Home

What was the (adventure) game you played last?

Sven_Q45

Dito GF.

@purple tentacle

Now how was Full Throttle?

Full Throttle was very good. I loved it. Very challenging and a deep story line. Its hard to find though. I got mine on Ebay for around 10 to 15 dollars. Curse of monkey island is the same controls its good too. Both are Scumm not DOS so that makes it nice and it has good sound effects and fairly good graphics. Not alot of comedy. I got so into it I spent a whole weekend playing it. :thmbup1:

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished Machinarium. Game of the Year hands down. With a little streamlining, Amanita's model could be a winner. I loved that the soundtrack was included with the purchase, because Floex's work never dissapoints.

Also planning on playing through either Monkey 2 or Grim for Halloween, as I do every year. I may even do both! Possibly...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally got a computer again that can play the newer games, so I'm catching up with the Telltale Games I haven't yet played.

I just finished Launch of the Screaming Narwhal. I loved the storyline and the humor. I enjoyed Van Winslow, the Marquis de Singe, and the Voodoo Lady was entertaining as always. :D

I didn't enjoy the forest mazes. The weather vane puzzle reminded me of the sign puzzle in Grim Fandango, and I disliked both a lot.

But, the music was great. I'm so glad they have Michael Land composing for this chapter too. It's great to hear Dominic Armato as Guybrush as always, and although I prefer Monkey Island 4's Elaine, Alexandra Boyd is still excellent. :)

Zombie LeChuck's voice is a little rough, but since I know that Earl Boen comes back later on in the series, it's tolerable since his part was so small. The voice for the de-poxed LeChuck is excellent judging from the small line he had in the game. ;)

My experience is a bit spoiled since I know who the "threatening voice" (loved that credit by the way) at the end of the game is, but the to be continued break at the end makes me really want to play chapter two soon, so Telltale did their job well for this game. :)

Oh, and I love the seagulls. They had me chuckling, especially in the machine scene.

I'm playing chapter two next, so I'll post my impressions when I'm done. :D

OK, I completed chapter two of Tales of Monkey Island, The Siege of Spinner Cay. First off, I have to mention the pirate hunter Morgan LeFlay. I haven't liked a new character this much ever. Murray was fun, but Morgan is awesome. She is a huge fan of Guybrush and studied all his moves, so she is an even match for our hero. Even more than that, she's skilled at pirating rather than inept, although she doesn't know that of course, so she's too much for our hero to handle without resorting to inventory tricks. Which is how Guybrush gets through every situation of course, which was fun to see. But, wow, Morgan is ruthless. She took his hand and took off. There's been jokes about Guybrush not looking like a pirate since he still has all his appendages and his eyes are still in his sockets. Well, he's more of a pirate now it would seem since he now has a hook for a hand!

As for the other new characters, I liked the ambiguous merpeople. Anenome was my favorite, but I also liked Tetra a lot. I felt genuinely bad when Guybrush made the fish joke and Tetra swam away. I expected that I'd come back up and Tetra would be up there again, but sadly I guess the "I hate you now" remark was true. :(

I also liked the how the merleader's dignified demeanor would be completely shattered when you offered the bait as a snack. There's nothing dignified about slurping down food. :)

Elaine is back to her usual strong self, which I'm really glad to see. Ron Gilbert offered up some advice on characters, situations, and locations during the brainstorming sessions of Tales, and it shows. Elaine's ship sank in the first chapter, but she appears in the second unharmed. She can clearly take care of herself. Not only that, but when Guybrush finds her, she's attempting to diffuse a heated argument brought on by the pox of LeChuck. It's nice to see her use her diplomacy skills again. I actually enjoyed that part of Escape, when she went door to door trying to get support back for her place as Melee Island governor over Charles L Charles.

She did need rescuing later in the episode, but it was something that could have happened to anyone, and she was right on her feet and running away as soon as Guybrush lifted the obstacle off her. She may be a pirate princess as described by Charles in Escape, but she's definitely one of the few princesses in video games who don't fit the damsel in distress mold, and I'm glad to see her here as tough as ever.

