Home

Aunt Beru's Kitchen

Jae Onasi

Hayden GS suggested a place to put recipes, and here it is. Post all your favorite recipes or favorite dishes here--it'll be great to see all the variety from around the world. If you have a favorite dish but aren't sure about a recipe, post it here--we'll probably be able to find a good recipe on the net and then we can post it here for everyone to make and enjoy.

This is an international community--if possible when giving measurements, use both metric and English measurements so all of us can use the recipes.

Here is one converter that you can use--there are plenty of others out there, too.

I look forward to seeing lots of great dishes. :)

Here's a nice one to start off.

This is a recipe for 'Bara Brith' (English: 'speckled bread') which is a traditional type of bread, originally made in Wales (where I come from) and is perfect to eat with a nice cup of tea. :)

450g (1lb) mixed dried fruit

300ml (1/2 pint (1 cup)) tea

2 tbsp marmalade

1 egg, beaten

6 tbsp soft brown sugar

1 tsp mixed spice

450g (1lb) self-raising flour

honey to glaze

• Soak the fruit overnight in the tea.

• Next day, mix the marmalade, egg, sugar, spice, fruit and flour. Spoon into a greased 900g (1lb) loaf tin and bake in a warm oven (gas 3, 325ºF, 170ºC) for one and three quarter hours or until the centre is cooked through. Check from time to time that the top doesn’t brown too much, and cover with a sheet of foil or move down a shelf in the oven if necessary.

• Once cooked, leave the Bara Brith to stand for 5 minutes, then tip out of the tin on to a cooling tray. Using a pastry brush, glaze the top with honey.

• Cut yourself a slice (the same as you would bread), butter one side and enjoy! Store it in an airtight tin.

I'll do one - although I got this recipe from a friend of mine a couple of years ago. :xp:

Neiman-Marcus Cookie:

* --------------------------------------

* 2 cups butter

* 4 cups flour

* 2 tsp. soda

* 2 cups sugar

* 5 cups blended oatmeal++

* 24 oz. chocolate chips

* 2 cups brown sugar

* 1 tsp. salt

* 1 8 oz. Hershey Bar (grated)

* 4 eggs

* 2 tsp. baking powder

* 3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)

* 2 tsp. vanilla

* Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix together

* with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate

* chips, Hershey Bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches

* apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees.

* ++ measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder.

* ENJOY!

* ChAiNz

Yum.

_EW_

I see ur l337 h4ck3r skillz are improving :lol: - Cz

I posted this recipe for a Sammich in Ahto, but it was lost in the abyss :fist:

Anyways:

Ingredients:

Bread

Mayo (or Miracle Whip, it doesn't really matter. I use Miracle Whip...)

Bologna

Chicken

Pepper (the kind you would find in a Pepper Shaker >_>)

How to make:

1) Set up the bread

2) Put Mayo/MW on, make sure the entire freaking sammich is covered in Mayo/MW for the side your using.

4)Sprinkle on the pepper all over the Mayo. It doesn't really matter how much.

cinco)Put on your meats (one on each slice of bread)

9) sprinkle Pepper on the meat

8) Put the 2 pieces of bread together

Final) Eat

(note - I can has countin' skillz?)

Me again, with MOAR WELSH RECIPES.

This one is for 'Teisen Gymraeg' ('Welsh Cakes')

My gran taught me to make these when I was just 4. :D

225g/8oz self-raising flour, sieved

110g/4oz (preferably Welsh) salted butter

1 egg

handful of sultanas (a type of raisin)

milk, if needed

85g/3oz caster sugar (In the US this is called superfine sugar--powdered sugar could be used as a substitute if you can't find it)

extra butter, for greasing

• Rub the fat into the sieved flour to make breadcrumbs. Add the sugar, dried fruit and then the egg. Mix to combine, then form a ball of dough, using a splash of milk if needed.

• Roll out the pastry until it is a 5mm/¼in thick and cut into rounds with a 7.5-10cm/3-4in fluted cutter.

• You now need a bakestone or a heavy iron griddle. Rub it with butter and wipe the excess away. Put it on to a direct heat and wait until it heats up, place the Welsh cakes on the griddle, turning once. They need about 2-3 minutes each side. Each side needs to be caramel brown before turning although some people I know like them almost burnt.

• Remove from the pan and dust with caster sugar while still warm. Some people leave out the dried fruit, and split them when cool and sandwich them together with jam.

Tired of Italian, Ranch, Vinegar/Oil or whatever dressing you occasionally use? Here's something a little different to try next time you have some ruffage to go along with the dead, grilled animal of your choice :xp:

Works well for Thai dishes and a decent marinade (chicken or pork) as well :D

Spicy Peanut Dressing:

1/2 cup (120ml) unseasoned rice wine vinegar

1/3 cup (80ml) peanut oil

1 teaspoon (5ml) salt

1 tablespoon (15ml) sugar

1 teaspoon (5ml) minced garlic

1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) crushed red pepper flakes

1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5ml) soy sauce

1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5ml) hot sauce - (Tabasco, Búfalo, Valentina, Texas Pete, etc.)

1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5ml) fresh minced ginger

2 tablespoons (30ml) lime or lemon juice

1/3 cup (80ml) coarsely chopped salted peanuts

Whisk together all the ingredients except peanuts (unless using as marinade)

Stir in peanuts just before mixing with salad.

Here's one my wife taught me to make

Cherry Fluff

1 can of cherry pie filling

1 can of crushed pineapple (drained)

1 8 oz (226.8 grams) container of whipped cream

1 can of sweetened condensed milk

Stir in all ingredients in a medium or large dish, put in fridge for an hour or until chilled, serve and enjoy.

