Home

KOTOR III's Combat System.

Revan 411

I would love to see a improved next gen KOTOR III, and part of that is the combat system.

Now, I like the combat in KOTOR I and KOTOR II, but it repeats it self over and over again, KOTOR II solves that problem by adding more combat animations.

So, the combat system could use a serious re haul, but keep the turn based system still in tact.

I like turn based, in KOTOR, its very hard to notice it, and most RPG's have some turn based combat to it, (Jade Empire, Never Winter Nights, PlaneScape Torment, Final Fantasy, etc)

So, I would love to see a different combat experience in KOTOR III, but still keep the turn based thing going.

Discuss.

Although d20 sucks very much in my opinion.

I agree with you. The D20 system is very, very, outdated, so if they can try to keep the Turn Based style and get rid of the D20 system, and replace it with something more better, then that would help out a lot.

I never really liked it that much, turn based was great, but D20?! No!

As far as systems go, I always thought that Star Wars would adapt well to to AEG's "Roll and Keep" system that they use in Legend of the Five Rings. The character progression isn't linear, there is more room for customization, and the combat is more lethal at all levels of play(where high level D20 feels like two kids in a schoolyard trading punches). It has a class system, but the classes only have a few levels and they teach you specific techniques(lightsaber forms, maybe?). The major variables(attack, defense, physical attributes, skills, etc) are all improved by the spending of character points, much like White Wolf's systems. It even has a trait, void, that could be easily adapted to the Force.

Since that will never happen in an official manner, I vote for the use of Star Wars Saga Edition. It's D20, but with a serious overhaul that improves the gameplay dramatically.

Since that will never happen in an official manner, I vote for the use of Star Wars Saga Edition. It's D20, but with a serious overhaul that improves the gameplay dramatically.

With making the game an entirely new series, the Star Wars Saga Edition would be the change I would want to see.

If they were to do a different Star Wars RPG. I'd love to see them use G.U.R.P.S..

I would love to see a improved next gen KOTOR III, and part of that is the combat system.

Now, I like the combat in KOTOR I and KOTOR II, but it repeats it self over and over again, KOTOR II solves that problem by adding more combat animations.

So, the combat system could use a serious re haul, but keep the turn based system still in tact.

I like turn based, in KOTOR, its very hard to notice it, and most RPG's have some turn based combat to it, (Jade Empire, Never Winter Nights, PlaneScape Torment, Final Fantasy, etc)

So, I would love to see a different combat experience in KOTOR III, but still keep the turn based thing going.

Discuss.

Well, I'd agree on the overhaul. In fact, I would say--though a tad specific for most people, I would like there to be options for left handedness, and ambidextrious primary hand.

Honestly, about the engine, I'm more an action buff myself, so I'm not so sure about it all with turn based. I kinda only came 'cuz it's SW. Tho, mass efect wasn't too bad.

As far as combat:

LIGHTSABER FORMS, now obviously it's going to depend greatly on the time period. I know, I know...form V Djem-So is developed between K2 and 3,000 years later when Darth Bane takes over the sith and decrees the "rule of two". But, c'mon, other forms don't need to suck SOO badly in one area and only be mediocre in another...or great in another...Anyone on the up and up in wookieepedia sort of already knows what I'm talking about. Ataru can't effectively block blaster bolts? WTF? Then what was episode 1? Cheese?

BTW--wouldn't hurt if the EU was a little more in keeping with Nick Gillard's descriptions--every form is a mix of various sword forms!!!

People try to make this dumbed-down distiction that form II Makashi is only fencing and Form V Djem-So is only kendo? Personal experience, I done both. Fencer usually runs kendoist through first and kendoist's reflex down comes the shinai to whack the fencer in the head. Double kill. Not gonna argue which one's "better" because "if something is better than something, then anything is anything"(Miyamoto Musashi) ---so what? A martial art is good judged on how effective it is for its intended use, and life throws some strange ones. You might think one is necessarily better, but it depends on the situation, which back to my point is what I DID like about the lightsaber combat system.

Hm, well, Dooku uses 2 hands fairly often--not very fencing-like though there are many moves from it. Also, Makashi sounds awfully similar to Musashi--Japan's greatest sword duelist. I think form 2 has some japanese to it as well Like saber-challenge, or blade leveraging...mostly katana blade refinement that I'm aware of--though I'd love to see any euroblade info on it. .......poor obi-wan could've lost an arm. Point being both are duelist forms, not necessarily counter to one another.