The forest scenes were definitely a red herring. The weather vane on the Screaming Narwhal made me think, "oh no not again", but thankfully there were no more tedious maze puzzles.

The scenes with the pyrite parrot were fun, and I enjoyed the pirates on the large island of Spinner Cay. Pirates that are even more inept than Guybrush are always fun. :)

LeChuck was probably the most fun part of this episode. I like his human form. It's fun to see him trying to help rather than trying to kill. It's a refreshing change. The scenes where Guybrush tries to tell him how to use inventory are hilarious! I want to play the game through again to try all inventory combinations to see LeChuck's reactions. :)

This one had an even bigger cliffhanger than the last. I can't wait to play part three. :D

Whoa that's weird someone has deleted Jenni's forum account :(

Ha! this joke went right over my head until now. :eek:

The old Sierra games are fun in their own way. They aren't completable without a walkthrough, but the characters have their own unique charm so it's worth the extra hassle. To me anyway. :)

I still have to play through King's Quest IV. I do want to see how the Graham clan makes out. :D

I finished Lair of the Leviathan. I really liked this one. It was interesting to see Morgan's reactions to how Guybrush gets through situations. The new characters were fun. I enjoyed De Cava's paranoia, the upbeat song the bongo player would play if you'd ask him, and it was great to hear the voice of Phoney Bone again. Most of all I enjoyed seeing Theodore Dudebrough from Telltale Texas Hold'Em again. They said he'd disappeared after his poker tournament. I guess we know where he disappeared to. :D

Most of all, in this episode, I enjoyed Murray! This is my favorite appearance of Murray ever. I enjoyed him in Curse, but other than the scene where he fell in the crypt, I didn't find him that funny. In this game, I got quite a few laughs out of him. He seems a lot like Bender from Futurama here, which is a great thing, since he's always had that evil but not so evil vibe about him. :)

I also enjoyed the manatees a lot. Oh, and I loved the locket puzzle. The Voodoo Lady's animations made me laugh out loud. :D

And, another great cliffhanger ending. Episode four should be a lot of fun!

I finished The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood. It started out slow, but it picked up towards the middle. I liked the use of Stan, in both of his business ventures. It was great to be able to go inside Club 41. I enjoyed the judge character a lot. :)

I thought Morgan was handled well in her guilt, and the poxed Elaine was fun to watch. :D

The revelations in this episode were what made me enjoy it so much! I really liked the Voodoo Lady's revelations. This is what I meant in my Escape from Monkey Island reader review when I said that the Monkey Island 4 plot inconsistencies could be explained by voodoo. They haven't been explained yet, but after this revelation, they certainly can be easily explained in future games.

LeChuck's actions didn't surprise me, but the quickness of his actions did! They handled the emotional moments really well. The game actually brought me to tears. I know Telltale is thinking about doing dramatic games. If this is any indication of their ability in scripting dramatic scenes, then they are definitely very capable of drama.

The final chapter should be a doozy, but after this chapter they've got me wanting more seasons rather than more chapters. :eek: I really didn't expect I'd want more Monkey Island games so badly. Way to go Telltale!

I finished the last episode of Tales of Monkey Island, Rise of the Pirate God. I enjoyed the exploration of death in here, just like I did in Sam & Max Season Two's What's New, Beezlebub? and earlier with Grim Fandango. Out of all three though, the Pirate afterlife is surprisingly the most boring. With such areas as treasure hunting, swordplay, and thievery as places for the pirate dead to explore, you would think it would be a lot more lively. It all seems pretty sparse, and very lacking in pirates. Especially since LeChuck's rampage brought many deaths for many pirates.

I did enjoy the rest of the game though. It was fun exploring LeChuck's states of undead as Guybrush, although a Demon pirate Guybrush would have been fun. :) The new states of LeChuck and Elaine were great though. LeChuck was really a lot more brutal than he's ever been before, and Elaine's new form makes her poxed form look tame.

None of the new characters were standouts for me, although I did enjoy them. I enjoyed what became of pyrite parrot, and it was great to see Anemone back! She's my favorite new character introduced in episode two. Winslow was used here very well. At first I thought his appearance might be wasted, but I'm glad to see I was wrong. Winslow finally got his chance to shine here!

