Home

Things You'd Like to See in KotOR III.

Revan_Pwn_Malak

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ Topic of MMO: Peeps can bitch all they want but it isn't going to change anything. Yea I don't like the idea of a subscription fee every month either but considering I pay bills every month (we ALL do), it wouldn't bother me to pay a fee for a time to enjoy a little something for awhile. Enjoyment and fandom should be the sole reasons though.

He was just pointing out the possibility that you may think it is stupid, that doesn't sound like much of an assumption to me.

Well if it's ambiguity y'all are on about, no I don't think it's stupid. Hell, I know tons of people who wished for K3, but since they know it won't be happening, they loathe that TOR won't also be for console systems as well.

I love how i havn't written or checked this thread in a while and a little conversation has come about. NO it wasn't an assumption. Although itd be cool to use the stulus for attacks. YES 3ds has sweet graphics compared to the older models that have horrible graphics. And, were lucky we have a modding community that can attempt to created "a third game" and im gonna keep playing TJM 1.0 for now. And yes, kotor for consoles sounds pretty good. Although id still play it on pc. And finally having a custimisable ship and a bank of corusant. :):):)

• 3 weeks later...

Are people at LA just completely unaware that we all would have preferred a KOTOR III? It's been proven they started on the game and had a lot done and dropped it because of financial difficulty, but why didn't they just put it on the backburner and do it later, like as in now? TOR may get a large fanbase, but it's not a great continuation of the series.

No they're aware, just probably do not think the cost:benefit ratio is worth it. Especially after SW: The Force Unleashed games and now ToR, they would not want to saturate the market with SW titles, the popularity, at least in my opinion, is not enough to support so many titles back to back especially being on the same platform and so similar in game play.

Plus, KOTOR's engine and system are dated. I'm not a game developer and I have no experience in programming but I do not think that there is a game engine today that would fit KOTOR (at least, the style that we know and love) without major revamp or just a whole new engine from scratch. BioWare for instance, besides ToR has been mainly working on Mass Effect and its sequels. I love those games, but the combat would not fit KOTOR. Or at least, I doubt so.

But, even with all those considerations (plus many others that have been discussed here and elsewhere) I think you answered your own question. If TOR gets a large fanbase, which it does seem to have, why bother with anything else but expansions and DLC for TOR? That is where they can make money, and at the end of the day that is why games are produced and developed. Even if one wanted to argue for the sake of story continuity, for all intents and purposes they already did that by including mentioning both Revan and the Exile in TOR.

That is very true. I mean, why would a company like LA just go for the fans wishes. No, mney is everything. I understand, just dislike it. Mods are the best we can do for now, but fans will eventually get bored of no new features. They could alsway make an expansion pack for kotor, adding new features to the engine...

TOR may get a large fanbase, but it's not a great continuation of the series.
Says someone that has not tried it. :rolleyes:

Many of the references in TOR to TSL or KotOR have left me wanting, but overall I believe TOR is very much in line with the KotOR experience. Plays an awful lot like a RPG (too much for some MMO players). Only speaking from the Smugglers story line, but the story is very entertaining and unique. Game play is fun, but by no means easy (at least for a old fart like me). So far the KotOR/TSL fanboy in me is very happy calling TOR a sequel to the franchise. A few little things I would like to change, but as a person that once stated as a fact I would never play a MMO that charged monthly, I am very happy someone talked me into this game.

So things I would like to see in KotOR III? I am already playing KotOR III and loving it. :)

In my opinion, The Old Republic is not really a sequel to the KotOR franchise. Apart from the references to KotOR that are there for the fanboys and plot points that tie up the loose ends about Revan, the Exile and other characters from the games, it shares not much with the KotOR franchise, I think. The music, while always nice to hear, doesn't fit the setting, which is enforced when I hear Manaan's Theme on Alderaan or Tatooine's Theme on the ravaged Taris world. (okay, that led me to a nostalgia trip through KotOR music on Youtube, dammit!)

To me, these little things don't do much to hide the fact that this game is not a KotOR game, but stands completely on its own, with its own themes, stories and artistic designs. Which is fine by me, of course. I just wish they hadn't advertised this as KotORs 4 to 10-11-12 or whatever it was.

I'm still wondering if it hadn't made more sense to make a singleplayer KotOR sequel than TOR, profit-wise: a game like KotOR III would almost have the allure of Skyrim or Mass Effect 3, perhaps even more. It would certainly have yielded a nice profit, while we're not exactly sure when TOR is going to make a profit, if at all, especially with all the money thrown into its development. It still makes me kinda sad thinking about KotOR III.

