier, smuggler and bounty hunter would be defined in the society of kotor.

Logan

Ironically, I believe the Sith are closer to D&D paladins than the Jedi. The Jedi are very cautious and slow to act for fear of turning to the dark side. The Sith are the hard charging warriors fighting for what they believe is right. The only problem is that after a while it goes from "fighting for what I believe is right" to simply "that which I believe is right."

The Sith don't fight for what they believe is right. The Sith fight for personal power. They are incredibly generic villains. Case in point - Anakin Skywalker. After becoming a Sith, he immediately butchers kids. Why? Because he's EEEEEVIL.

And really, take a look at a decent example of a D&D Paladin that isn't Miko Miyazaki and you'll realize that the Jedi way is actually emblematic of an effective Paladin.

Reason everybody went Jedi in galaxies(I think) was because it was so good.. and if you wanted to pvp you required the best because all pvp'ers play to be #1(talk about egos huh?)

Becoming a Jedi in Galaxies(originally) wasn't exactly the easiest thing in the world(holo-grinding and xp grinding both had their places) and going up the trees took time and effort.

Although if you ask me, they should make Jedi hard to get, and following Galaxies tradition keep it hidden how you do it and change it from a time to time without saying of course..

And make Jedi/Dark Jedi/Sith heavy roleplay characters.. If getting a Jedi or even just leveling it up takes ages with no real benefit other than to say: been there, done that. and just let Jedi training be RP based... Perhaps 1 Jedi lesson per day of any tier skill(although the higher tier the more difficult it gets, and if you fail then you can come back the day after since you used up todays lesson)

Might just do the trick and keep Jedi to within a minimum population since you could just go and do a bounty hunter and be done in a few weeks rather than a few months on a Jedi

Reason everybody went Jedi in galaxies(I think) was because it was so good.. and if you wanted to pvp you required the best because all pvp'ers play to be #1(talk about egos huh?)

Becoming a Jedi in Galaxies(originally) wasn't exactly the easiest thing in the world(holo-grinding and xp grinding both had their places) and going up the trees took time and effort.

Although if you ask me, they should make Jedi hard to get, and following Galaxies tradition keep it hidden how you do it and change it from a time to time without saying of course..

And make Jedi/Dark Jedi/Sith heavy roleplay characters.. If getting a Jedi or even just leveling it up takes ages with no real benefit other than to say: been there, done that. and just let Jedi training be RP based... Perhaps 1 Jedi lesson per day of any tier skill(although the higher tier the more difficult it gets, and if you fail then you can come back the day after since you used up todays lesson)

Might just do the trick and keep Jedi to within a minimum population since you could just go and do a bounty hunter and be done in a few weeks rather than a few months on a Jedi

No, I don't think that's the way to go.

Can I quote myself here? (Taken from the K3 speculation thread)

A player chooses to start as Jedi, but until you reach a certain level out of (e.g. 100), you character is played as a different class (e.g. Swordsman). Upon reaching the required level (e.g. 50) you then trigger some sort of event where you find out you are force sensitive, similar to the amnesia storyline of Revan, but not amnesia.

If the maximum level is 100, and the required level to find out about force sensitivity is half of that, that leads me to believe that quite allot of the population that want to be Jedi straight away and get really uber cool force powers will not want to wait that long, only players dedicated to getting there will do it.

The reason why I say this, is because I have played numerous MMO's, and if you want something but not so much that you have to level 50 levels to get there, you won't do it, which will ultimately, reduce Jedi numbers.

Another idea that I thought of that Da_Man_2423 elaborated on, to also add to the above idea, would be to cap the servers for the % of how many Jedi there are allowed, so the more people that join a server that aren't Jedi the more people will be able to play as Jedi. That would definitely guarantee more of any other class than Jedi.

~MZ

Unfortunately you will be losing a portion of your player base by restricting the Jedi class (I couldn't be a Sith Lord in Galaxies so much for that game)...

The deal with an MMO is to give you, the subscriber, entertainment but also basically what you desire (through grinding, etc.)... since it is a Star Wars product, set in the KotOR era, the Jedi/Sith are things that customers will want, and rightfully so as it is Knights of the Old Republic. Limiting them in any way is folly.

Perhaps the other available classes for said Star Wars MMO ought to be looked into, make them more appealing to play by giving them their own respective 'bonuses'.

Unfortunately you will be losing a portion of your player base by restricting the Jedi class (I couldn't be a Sith Lord in Galaxies so much for that game)...

The deal with an MMO is to give you, the subscriber, entertainment but also basically what you desire (through grinding, etc.)... since it is a Star Wars product, set in the KotOR era, the Jedi/Sith are things that customers will want, and rightfully so as it is Knights of the Old Republic. Limiting them in any way is folly.

Perhaps the other available classes for said Star Wars MMO ought to be looked into, make them more appealing to play by giving them their own respective 'bonuses'.

Couldn't agree more.. :D

especially on the other classes. I want to be a "Han Solo" darn it :fist: hehehe

Just remember my words - you make Force-Sensitivity easily accessible, and not only will RP turn into a raging cesspool of crap, but the forums will turn into an endless stream of pure undiluted whine about how either Jedi are too powerful or Jedi aren't powerful enough.

Archived