Home

Best voice acting on games

Ctrl Alt Del

The title is self-explanatory. Name the game(s) you think that has the better voice acting, and why. Wether it's for the atmosphere they created, the timing, the dialogs or the voice actors by themselves.

I'd have to say that Kingdom Hearts (especially the second one) had a great voice acting. You just have to take a look at the cast:

• Ansem, the Wise - Cristopher "CountDooku" Lee
  • Xehanort Heartless - Billy ThePhantom" Zane
  • Sora - Haley Joel "Iseedeadpeople" Osment
  • Kairi - Hayden "InvulnerableCheerleader" Panettiere
  • Riku - David "7thHeaven" Gallagher
  • Aerith - Mena "American Beauty" Suvari

Aside from countless other stars that features less important characters.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m going Mass Effect (especially using a Female PC)

Jennifer Hale – Female Shepard

Lance Henriksen – Admiral Hackett

Seth Green – Joker

Keith David – Captain Anderson

Liz Sroka – Tali (my favorite in the game)

Marina Sirtis – Matriarch Benzia

Steven Barr – Wrex

Kimberly Brooks – Ashley Williams

Ali Hillis – Liara T’soni

Brandon Keener - Garrus

Raphael Sbarge – Kaidan

Carolyn Seymour – Dr. Chakwas

Metal Gear Solid & Metal Gear Solid 2.

Hell, both those games are just pure class. Snakes lines are some of the best ever, second only to Duke Nukem in Duke 3D and some of the better chars in Warlords Battlecry II.

Snakes lines are especially good in the first one, where some great quotes, and my faves, have come from. His voice acting is just top-notch.

NWN2:

Bishop by Asa Seigel, so smexy! <3

Ammon Jerro by...dunno:P I hate the character, but great voice acting.

TSL:

Kreia by Sara Kestelman

Atton by Nicky Katt

T3, because random beeps and warbles are cute! <3

HK-47, because he is full of awesome

Jade Empire:

Everyone, especially Henpecked Hou :lol:

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, it's amazing how they managed to fill the world with "*******, yet awesome" people, cheers to the voice actors for pulling it off. That, and it's the only game where I can't kill someone because of their pleading.

Achilles: when you wrote ME I somehow read it as me. Wasted a good five minutes trying to figure out which one where you:D

Most of the games I play seem to have decent voice acting (Except Soul Calibur IV... *Shudders*), so I'm only going to list voices I thought were really damn awesome.

Xzar (Baldur's Gate) - Frank Weller

Minsc (Baldur's Gate) - Jim Cummings

Jon Irenicus (Baldur's Gate) - David Warner

Bishop (Neverwinter Nights 2) - Asa Seigel

Sand (Neverwinter Nights 2) - Fred Berman

HK-47 (KotOR) - Kristoffer Tabori

Carth Onasi (KotOR) - Raphael Sbarge

Atton Rand (KotOR) - Nicky Katt

Kang the Mad (Jade Empire) - Paul Eiding

Laharl (Disgaea) - Barbara Goodson

Gordon (Disgaea) - Michael McConnohie

Oh, and anyone voiced by Crispin Freeman.

There are plenty games with excellent voice acting, but very few voice actors put their souls into the character they're voicing. There are some, however, who really made me feel like I'm talking to a real person. Let me list some:

- Sara Kestelman (Kreia): Can't believe there's not more of you listing her. There's nobody else that could've done the voicing for Kreia better. The voice acting was simply perfect.

- Kristoffer Tabori (HK-47/HK-50): let's just say that this definitely wouldn't be our favorite assassin droid if Tabori wouldn't capture the character so well.

- Jennifer Hale (Bastila, Female Shepard): I have heard her voice in many games, but I never really thought much of it. It was good, but it never stood out (she was very bland in Jedi Academy, for example... couldn't believe it was her doing the voice acting). She did an excellent job on Bastila and Commander Shepard, however. Looks like she likes some roles better than the others (understandable).

- Merle Dandridge (Alyx Vance): Valve's excellent job on the facial animations would've been for nothing if they wouldn't find the right voice actor for Alyx. Luckily for them (and us), they did.

- Murphy Guyer (Ammon Jerro): not the best I've heared, but he's done a very convincing job on Ammon.

Barry Dennen (Master Li): captured the evil teacher who has to pretend he's noble perfectly.

