Home

Things that make you stop and think.

Have you ever thought about how we live our lives?

Waking up, Going to work, coming home, having dinner, and going to sleep, to start the sequence over again.

Thats the lives of several million people.

No difference is made.

Life should really be about spending your time making a difference.

Inventions.

War.

Preaching.

These are things that make differences to peoples lives.

It doesnt matter if your making your difference through crime to me,

as long as it happens your life isn't a waste.

I think about this every day, and many things can trigger it.

videos, watching people walk around, questions like: Who are you really?, War, Politics, and many many things.

What can make you think about life overall?

Have you ever thought about how we live our lives?

Yup

Waking up, Going to work, coming home, having dinner, and going to sleep, to start the sequence over again.

Thats the lives of several million people.

Thats the lives of a couple of billion people.

No difference is made.

Really?

Imagine a world without any street sweepers/dustmen - there streets would be full of crap.

Imagine a world without Doctors and Nurses - you and many others may well be dead.

Imagine a world without teachers - you wouldn't be able to read what I'm typing.

Imagine a world without policemen - serial killers, rapists etc would freely be running through the streets.

Imagine a world without homemakers - there would be no children; the human race would die out.

Imagine a world without farmers - we would all starve to death.

I think you maybe new the the philosophy thing; do not arrogantly presume, people don't make a difference.

Who are you to judge if someone is making a difference?

Inventions.

I suppose the nuclear bomb was a good invention?

War.

War? Silly boy! War should be avoided as far as can be possible, without conceeding to tyrants - war just brings suffering to the innocent.

Preaching.

Preaching what exactly, if I preach about sacrificing to the beanpole man, what do I really do?

These are things that make differences to peoples lives.

See above.

It doesnt matter if your making your difference through crime to me,

as long as it happens your life isn't a waste.

That sentence is so full of irony its untrue. So its ok to be a mass-murder/rapist/paedophile because your 'making a difference'?

I think about this every day, and many things can trigger it.

videos, watching people walk around, questions like: Who are you really?, War, Politics, and many many things.

What can make you think about life overall?

Have you asked these questions of yourself?

"Emancipation from the bondage of the soil is no freedom for the tree". -- Rabindranath Tagore

For me, my aim is this;

"We are here to add to the sum of human goodness. To prove the thing exists. And however futile each individual act of courage or generosity, self-sacrifice or grace-it still proves the thing exists. Each act adds to the fund. It needs replenishment. Not only because evil flourishes, and is, most indefensibly, defended. But because goodness is no longer a respectable aim in life. The hound of hell, envy, has driven it from the house".

-- Josephine Hart, "Sin"

"Whoever is open, loyal, true; of humane and affable demeanour; honourable himself, and in his judgement of others; faithful to his word as to law, and faithful alike to God and man....such a man is a true gentleman". -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

J7: Your quck typing skilzors ruined my fun:D

My aim: I'm a slave to my own concience, I believe our actions are guided by what we think benefits us the most. And to me, material wealth matters little, and the idea of doing "good" a lot, so in the end I do what I gain most by doing, which convieniently happens to be what is usually considered "good". That, and I wish to die only regretting what I have done.

Really?

Imagine a world without any street sweepers/dustmen - there streets would be full of crap.

Imagine a world without Doctors and Nurses - you and many others may well be dead.

Imagine a world without teachers - you wouldn't be able to read what I'm typing.

Imagine a world without policemen - serial killers, rapists etc would freely be running through the streets.

Imagine a world without homemakers - there would be no children; the human race would die out.

Imagine a world without farmers - we would all starve to death.[/Quote]

You hit it in one, Jonathan. Just because you don't see the difference, doesn't mean there is one. And just because someone may be less fortunate in their lives than another doesn't make theirs any less meaningful.

It's easy for us in the West to look at those in other parts of the world, and say 'They're insignificant, because they don't do anything' when, in actual fact, they do. They're just as happy as us without all the trappings of our ultra-modern society.

Really?

Imagine a world without any .....

I think you maybe new the the philosophy thing; do not arrogantly presume, people don't make a difference.

Those seem like examples of people who are making a difference. You don't have to be a scientist, politician, or religious to make a difference. Everyone is capable of making one in their own small way. I believe Jedi Master Aagin had the people who don't do such things in mind when making the post.

Who are you to judge if someone is making a difference?

everyone judges. Whether they mean to or not.. it may not be significant, it may be tiny.. but people make them. People make judgments and judgments calls each and every day. :confused:

Perhaps not.. but Vaccines, Medicines, the Wheel, Clothing, etc seems to be pretty good ones no? Not every invention is a means to malice ;)

War? Silly boy! War should be avoided as far as can be possible, without conceeding to tyrants - war just brings suffering to the innocent.
While I agree it should be avoided.. wars can benefit to unseat said tyranny and free people from inhumane treatment.

