Home

Maul, sith lightning?

Doctorjones

Sorry if this has already been posted before, but just out of interest.

Did Darth Maul ever use Sith lightning? I no he doesn't in the Phantom Menace. I would be suprised if he didn't at some point, or maybe he just wasn't strong enough or skilled enough to use it yet?

Any thoughts?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm under the impression that lightning is not a power that any schmo can use just because they're a dark-sider and they know another dark-sider who can. It's a pretty badass power and can do quite a lot of damage, so I doubt it would be easy for a person to learn.

One might be interested by the fact that Maul uses lightning in both the Episode I movie game and in Jedi Power Battles (a loosely-based action game), but I don't think they can be taken as evidence on their own.

I agree with LordofTheFish. We agree with Rev, Darth Maul was most definately a swordsman. This thread could start to get repetitive.

Darth Maul is certainly not "any Schmo". He was powerful enough for something like that, he probably just didn't want to use it... or even bother to learn it.

Come to think of it, Darth Vader didn't use Lightning, either... at least, in the movies.

That's because he's missing certain essential appendages to be able to do it.

Darth Maul is certainly not "any Schmo". He was powerful enough for something like that, he probably just didn't want to use it... or even bother to learn it. [/Quote]

Given we see Maul for all of about half an hour, how did you reach the conclusion that he was powerful enough to use it?

Well, he was able to kill a Jedi Master first time, the only reason he got killed was because Obi-Wan was ticked at him for killing Qui-Gon and he was barely able to out maneuver Maul and kill him...

No, he didn't kill a Jedi Master first time - he fought a stalemate on Tatooine, or did you forget that?

He got killed because he was overconfident in his situation - there's no way a mere padawn could kill a Sith Apprentice, right?

But none of that is proof that he knew how to use Force Lightning.

No, he didn't kill a Jedi Master first time - he fought a stalemate on Tatooine, or did you forget that?

He got killed because he was overconfident in his situation - there's no way a mere padawn could kill a Sith Apprentice, right?

Acutally I did forget, but even Qui-Gon said that Maul was extremely powerful, what would stop him from using force lightning?

Sorry if this has already been posted before, but just out of interest.

Did Darth Maul ever use Sith lightning? I no he doesn't in the Phantom Menace. I would be suprised if he didn't at some point, or maybe he just wasn't strong enough or skilled enough to use it yet?

Any thoughts?

Darth Vader never used Sith Lightning.

Good call, that's why he could choke enemies, right? :rolleyes:

Though a powerful Sith Lord, Darth Vader's usage of Force lightning was suppressed, due to the prosthetic arm he had fitted to replace a hand lost in battle with Count Dooku, and after the disastrous confrontation on Mustafar (although his trademark use of Force Choke more than compensated for this lack). Vader could not channel lightning through his body for fear of damaging his cybernetic implants, and also meant he became much more vulnerable to the effects of Force lightning. This vulnerability would eventually contribute to his death. Although there is one case where Darth Vader did use Sith lightning. When Darth Vader was in close proximity to the presence of the Kaiburr Crystal on Circarpous V, the amplification effects of the Force caused the Dark Lord's affinity with the dark side of the Force to expand even greater. As a result, the crystal granted Vader the ability to cast Force lightning, normally impossible due to Vader's bionic limbs and life-support systems.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_lightning

... or prove that he cannot.

He DID kill Qui-gon Jinn, while Obi-Wan was helping- even if he fought to a stalemate the second time, Qui-Gon had a spaceship that time. So I draw the conclusion he's pretty powerful. But yes, we all think he's the swordsman type. Why else would he be showing off with that double-sided saber? And we never actually see him explicitly use any Force Powers.

• 1 month later...

We do see him use the force. He throws something into a door lock during the fight, and then force pushes Obi down a hole.

I've always seen the good swordsmen and the strong force users as two ends of the power spectrum personally.

Powerful doesn't always mean all-round good. When we see a great blademaster like Kas'im, we can say that he's powerful. When we see Palpatine uses Force Storm, we can say that he's powerful. And it seems that Maul prefer using the force to "empower" his body and use his rage and hate to create force fury. I make prediction like that because he never shows any use of force like sith lightning, but he won't be a sith if he can't use the force. I remember a picture, showing Maul withstands a Sith lightning. I think he's using force fury to withstand that pain. Anyway, there's no evidence Maul uses Sith Lightning, so I don't believe he can.

As we remember in ANH one aspect of using a lightsaber is using the force for Precognition, increased speed, precision and power. I often see a Force user sable fight as a battle using both mind and muscle... the ultimate test (like Dooku vs YOda) That is when when in the middle of a battle they are literally moping the floor with every non-force user in the battle.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, he was able to kill a Jedi Master first time, the only reason he got killed was because Obi-Wan was ticked at him for killing Qui-Gon and he was barely able to out maneuver Maul and kill him...

I say my friend,

He could of killed Obi-Wan with the same move that Obi-Wan did on Anakin in there Battle on Mustafar.

But yeah.

But That is beside the point, I agree on the idea of that he could use it but just did not

care to. He, in my opinion used force push more than anything. (as he used it to push Obi-Wan into that pit)

• 6 months later...

Archived