Anakin/Vader: ditto, I'd say some rapier & sabre, mostly a sort of bastard sword kendo-ish viking broadsword form.

There ought to be a levelling up or mastery system, too. Thisone I'll leave to the imagination.

MORE FORMS: I'd like to see some of the other forms.

Form zero...WAS this invented by yoda or had it already been around? (info here would be nice)--anyway, it's basically Iaido for lightsabers. Hold until the absolute last moment--strike...and you leave behind headless corpses. Re-sheath. --much cooler how Yodie boy does it often with the force.

Form X Jar-Kai: the two lightsaber form. Yes I realize that it can be done as is-duh. I'm talking an added bonus. Like one form on the side your character learns initially. As character progresses, form gets better and stats change.

Or, if one reaches, say, roughly 75% of total level up and has also learned form VI niman, MASTER jar-kai, complete, lethal, and utter effectiveness with the 2 blade form.

I'm not sure to what extent it is so for other forms.

Remainders:

double-bladed (should just be available initially and improves as you use it and level up)

Shien form IX: this is the inverted version of form V shien. Could it have been invented before Djem-So became Shien (V)'s co-form?

Form VIII Sokan: an acrobatic form...to the best I can tell this used to be around before form IV Ataru. Perhaps its basis. Form IV is basically as either force enhanced movements AND/OR acrobatic. Maybe a little study into chinese bladework and fillipino stick fighting?

Why not a sort of Jeet-kune-doe method of take what works and ditch what doesn't to make up an individual form? --don't tell me, let me guess, that's SUPPOSED to be implied throughout training but to give such credibility to the individual is vanity and unbecoming a jedi? Unneccessarily focuses on trifles for sith? BS! Try telling Drallig, Windu, or their apprentices that drek...

FFXII system would fit perfectly on a new Kotor game.

It would, but that system is messed up.

Seriously, the number 1 complaint I had with FF12 was the combat. It was so messed up, I mean It was extremely annoying, I hated that system.

Plus, KOTOR III just needs to be mixed with some real time and turn based combat.

Or... I'm not really sure...

Don't change the Combat System greatly. Improve it, yes. Change it to something entirely different, no. We had the same system in K1 and K2, changing it for K3 is a bad idea.
Exactly. There's no question that the system could use some improvements, but completely changing it, changing the gameplay so significantly, isn't really a good idea.

I say keep the underlying premise of the system, but remove the turn-based aspect and the need to pause during combat. That would mean overhauling the game's AI (which is rubbish, so that's a given) and adding new combat styles (for instance, whether to use flurry or critical strike, offensive or defensive Force powers, etc) so combat doesn't become a repetitive pause-->issue commands to each party member-->pause-->issue more commands.

Which is why I do not heckle your AI upgrade proposal. But really, there isn't much of a reason I can think of to not have the ability to pause in a RPG. Well unless the acronym is preceded by the letters "MMO." If it's an action/adventure game you want, then there is always The Force Unleashed. I'd call that game over the top, but then I remember that

Nihilus kills planets.

PS Why does Nihilus trip the spell check on a KOTOR board anyway?

PPS Or KOTOR for that matter?

PPPS Jedi. Nope. Just checking. :xp:

Which is why I do not heckle your AI upgrade proposal. But really, there isn't much of a reason I can think of to not have the ability to pause in a RPG.

I didn't say the ability shouldn't be there; rather, the need.

As for Nihilus, his greatest strength becomes his greatest weakness. :p

It would, but that system is messed up.

Seriously, the number 1 complaint I had with FF12 was the combat. It was so messed up, I mean It was extremely annoying, I hated that system.

To each his opinion, I guess. But instead of saying that you hated it time and time again you could care to give a reason as to why you didn't liked it.

Methinks the system can be both fast-paced or slower, it really can fit a vast array of players.

• 2 months later...

I mentioned that K3 should take some ideas from Mass Effect in a topic recently, but the combat isn't totally appropriate. It's action based, you actually control your attacks, and can do things that wouldn't make sense in a KOTOR game.

Still, BioWare made some big strides in the RPG genre with Mass Effect I think. I wish they would make KOTOR III and take some ideas from ME...it could be amazing...

Archived