Preaching what exactly, if I preach about sacrificing to the beanpole man, what do I really do?
Preaching to respect your fellow man. Preach to pursue peace with your fellow man. Preach to educate mankind.

I'm not saying "get on your soapbox" kinda stuff.. but you can preach without 'preaching' so to say. Preach by example or as the saying goes.. Practice what you preach. :)

See above.

See above.

That sentence is so full of irony its untrue. So its ok to be a mass-murder/rapist/paedophile because your 'making a difference'?

Why take everything so literal and make the turn for the worse? Can't people read between the lines and get a sense of what the post is about. I'm pretty sure Jedi Master Aagin had "good" things, if not inpirational overtones to the post. If not, one can surmise to make good.

Broken eggs make good omelets. ;)

Have you asked these questions of yourself?

I have... yes.

For me, my aim is this;

And mine

"For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin.....

But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid.Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life."

~ Alfred Souza ~

Sometimes the glass IS half full... even for a pessimist such as myself ;)

Every action has a equal and opposite reaction. You change the world no matter what you do, and make a difference no matter how hard you try not to.

Imagine a world without farmers - we would all starve to death.

I think you may have misunderstood what he was trying to say.

I believe he is speaking about the repetitive grind of society. Sure, all the people you listed are cogs in the society wheel, but he is trying to point out that we are all cogs in the wheel.

If I understood him correctly, he's saying there are not enough individuals to stray from the repetitive machine that is human life. If that is the case, the none of the people that you listed above make any "difference" what so ever. They simply add to the cog machine, and do the same thing same thing that someone before, and after them will be doing as long as the society exists.

But, that is life. And you are a cog in the machine no matter what you do.

By some definitions, every body is always making a difference. By others, nobody ever makes a difference.

Try as you must, you and every body else are still cogs. Take that as you will.

You can thank the somewhat uneasy peace we've been having to the bomb. The invention gave us nuclear power, ended WW2, etc.

Take that as you will, but I'll think it is a good invention up until the point that it starts being used against people again in the same way I like to eat with a fork, but would hate the fork when someone jams it into my eye.

You can hate it as a weapon, but love it as a peace keeping tool.

I guess I'll throw it out there:

Who are you to judge if someone is innocent? People, not dictators, allow War is happen. If the people of France and Germany did not stand up against the Nazi's when they first came to power, why should we see them as the victim when they are invaded due to their own inaction?

Note:

That doesn't justify the Nazi's actions, however. Just because someone doesn't have their hands up to defend at all times doesn't give you the permission to punch them in the face.

War brings as much good as it brings bad. Hitler may have killed all those people in the Holocaust, but thanks to that we got much needed medical information and have saved millions. World War 2 may have ravished the world, but out of it we got the United Nations. American was in the depression before the war, but through a War economy managed to become the major superpower of the world.

Cogs in the machine. War is just another one of the cogs. Hell, it might even be the power source to the machine.

That sentence is so full of irony its untrue. So its ok to be a mass-murder/rapist/pedophile because your 'making a difference'?

Girl is raped as a child. Girl grows up and finds out she cannot have children of her own. Decides to adopt a child who has no parents, and may not got adopted otherwise.

Yin/Yang. Every action has a equal and opposite reaction. Whatever you want to call it. They are as much part of the machine that makes our society run as any other, in my opinion.

"We are here to add to the sum of human goodness. To prove the thing exists. And however futile each individual act of courage or generosity, self-sacrifice or grace-it still proves the thing exists. Each act adds to the fund. It needs replenishment. Not only because evil flourishes, and is, most indefensibly, defended. But because goodness is no longer a respectable aim in life. The hound of hell, envy, has driven it from the house".

-- Josephine Hart, "Sin"

You need "evil" as much as you need "good", and I think there is a balance of each. As much as you try to help good, you are simply adding to the evil fire in your own way.

everyone judges. Whether they mean to or not.. it may not be significant, it may be tiny.. but people make them. People make judgments and judgments calls each and every day.

Quoted for truth.

Perhaps not.. but Vaccines, Medicines, the Wheel, Clothing, etc seems to be pretty good ones no? Not every invention is a means to malice

They all have their multiple uses, and everything can be used for the "good" or "bad" every day.

Practice what you preach.

That is about as good as it can be said.

While we are on the subject of posts being 'mis-read' I think you may have misunderstood the tone of my posts :xp:

Those seem like examples of people who are making a difference. You don't have to be a scientist, politician, or religious to make a difference. Everyone is capable of making one in their own small way. I believe Jedi Master Aagin had the people who don't do such things in mind when making the post.