Elaine and Guybrush's reunion was great, and Elaine's revelation to Guybrush reminded me a lot of her know-how in the very first Monkey Island, so it was great to see that. The final revelation was very exciting. I can't wait for more Tales from Telltale! :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Telltale Games catch up continues! :)

I finished Wallace & Gromit episode 3: Muzzled. I enjoyed this episode a lot, particularly because you played Gromit the most. Even though Gromit can't talk and gets his item observation comments from nearby human characters, I still enjoy playing as him more than I do as Wallace. I enjoy Wallace of course, but I suppose I'm a bit biased since I always enjoyed Gromit more in the shorts, and I enjoy Telltale's Gromit walking animation. :lol:

Each episode had a villain of sorts (the jail is always fun to visit to see the villain from the previous episode), but this one is the first that really felt like a real film villain. He's not quite up to the level of Feathers McGraw, but he's an enjoyable sneak nonetheless.

The final puzzle in The Last Resort was a whole lot of fun, but this one tops it in every way imaginable. It's so grand in scale, so true to the Wallace & Gromit characters, and so much fun.

The ending is also the first (not only in the games, but in the shorts as well) Wallace & Gromit story to have a cliff hanger ending. I can't wait to see how it's resolved in the final episode. :D

The last episode of Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures has finally been completed by me! :)

This one wasn't as memorable as the last, but it's got a lot of the last episode's good points. First, there's a new location - the Prickly Thicket country club, which is always a welcome addition to an episodic game series, especially one where the bulk of the season takes place in the same two locations (West Wallaby Street and the Town Square).

The only new character in this episode was pretty unlikable. She was supposed to be that way because of the story, but it's a shame another character wasn't added into the mix.

The jail was a lot more fun to visit this time, since for the first time there was someone in the cell who could talk. It was fun to hear his responses to Gromit, and then hear different responses when Wallace visited.

The solution to the last episodes cliffhanger was a little off-putting at first, since it seemed like they just through in a convenient way to solve the problem, but the resolution at the end of the game made the whole plot a lot more palatable.

I liked the slide-puzzle puzzle a lot. :) It was a really clever way to add in a classic game as a mini-game, and reminded me (in concept, not in execution) of the very enjoyable Asteroids arcade mini-game in Wallace & Gromit in Project Zoo. :D

All in all, the season was tied together very well, and stayed very true to the characters (which is something Telltale has proven themselves to be capable of doing, maybe moreso than any other developer). I'd love to see another season! :D

I finished The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition. Wow. There's some negative things in this update, but it's mostly really really good!

The first negative thing I noticed was the reworked interface. It's not fun having to click through verb icons and then again through inventory icons, especially when you have to combine two items in the inventory together and have to reopen the inventory again to do it. This is simplified by memorizing the keyboard shortcuts for the verbs, which made it a whole lot less frustrating for me, but I would have preferred complete point-and-click. Our setup requires you to have the keyboard on your lap, so I usually put the keyboard up on the computer and just use the mouse or joystick in games.

The most frustrating bit was that the clickable areas usually didn't match up with the arrow, especially in the word selections in menus and in dialog trees. Again, the frustration was lessened by the ability to use the keyboard to choose the options (like using the d-pad on the SegaCD version). I'm glad they included alternative solutions that made the shortcomings more bearable, but hopefully the next Special Edition will have these shortcomings fixed so the band-aid solutions won't be needed.

These two short comings are way outweighed in my opinion by the art! I was looking at The Secret of Monkey Island with the rose colored glasses of nostalgia all these years. I used to think that the art hadn't aged to the point of being unbearable by new gamers, but after seeing the new art...

It looks so nice! They really did a great job of making the new high definition art keep the spirit of the old art. The cartoon characters are great, and with the exception of Guybrush's hair (I knew I wouldn't like it, but I hoped I'd get used to it. I still didn't after the game was over. The closeups were particularly bad) all of the characters are on-spot with their original counterparts.

I really liked the voice acting. It's great hearing Dominic Armato say the words I've read so many times over the years. He did a really great job. His delivery is great. I especially liked how the wrong answers in insult sword fighting had different voice acting than the right answers, making Guybrush sound unsure when he said them. That added a whole new dimension to insult sword fighting, and wasn't something I expected with the Special Edition.