- Michael Ironside (Sam Fisher): That guy is Sam Fisher, hehe. He even looks like him. :D

There are others, but I'm too lazy to list them now. :p

-Sara Kestelman as Kreia in The Sith Lords

-Kristoffer Tabori as HK-47 & HK-50's in Knights of the Old Republic & The Sith Lords

-Nicky Katt as Atton Rand in The Sith Lords

-Keith David as Captain Anderson in Mass Effect

-Murphy Guyer as Ammon Jerro in Neverwinter Nights 2

-Sarah Hamilton as April Ryan in The Longest Journey

Sara Kestelman's performance as Kreia in TSL is absolutely stunning. With every sentence perfectly performed, I'm surprised this ageing Shakespearean actress isn't better known within the video game industry. Best line would probably be "know that much may happen here, but above all, do not forget this—you may trust in me. We cradle each other's lives, and what threatens one of us, threatens us both. And if you find you cannot trust me, trust in your training. Trust in yourself. Never doubt what you have done. All your decisions have brought you to this point." For the first time in the game we get a sense of how old Kreia really is and Kestelman carries it out flawlessly.

You know, SHODAN just wouldn't be as threatening without the wonderful work of Terri Brosius in both System Shock games -- particularly the second. Who can forget that threatening, stuttering, and frightening line "Look at you, Hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?" No Freudian analyses of 'bone' and 'corridors', please. :xp:

I guess I also have to mention Tony Plana's role as Manny Calavera in Grim Fandango. Can't think of anyone else who could successfully pull off some of Schafer's more absurd (and, as such, brilliant) writing with an understated elegance which fits Manny perfectly. "I just locked an open door. Strange, yet symbolically compelling."

Best line would probably be "know that much may happen here, but above all, do not forget this—you may trust in me. We cradle each other's lives, and what threatens one of us, threatens us both. And if you find you cannot trust me, trust in your training. Trust in yourself. Never doubt what you have done. All your decisions have brought you to this point." For the first time in the game we get a sense of how old Kreia really is and Kestelman carries it out flawlessly.
That one gave me shivers. An amazing performance by Kestelman.

Nothing I can really think of that hasn't been mentioned already. I really love Jennifer Hale. Kreia is done superbly. Really both KotOR games, Mass Effect, Half Life 2, absolutely GLaDOS from Portal.

Actually there is one game that I don't think has been mentioned yet. All of the voice acting in Bioshock. Listening to Andrew Ryan in particular is an exceptional privilege. I always hated

killing him and not getting those fantastic radio messages

. All of the Splicers are done stupendously as well. Sometimes I hide just so I can listen to their depressing, yet morbidly humorous, rambling. There's semen....on everything! EVERYTHING!!

I give a big nod to mur'phon and Pavlos for mentioning VtM:Bloodlines and Grim Fandango. I think besides Smilin' Jack and Manny Calavera, the most memorable voice that sticks out to me is Dak'kon in Planescape: Torment. Part of that comes from the in-depth dialog and character development that helps enrichen the sound of Mitch Pileggi's voice (aka Skinner from X-Files). Pity he didn't have more spoken lines.

The best voice acting, in my opinion, goes to the Legacy of Kain series of games, after that I'd say VTM Bloodlines, KoTOR & TSL

Damnit you beat me to it. Legacy of Kain by far has the best voice acting I have seen. Especially Mortanius and the Elder God (Voiced by Tony Jay. God rest his soul). Bloodlines had good voice acting that really suited the tone and the theme of the game. Kotor and TSL had alright voice acting. Though I didn't like how the talking animation always looked the same and wasn't really synched with the voice.

Anything and everything with Cam Clarke.

Overlord- Intentionally bad acting done to perfection. Also, some very good acting as well.

Mass Effect - Overall quite good, but the Male Sheppard was horrible. Luckily, Jennifer Hale saved the day.

Tachyon: The Fringe - You play as Jake Logan, an exiled space pilot who is voiced by Bruce Campbell. His dialogue is, as always, great. For example, at one part of the game, you come across a pirate named "Redship" Rory. When you meet him, Logan says, "Redship? What kind of name is Redship? Tell your mother didn't really name you Redship."

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines - All the acting is superb. Smilin' Jack and, of course, Jeanette, are the best of a great cast. Though, there really isn't any bad acting in the game.

Geez... so many games. I know there are a lot more I could list, but I'll end here. Really, it would be easier to list bad acting. The past 10-15 years, game acting has really become legitimate. Anyone remember the first Resident Evil on the PS1? Thankfully, that kind of acting seems to be a thing of the past.

Archived