Home

Which non-WoW MMO's Do You Actually Recommend?

Tysyacha

Which MMO's Do You Actually Recommend?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which MMO's Do You Actually Recommend?

• Star Wars: Galaxies (since that's a Star Wars MMO)
    • Guild Wars
    • EverQuest I
    • EverQuest II
    • Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures
    • Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    • Dungeons and Dragons Online
    • Lord of the Rings Online

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my opinion instanced explorable areas is a big plus, and a significant part of the reason I play Guild Wars instead of some other MMO. There are, unfortunately, too many people out there whose idea of fun is to ruin the experience for others. Being able to just ignore them with no impact on your game play, and team up with the people you actually want to play with, is a good thing. :)
When I said it didn't bother me, I meant I was really happy with that. :p I can't compare with other MMO's, but in explorable areas you can very much do everything at your own speed without having to look out for thieves and other annoying people.

Hey, what do you know, I guess dreams really can come true! Now, if only it wasn't subscription based and more like Guild Wars, then perhaps I might just play this after all.

Will the game feature player vs. player (PVP) battling?

While LEGO Universe is not being designed as a PVP-centric game, there will be opportunities to compete with friends and other players in a variety of scenarios. LEGO Universe will offer both cooperative and competitive challenges to facilitate fun, creativity, and inspiration for the fan community.

Now, this will be fun. I can see it now:

"I challenge you to a duel with my tank!"

"So what? I have an AT-AT." *crushes opponent to death*

Will other players be able to wreck my creations?

In LEGO Universe, you will decide whether or not other players can alter your creations. Players will be able to select options designating their creations as “smashable” or not!

:lol:

I know that all games have several different factors, and I'd like you to rate them for the four or five that actually received responses in the poll. Did I make any sense? Here are the games: Star Wars: Galaxies, Guild Wars, Age of Conan, DDO, and LoTRO.

Here are the categories, and I'd like you to rate only one game as highest for each:

Best Overall Graphics, Sound, and Atmosphere:

Best Character Customization Options:

Best Story-Driven Quests and Quest Series:

Best Solo-ability Options:

Best Roleplayability Factor:

Most Players (if you know):

Thanks for the help!

Tysyacha

Low level spells can be enhanced via metamagic feats.. so even lower level spells become quite useful during all stages of the game. Especially since the introduction of (Mod 6?) devils. As highly resistant to magic as they are.. a good ole empowered, maximized web (3rd level spell) will stop them in their tracks for the meat shields to do their work :lol:

By use of metamagics, you can essentially raise a low level spell up to your maximum level of spell casting (ie.. a 3rd level web becomes a 7th level web). So you can imagine how effective a simple magic-missile, fireball or scorching ray spell becomes. :devsmoke:

Metamagic feats can alter anything from damage output to duration so a creative mix pretty much makes a large variety of spells even more powerful and varied (and ups the save to resist it). ;)

Dang you Chainz. You make the game sound very interesting. I really don't want to get into an MMO but you are making it very hard to resist. :( You are making DDO just as interesting as the goon thread for LotR:O on SA.

I play DDO, and it's pretty darn good. Especially since I was an MMO naysayer at one time :xp:

Of course, I was/am a big D&D nerd, so any option to play it on an electronic medium just sat well with me ;)

Word!

Warhammer Age of Reckoning looks cool but I don't think it will be all that to actually play... too much emphasis on PvP for me.

Lotro, Guild Wars, Vanguard, and EQ2.

Do not waste your money and time on Conan. Its not even worth it, unless you can get your hands on a friends copy... theres absolutely no content past level 20... so its 60 levels of grind-fest. Sieging is broken, crafting is wonky.

Vanguard: while it might have sucked at the beginning, I was playing it for that free month, and I really enjoyed it. They really fixed it up nicely since it launched. :)

Word!

Warhammer Age of Reckoning looks cool but I don't think it will be all that to actually play... too much emphasis on PvP for me.

I actually thought the same thing as you did. But Ive been playing in beta, and its actually alot of fun. I generally cannot stand pvp, but this being rvr (still basically pvp), it has a reason for being in there. Everytime Ive tried the rvr stuff in the game, I enjoyed. I still hate 1v1 pvp... but grouped up and doing it is more fun. You can play the entire game without touching the rvr, and vice-versa. :D

I actually thought the same thing as you did. But Ive been playing in beta, and its actually alot of fun. I generally cannot stand pvp, but this being rvr (still basically pvp), it has a reason for being in there. Everytime Ive tried the rvr stuff in the game, I enjoyed. I still hate 1v1 pvp... but grouped up and doing it is more fun. You can play the entire game without touching the rvr, and vice-versa. :D

Well... you see I'm an extreme case as I absolutely loathe any sort of player vs player content... the major selling point of DDO was that Pvp was non-existant. And it still is actually as you have to specifically go into areas to do so, and they don't have any sort of effects/penalties for me if I don't wish to participate. If I want to Pvp I get on a FPS where it is at least fair for all.

Best Overall Graphics, Sound, and Atmosphere: Lord of the Rings Online.

Best Character Customization Options: DDO has vastly more classes than any other MMO on the market that I can think of.

Best Story-Driven Quests and Quest Series: Guild Wars, probably.

Best Solo-ability Options: Guild Wars, again.

Best Roleplayability Factor: I would say LotRO. It's a very well established world with a decent community. During my time on there, I never ran into anything like Goldshire.

Most Players (if you know): I don't have hard numbers, but my gut tells me that it's LotRO.

A few notes. Guild Wars' server population is really irrelevant. Everything except towns are completely instanced.

Star Wars Galaxies is a dying game. What with the NGE and all the other crap they've done to it, it's dropped to a pathetically low server count and I don't see signs of improvement. In fact, I smell carrion when I sniff it. That, and Bioware on the horizon.

Age of Conan is fresh. That means it's buggy, unbalanced, and a host of other stuff. Wait a while before you consider that one.

Remember that most MMOs offer a 'Try before you buy', with a Free Trial.

With that said, I reccomend LotRO of the ones you've mentioned. It's a bit of a WoW Clone, but I enjoyed playing it. For an MMO. I'm really not much of an MMO man.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Now I wish I could actually roleplay with all of you guys!

If I had my dream RP scenario, this is how it would go:

I'm born a humble character, with no distinct lineage to speak of--no great-great-grandfathers who were kings, no ladies who were especially beautiful or fond of magic, no touch of dragon blood within my veins or other quasi-supernatural enhancements. I'm just an ordinary character, and I start to make my way in the world by "hitting stuff."

I start off on the right foot, but eventually fall in with the wrong crowd. My so-called "friends" convince me to betray everything I've known and join them in their sinister but ultimately stupid plan to gain power, glory, and other assorted riches. Since the plan fails, I'm sent into exile, where I make my way again, wanting to redeem myself but facing new temptations as a wanderer. The Dark Side always beckons--will I prevail?

Oh, yeah--I'm eventually redeemed one way or the other by humble work and L-U-V! :)

I wonder if anyone would like to play through this with me in a game, as I'm "The Exile!"

Maybe Pre-NGE. The fact remains that the MMO might have been good if they had stuck to their guns somewhere along the line. Instead, they keep changing crap around. Not to mention retarded ideas like Hologrinding.

And, for the record, I do kind of know what I'm talking about. I played SWG for a little while, and both of my brothers played it for years. Hell, my eldest brother ran a fairly major city on...dang. I think it was Tarquinas. You are not speaking to a neonate.

Archived