Home

What was the (adventure) game you played last?

Sven_Q45

I just finished Broken Sword 2.5. I'm very impressed. The new artwork fits in perfectly in the Broken Sword world, and the new characters do too. Though the tramp in the alley is very gross. And his animation was really creepy. :eyeraise:

The 3D cutscenes were good, except the ones with the characters. It's not that they were bad, it's just that it contrasted with the 2D look the game had. The story was quite good, but the explanation of the use of the artifact George and Nico were hunting for was a little strange.

This is a game that I would have enjoyed if I had to pay for it. The fact that it was a free fan game is amazing! I haven't played Broken Sword 3 yet, but now I really have to do it. It will be fun to see how well this really does bridge the games together. :)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am playing Curse of Monkey Island's thro Scumm.

I played MI1/2 back in 1990/1994, got stuck on the Jungle on MI2 But now i have the full solution, thanks to WOMI.

2008 was the first time in 14 year's that i have ever played a MI game, and the one i played first before i bourt CMI, was EMI, i got on to part 2 and then i got CMI so i started playing that one untill the game started crashing like mad, now it works perfect on Scumm.

I will play the first 2 again when i set up the floppy drive to use the floppy discs.:)

I just finished Mr. Smoozles Goes Nutso. It was the most fun I've ever had with an adventure game that wasn't a point and clicker. The music was great, and I loved the comic strip intro and ending. It's all based on a webcomic, so it was nice to see that touch. The artwork was also great, since the world really looked like it was the webcomic come to life. I also loved the subtle touches in the animation, like how Ed's walking sprite changes to a feared expression with his arms extended when he is running from Mr. Smoozles. :)

There's also a lot of references to Steve Ince's other games like Beneath a Steel Sky and the Broken Sword series. And references to other games as well, including a very funny joke regarding curious naming in Square's RPGs. :p

• 2 weeks later...

Now that ScummVM supports Sierra's SCI games, I finished Space Quest III. I love that the designers put themselves into the plot of the game. I haven't played many Sierra games, but that is one thing I really loved about them. I love how Ken Williams showed up in so many of their adventure games. :)

The ending of Space Quest III was great. At first I thought I had done something wrong, and I thought I was going to get the dreaded Sierra death screen again. Then I laughed once I saw where Roger was headed. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I finished two adventure games recently: King's Quest I and the Wallace & Gromit Grand Adventures demo.

First, King's Quest: I liked it, but even for a Sierra game the logic for the puzzles were weird. :rolleye1: But, it was one of their first adventure games, so it's understandable. :) The storyline was very simple, but nice. But the ending was a little sad. I felt great that Sir Graham got his reward, but the last animation was disturbing, and made the ending really feel semi-sweet and borderline depressing to me.

As for Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures, I really enjoyed it a lot. What was there captured the look and feel of the movies, and the references to their previous adventures were fun. :) The control worked a lot better than I thought it would. It's miles better than the direct control in Grim Fandango and Escape From Monkey Island. I can't wait for the full game. :D

Really? It seemed exactly the same to me.

The mouse control for selecting objects helped a lot. You didn't have to walk right up to the object to see if the character would turn his head so you can pick it up. That's one of the main gripes I had with LucasArts' 3D adventures.

That, and Wallace seemed to face the same way he did before when the scene changes in the demo. Manny seemed to be facing the wrong way in a new scene a lot in Grim Fandango. I would exit the door, and then I would enter the same door again when the scene changed because Manny was facing towards the door in the direction I was pressing the arrow keys in the last scene. :mad:

I'm not against direct control in adventure games as long as it's not frustrating, and from what I've played of the game from the demo, the control doesn't seem frustrating to me at all. :) Telltale seemed to address my two major concerns of the direct control in LucasArts' last two games, and just as long as the full game keeps that up, that makes me happy.:D

The mouse control for selecting objects helped a lot. You didn't have to walk right up to the object to see if the character would turn his head so you can pick it up. That's one of the main gripes I had with LucasArts' 3D adventures.

That, and Wallace seemed to face the same way he did before when the scene changes in the demo. Manny seemed to be facing the wrong way in a new scene a lot in Grim Fandango. I would exit the door, and then I would enter the same door again when the scene changed because Manny was facing towards the door in the direction I was pressing the arrow keys in the last scene. :mad:

I'm not against direct control in adventure games as long as it's not frustrating, and from what I've played of the game from the demo, the control doesn't seem frustrating to me at all. :) Telltale seemed to address my two major concerns of the direct control in LucasArts' last two games, and just as long as the full game keeps that up, that makes me happy.:D

Ah, ok. I understand now. Though I never had any problems like that while playing LucasArts' last two games myself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wasn't planning on playing Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures right away, but I won the season in a contest! :)

So, I got the chance to play the whole game of Fright of the Bumblebees. And I loved it!

It felt so much like I was playing a cartoon, more so than any video game in any genre I have ever played before.

I bought Wallace & Gromit in Project Zoo so that I could experience all of the Wallace & Gromit stories, and it's night and day (and not just because the games are different genres). In Project Zoo, Wallace & Gromit are doing things that you wouldn't see in the short cartoons (especially the lava level, which is more than a little jarring). But in Fright of the Bumblebees, even the action sequences are set up like those that you'd see in one of the shorts.

I only wish that The Last Resort would come out sooner. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well I meant to post this a while ago but never got around to it. A couple weeks ago now I beat Hotel Dusk: Room 215 for DS and it is amazing. I may have mentioned it earlier in this thread I can't remember, but it's a must play for adventure game fans (all of you) if you have a DS.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I got it with a copy of PC Games magazine, which I ordered because of the Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island article in it. Of course, it only came with the German version, but that's okay. I played two adventures in German before (also because they came with German magazines): SMI and Black Mirror. The quality of voice acting seems to be pretty good in German-language versions actually, especially considering that people have complained about the English voices in BM and SL.

@Haggis

Yeah German voice acting is very good. But I think the English versions of Dott, Sam and Max and so one are good too. The voice acting in Dott in the English version is great!!

Well you´re from the netherlands. I think German is not so difficult for you?

Uhm what´s SMI again?

Well you´re from the netherlands. I think German is not so difficult for you?

Yeah, it's not that hard for me to follow... speaking and writing German is a bit tougher though.

Uhm what´s SMI again?

The Secret of Monkey Island :)

Archived