He should have made that clearer, it seemed to me he had just had an epiphany, and was then taking this out on the entire population of LF having not really thought it through...

everyone judges. Whether they mean to or not.. it may not be significant, it may be tiny.. but people make them. People make judgments and judgments calls each and every day. :confused:

If you judge people, you have no time to love them. – Mother Teresa

Depends what we mean by judge; I make a deduction based on facts - when most people 'judge' it is an assumption based on stereotype and bias. When I meet a person there outward appearance means nothing to me - I will 'judge' them on action.

Perhaps not.. but Vaccines, Medicines, the Wheel, Clothing, etc seems to be pretty good ones no? Not every invention is a means to malice ;)

No there not; but mankind makes the biggest technological leaps during war - says something about man really. Besides a lot of our modern medecine comes from benefits of medical 'discoveries' made by those inflicting the holocaust.

While I agree it should be avoided.. wars can benefit to unseat said tyranny and free people from inhumane treatment.

IMHO - Wars should only be made in two cases a) As a reaction - never make a pre-emptive strike, only a reactive one, once you have been attacked. b) To stop a genocide.

Preaching to respect your fellow man. Preach to pursue peace with your fellow man. Preach to educate mankind.

I'm not saying "get on your soapbox" kinda stuff.. but you can preach without 'preaching' so to say. Preach by example or as the saying goes.. Practice what you preach. :)

No difference of opinion there.

Why take everything so literal and make the turn for the worse? Can't people read between the lines and get a sense of what the post is about. I'm pretty sure Jedi Master Aagin had "good" things, if not inpirational overtones to the post. If not, one can surmise to make good.

With regards that sentence, I fail to see how I could read it in any other way - I can post you some of my philosophy books which try to make that argument that its better to make a difference good or bad than no difference at all, however (its Zimbardo time!);

2 Quotes for you...

"Our usual take on evil focuses on the violent, destructive actions of perpetrators, but the failure to act can also be a form of evil, when helping, dissent, disobedience, or whistle-blowing are required. One of the most critical, least acknowledged contributors to evil goes beyond the protagonists of harm to the silent chorus who look but do not see, who hear but do not listen. Their silent presence at the scene of evil doings makes the hazy line between good and evil even fuzzier. We ask next: Why don’t people help? Why don’t people act when their aid is needed? Is their passivity a personal defect of callousness, of indifference? Alternatively, are there identifiable social dynamics once again at play?" (From Chapter 13, page 314) Philip Zimbardo – The Lucifer Effect

"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

1 Haile Selassie, former Emperor of Ethiopia.

Broken eggs make good omelets. ;)

That my friend depends entirely on the egg you break in the first place :xp:

I have... yes.

I was only asking the question of the poster, as he seemed to have gone off on a tangent, without having considered the implications of his own thought process to himself.

Sometimes the glass IS half full... even for a pessimist such as myself ;)

I'm neither a pessimist or an optimist - if the glass contains 50% milk, then that is how much it contains, no need to cry over spilt milk :xp:;)

While we are on the subject of posts being 'mis-read' I think you may have misunderstood the tone of my posts :xp:

:lol: I still lurve ya.. ya know.. In a manly, macho kind of way. Soooo.. how about that <insert sporting event here> :D

He should have made that clearer, it seemed to me he had just had an epiphany, and was then taking this out on the entire population of LF having not really thought it through...

Perhaps. But epiphanies don't always take the tone of 2+2=4. Most are guided by bursts of emotion upon the 'revelation'. Emotions inspire or cause reaction/discussion... "teacher speak" make people check the next post in AHTO.

Not everything needs to be made clear by graphs, charts and thesis papers. Reading between the lines, reflection and deductions from that. You can't be a robot and be turned on all the time.

Depends what we mean by judge; I make a deduction based on facts - when most people 'judge' it is an assumption based on stereotype and bias. When I meet a person there outward appearance means nothing to me - I will 'judge' them on action.
It's a form of judgment nonetheless.

No there not; but mankind makes the biggest technological leaps during war - says something about man really. Besides a lot of our modern medecine comes from benefits of medical 'discoveries' made by those inflicting the holocaust.
And that makes it, the invention, bad because of the circumstances it was discovered through? Invention itself is not evil or bad nor is the circumstances that bring it about... not always that is. I don't deny the fact that some circumstances were not on the best of terms, but not every single one of them. Invention in itself is beneficial.

IMHO - Wars should only be made in two cases a) As a reaction - never make a pre-emptive strike, only a reactive one, once you have been attacked. b) To stop a genocide.

No arguments from me :)

No difference of opinion there.

can I have a hug? :D

With regards that sentence, I fail to see how I could read it in any other way -

I did. :xp:

I can post you some of my philosophy books which try to make that argument that its better to make a difference good or bad than no difference at all, however (its Zimbardo time!)

Meh, we can quote each other till the cows come home.. we both know there are quotes to counter other quotes. It's what we ourselves draw from them that can make a difference:

It is possible to be a master in false philosophy, easier, in fact, than to be a master in the truth, because a false philosophy can be made as simple and consistent as one pleases.