Just thought of another recipe that my friend and I made once.

Frog Dog Salad

First what you need is an at home deep fryer and some peanut oil (or any oil you choose that will work).

The ingredients is for one dish:

1 serving of crinkle cut french fries

4 oz (113.4g) of cheese dip (what ever kind you prefer)

2 hot dogs

relish

mustard

ketchup

vinegar

Once your deep fryer is ready carefully add in you 1 serving of crinkle cut fries. Fry until golden brown, and remove onto a plate with paper towels. Once the grease is drained off put them into a bowel.

While your waiting for them to drain, take your 2 hot dogs and dice them up, and heat up the cheese dip.

Next add desired amount of vinegar to fries, don't go overboard, as well as the cheese dip and diced hot dogs. Add how ever much of relish, mustard, and ketchup to it that you want.

Enjoy!!!

Alcoholic Mixes (beverage) for "Blue Milk". If this isn't your thing, please proceed to the yummy non-alcoholic recipe below :)

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

Blue Milk (Alcoholic)

3oz. (89ml) Blue Curacao liqueur

1oz. (30ml) Creme de Cacao liqueur

16oz. (473ml) Milk

1 Ice Cube

Pour the milk in a chilled glass. Add Blue Curacao and Crème de Cacao simultaneously. Stir. Add ice cube

Alternate Mix

3oz (89ml) Blue Curacao liqueur

3oz (89ml) amaretto almond liqueur

3oz (89ml) coconut rum

6oz (177ml) half-and-half or whole milk

Chill all ingredients beforehand, mix and serve ice cold in a beer glass for one(fill with dairy to the top), or mix and then split into two glasses over ice cubes.

Half and half or whole milk both accepted variations.

------------------

and a non-alcoholic beverage :D

Blue Milk (shake)- non Alcholic

2 cups (473ml) vanilla ice cream

2 cups (473ml) milk

1 (237ml) cup vanilla yogurt

2 large bananas *

1-1/2 tsp (7.4ml) vanilla extract

4 drops blue food coloring

Blend all ingredients in a blender until creamy.

* Substitue: 2 bananas = 1cup (237ml) blueberries OR 1 banana + 1/2cup (118ml) blueberries.

No food coloring required! :D

This isn't my own, I got it off of Down Home With the Neely's on the foodnetwork, but it is delicious if you like cole slaw. :D

Sweet and Spicy Coleslaw

2 pounds green cabbage

4 carrots

1 medium yellow onion

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup mustard

2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar

1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon cayenne

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Cut cabbage in quarters and remove core. Peel carrots and onion and cut into pieces that would fit through the feed tube of a food processor. Fit food processor with the large-holed grater attachment and push cabbage, carrots, and onions through feed tube to grate. In a large bowl, toss vegetables together.

In another medium bowl, prepare the coleslaw dressing by whisking together the mayonnaise, mustard, cider vinegar, sugar, black pepper, and cayenne. Toss dressing with the cabbage mixture, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.

-I hope this thread doesn't die down like the one back in Ahto. :/-

• 2 weeks later...

Strawberry Banana Smoothie

1 1/2 cup of milk

5 ice cubes

10 strawberries

2 bananas

1/2 cup of granulated sugar

Put all ingredients in a blender and blend on one of the lowest settings for about 45-60 seconds...put in a nice big cup and enjoy. It makes 2 servings.

To make a nice touch sprinkle water on a cup (inside and outside) and put it in the freezer

I made this recipe when I was pretty young, I hope you like it :drool1:

Chinese Silver Loaves

1 3/4 cups hot water

3 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons vegatable oil or shortening

6 cups plain flour

2 tablespoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoons salt

Add sugar and shortening to hot water and stir until sugar is dissolved and allow to cool until barely warm

Sift remaining ingredients into a large mixing bowl, and gradually stir in sugar mixture. Mix well and gradually draw dough together with your hands. It should be soft but not sticky

On a floured board, knead dough about 5-8 minutes or until smooth or elastic. Return to bowl, cover with damp cloth, and let rise at least 1 hour.

<_<

>_>

*waits patiently*

• 11 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Here's A Kolache Recipe for the Novice. Cooks.com has a lot of kolache recipes, too.. Enjoy.

Here's a recipe for poppy seed dressing. I pour it over a salad made with lettuce, chopped green onions, pecans that have been toasted with some sugar, and either mandarin oranges or sliced strawberries.

Poppy Seed Dressing

1/2 c. sugar

1/4 c. honey

1/3 c vinegar

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 teaspoon dry mustard

1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)

1 c. vegetable oil

2 tablespoons poppy seeds

Place the sugar, honey, lemon juice, vinegar, dry mustard, and salt in a blender or food processor. Mix well. With the blender or food processor running, slowly pour the oil in a thin stream into the mix so that the dressing emulsifies. Once the oil has been blended in, turn off the blender/processor. Fold in the poppy seeds with a spoon, and pour over the salad.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

With Halloween coming up i think these pumpkin pancakes are great, they are delicious and for an added bonus if you want to add chocolate chips you can and make pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes

1 1/4 cups flour

2 tablespoons sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ginger

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/4 cup low-fat milk

1/3 cup pumpkin

2 tablespoons butter

1 egg

Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, spices and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together milk, pumpkin, melted butter, and egg. Fold mixture into dry ingredients. Spray or grease a skillet and heat over medium heat: pour in 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Cook pancakes about 3 minutes per side. This recipe makes about six 6-inch pancakes.

Archived