The live instruments sound great. I really prefer this version of the songs, and I really liked the PC CD version songs a lot already. The background sounds in the Scumm Bar, on the ghost ship, and when there is no music was a nice touch.

I have to say that even with the control issues, I won't go back to the old Monkey Island except when I get an Xbox 360 again and play the achievement that requires you to play the classic version. ;) I can't wait for more special editions from LucasArts! :D

• 3 months later...

I just finished the first episode of the new season of Sam & Max: The Penal Zone. I love the new textures. Max is so much more expressive now and they dirtied up the city just right. I love how they redid their street again this season believably like they did last season. I miss Bosco's, but Mama Bosco's shop makes up for it. I hope we get to see her son later on in the season though, since he's one of my favorite characters. I love the new function of the COPS this season, and the new member reminds me of a simplified version of a evidence station from the CSI games, which I enjoyed a lot.

I was glad to see the song from the Barrelhaven from The Great Cow Race in Stinky's jukebox. It really fit the atmosphere of the diner's remodel. Oh, and I was really excited to see the Hit the Road icons come back! :)

I wasn't sure how I would react to Max's psychic powers when I first read about them, but now that I played them I enjoy them a lot. The way they are selected reminds me a lot of Psychonauts. A lot of the game did actually - the whole time I was playing it I was thinking "So, this is what Psychonauts would have played like if it were an adventure game", which is probably as big of a complement as I could give since Psychonauts is one of my favorite games of all time. :D

I can't wait to play the rest of the season, and to fill up the slots with more psychic powers for Max! This is the most exciting first episode out of all of the Sam & Max seasons, so I'm really waiting in anticipation for the next episode. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I just played the new Special Edition of Frasse and the Peas of Kejick. I'm making an adventure game in Sludge, so I decided to try out the game of the person who is working on the freeware open source version of the engine. :) The special edition of Frasse and the Peas of Kejick comes with new graphics, music, and voices. The voices are quite good for a freeware game, and are mostly clear and easy to understand, which is something that doesn't happen often in dialog by non-native English speakers. The LucasArts references were fun, as were the references to even older adventure games such as Zork! :D I loved the dynamic of the two playable characters. Frasse can pick up stuff, but he's not a good talker. Gurra has no arms, but he's a great talker, and he enjoys eating. This makes for some really interesting puzzles because you have to use both of their abilities. The puzzles do aim a bit towards classic adventure difficulty and puzzle styles. There are math-related logic puzzles and there are mazes (although the mazes aren't random and they are tied to logic). The game is short, but it's challenging, it has an interesting story, and engaging characters. I'm glad I played it! :D

I just finished King's Quest IV. I liked the storyline. :) I enjoyed Rosella as a character, and didn't find her to be as undefined as people often say she was. She's portrayed as being musically gifted, strong-willed, loving, and a bit of a free spirit (which was strongly hinted in her dialog at the end). I enjoyed the day and night aspect of the game. The same scenes were so creepy repainted darker at night, especially when they were populated with zombies and trees with frightening faces. The thing I didn't like about this game was the thing I always have trouble with in Sierra's early games, especially those darn stairs. The stairs that just go left and right now thankfully just let you walk up them with just the right arrow key, but the twisting stairwells are still so very annoying. It's even more annoying when only some parts of the stairwells have railings! The artwork of the twisting stairwells looks nice, and I know that's the reason Sierra always put them in their early games, but they're just frustrating when you have to change your arrow movement based on perspective. It's annoying to have to save with every step you make just because you're battling the interface. But, this was part of the Sierra game design philosophy back then, and one of the main reasons LucasArts decided to make theirs vastly different. If you can tolerate the old Sierra interface, the game is worth playing.

Alter Ego and at last:

Sam and Max Season 2.

Ver, very great!! And Episode 3 in Stuttgart is really cool. I Live near there. 8)

The sence of humor is better and more darker. I like it!

It´s better than TOMI and the best from TTG. Sam and Max. Maybe a good thing LA cancelled their version!!

Archived