George Santayana

I'm not saying you're a master in false philosophy, btw. I have far too much respect for ya man :) Just a quote to argue about the ineffectiveness of quotes, nothing more :D

That my friend depends entirely on the egg you break in the first place :xp:

Touche' and a very fine point :lol:

I was only asking the question of the poster, as he seemed to have gone off on a tangent, without having considered the implications of his own thought process to himself.

I can't deny that... since I don't know what Jedi Master Aagin had in mind when posting. However my arguments are what I perceived from it. :)

I'm neither a pessimist or an optimist - if the glass contains 50% milk, then that is how much it contains, no need to cry over spilt milk :xp:;)
You r robot? :xp:

:lol: I still lurve ya.. ya know.. In a manly, macho kind of way. Soooo.. how about that <insert sporting event here> :D

Olympic Football (Soccer)?

In the interests of maintaining the gist of Chainz post I won't reply ;)

But I love and respect you too Chainz - in a manly way of course... Grrrr! ;)

can I have a hug? :D

Of course; *manly hug with customary pat on back*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xCio8KpY2k

Meh, we can quote each other till the cows come home.. we both know there are quotes to counter other quotes. It's what we ourselves draw from them that can make a difference:

Depends on the quote(s) :xp:

I can't deny that... since I don't know what Jedi Master Aagin had in mind when posting. However my arguments are what I perceived from it. :)

Perhaps JMA would like to clarify what was meant...

You r robot? :xp:

I'll be back!...

Olympic Football (Soccer)?

As long as it isn't men's swimming.

Phelps is too much Adonis-like. It's no sport when he crushes everyone like he has been doing lately (go USA :patriot:) :lol:

Of course; *manly hug with customary pat on back*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xCio8KpY2k

LOL! classic.. :thumbsup:

Perhaps JMA would like to clarify what was meant...

I concur :)

I think it would help us all better in the discussion..

It was neither good nor bad, like all inventions ;)

It may have been used in a way that you don't agree with and think is wrong (which is debatable in itself) but that doesn't mean nuclear technology is bad.

_EW_

As long as it isn't men's swimming.

Not cool, ChAiNz, not cool. :indif:

Every action has a equal and opposite reaction. You change the world no matter what you do, and make a difference no matter how hard you try not to.

QFT. Very well said Avery. :golfclap:

@ topic- I think about this stuff all of the time. I have no idea where you live (unless of course it is in your location :)) but try watching Dirty Jobs. It shows dirty jobs that people have that make life smoother and easier for the rest of us. Some people are called to do certain things. They love what they do and in one way or another they make a difference. I mean, I was watching the Olympics last night and there was a commercial for some college or something, and there was a lady that gave massages. She said that she feels like she made a difference in someone's life after she gave them a massage. That is obviously what she was called to do, and she obviously loves her job. Simple things. I know that I wouldn't want to make a living giving massages. :)

Different strokes for different folks.

I think about this stuff all of the time. I also wonder why we have two (sometimes one) patch(s) of hair above our eyes. However, that is irrelevent. :)

I have a good one.

"The world is like a ride at an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it, you think it's real, because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round and it has thrills and chills and it's very brightly colored and it's very loud. And it's fun, for a while.

Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: 'Is this real? Or is this just a ride?' And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and they say 'Hey! Don't worry, don't be afraid - ever - because... this is just a ride.' And we kill those people.

'Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride! Shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry; look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real.'

It's just a ride. But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that - ever notice that? - and we let the demons run amok. But it doesn't matter, because... it's just a ride, and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort. No worry. No job. No savings and money. Just a choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your door, buy bigger guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love, instead, see all of us as one.

Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, into a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defense each year and, instead, spend it feeding, clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would do many times over - not one human being excluded - and we can explore space together, both inner and outer, forever. In peace.

Eyebrows basically serve as 'protection' for sweat, rain and moisture that could damage the eye. That's, AFAIK anyway.

Ah

Trust me, when playing football (soccer) in 30 C heat, eyebrows don't stop the sweat getting in my eyes :xp:

Oh

Your eyebrows are inferior :carms:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

FLCL%20Eyebrows.gif

:D

Good one. :D

@Jedi Master Aagin, as others have said, everything you do has an effect whether you realise it or not. Sure, it may not be as dramatic as killing someone (for example), but yes, it has an effect. Even something as small as giving way on the road might make someone's day a little better (I should know! *traffic jam emo*).

It is up to you to derive meaning from your life--from your interactions with others, from your job, from your religion (if you have one). If you feel that the only worthy things are those that affect as many people as possible, by all means, strive for it. Just, erm, try not to suddenly start waging war or falling into crime. As wiser people than me have said, it's generally not very cool.

Archived