Home

Transfering 8mm film...

Mav

Alright, I have an older Sony Camcorder that used 8mm film, and my parents want me to start converting that film to DVD. I just need to know how to transfer the 8mm film to my computer, I can convert and all that jazz to get it on a DVD later.

I used to have an iMac so I used the 4-pin to 6-pin Firewire to connect the Sony Camcorder to the camera to my Mac and used iVideo?? to import clips and such. So basically I know I need to pick up a 4-pin to 4-pin or USB cable. To connect my camcorder to my PC, so basically what I'm asking is will I need to have some sort of program to transfer the video off of my camcorder and onto my PC, or will Windows/My video card or something have that capability built in. As I'm typing this I realize I should probably just check Windows Movie Maker myself. So disregarding my stupidity any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

In vista or XP a camcorder won't capture via usb unless the device has usb drivers that allow it to be recognised as a video capture device in any of the capture programs.

I'm not sure now it is with Sony devices, but I could never get my Panasonic gear working via usb for vid capture. As a general rule though, newer devices are an USB happy, esp in Vista.

Plug it in and check it out. :)

As far as proggies go, WMM isn't fantastic, but it's quick in easy for if you just want basic stuff like titles, background music.

If your camcorder doesn't want to capture via USB for video, try it via firewire. If your pc doesn't have a firewire port you can get a firewire add in card or a USB capture device. the latter are particularly handy for capturing from analog sources like vhs, LPs etc.

good luck :)

mtfbwya

I don't know much about Windows Movie Maker *shudder* (sorry I use Apple's FCP).. however, if WMM has a setting for selecting controllable devices (inputs for video) you can select "Uncontrollable Device" or whatever Windows has to that effect.

That should enable a free-for-all video input stream. You basically hit record from the software and press play from the camera. Once the proggie receives a signal, it should initiate capture. Your camera cannot be in VTR mode if you try this ;)

Not sure if WMM is this in-depth though. Premiere might have it, but it's not a free editing program :giveup:

Archived