Anyway, I can't disagree with the fact TOR is fun to play, though. Bounty Hunters are boss. :carms:

ToR and the Revan Novel have basically dropped a steamy crap all over any none mmo continuation of KotOR, so unless we could have alternate/Parallel time-lines it would suck.

(Just my Opinion, as you can probably tell, tOR was not the game I was looking for :( )

ToR and the Revan Novel have basically dropped a steamy crap all over any none mmo continuation of KotOR, so unless we could have alternate/Parallel time-lines it would suck.
I guess I will have to wait to play another class to see this or it is on the last planet, because the smuggler quests and the Revan storyline up until 99% of the next to last planet being done only involves superficial references to Revan. Barely even remember the TSL even being referenced at all. Maybe more of a Jedi/Sith class quests thing.

Kunists and some other stuff like that. And the KOTOR comics have made a rather disconnected and irrelevant bunch of stories. It sort of needs references and a tying up.

I agree the novel has killed any real K3 ever happening. I'm avoiding posting about the novel. I suppose it's my way of keeping it alive for myself and delaying the inevitable. My review won't be negative, just realistic and fair. Afterall I liked Drew Karpyshyn's work on the Darth Bane series and think that is his best novel work. From what little interaction I've had with him online, I'm left with the impression he is fairly likeable in person. Just hope he understands I won't be speaking from a position of anger nor an overly idealistic stance.

• 10 months later...

I am not sure of the etiquette in this forum (i.e. should I post here or start a new topic), but I thought best to keep one topic rather than many versions.

Anyway, a rough idea as to how I would have liked to have seen Kotor 3 (unfortunately, it seems this will just be an intellectual exercise, as it seems unlikely it will be made). Not a polished outline, just some plot points. It ignores SW:TOR and the novel Revan (for the most part at least). The Exile could also be included, but I have not mentioned that here.

I would like as little canon is used as possible. I refer to Revan as "he" for simplicity, but "she" is just as valid. Any romance is flagged, and plays a part in the story.

- Revan is getting accustomed to to life again, and slowly begins to recover some memories.

- He recalls the existence of the emperor, realises he needs to be stopped.

- He is tormented by visions of a potential future, showing him imprisoned by the emperor (i.e. the future outlined in SW:TOR/Revan). This point marks the break with the current story, but still references it and uses it as a plot device.

- Due to his glimpse of the dark potential future, he realises that travelling alone will end in tragedy. Needs to gather allies.

- Travels to recruit old comrades, and powerful people in the galaxy who may be sympathetic.

- Travels to the Jedi Council to ask for their aid. This causes major problems.

(1) Some have not forgiven him for starting the war.

(2) If he romanced Bastila, more are angry at the loss of one of the most promising Jedis.

(3) More importantly, Revan before the council, asking for aid in a non-sanctioned endeavour is a horrible reminder of how the Jedi Civil War started.

Possibly an option here to take some supportive Jedi, but at the cost of infuriating the council, and being disowned by them.

- Once recruitment is completed to the player's satisfaction, the party travels to the outer rim.

- Memories continue to return, shown in flashbacks when revisiting a place where Darth Revan had previously been.

- Battles with the true Sith.

- Eventually makes it to the emperor's base. Good chance to lose party members, depending on choices made here and previously. Can defeat emperor, at least temporarily. Possible option to side with (replace?) the emperor.

- Returns from the outer rim to republic space. Possibly as a pariah - no one realises what he has done except the Jedi, and the Jedi potentially have disowned him even if it was a LS path.

[some scenes (e.g. Jedi council) would have to be altered/replaced for a DS Revan, but that would not create insurmountable difficulties].

• 2 weeks later...

I would like as little canon is used as possible. I refer to Revan as "he" for simplicity, but "she" is just as valid. Any romance is flagged, and plays a part in the story.

- Revan is getting accustomed to to life again, and slowly begins to recover some memories.

- He recalls the existence of the emperor, realises he needs to be stopped.

- He is tormented by visions of a potential future, showing him imprisoned by the emperor (i.e. the future outlined in SW:TOR/Revan). This point marks the break with the current story, but still references it and uses it as a plot device.

- Due to his glimpse of the dark potential future, he realises that travelling alone will end in tragedy. Needs to gather allies.

- Travels to recruit old comrades, and powerful people in the galaxy who may be sympathetic.

- Travels to the Jedi Council to ask for their aid. This causes major problems.

(1) Some have not forgiven him for starting the war.

(2) If he romanced Bastila, more are angry at the loss of one of the most promising Jedis.

(3) More importantly, Revan before the council, asking for aid in a non-sanctioned endeavour is a horrible reminder of how the Jedi Civil War started.

Possibly an option here to take some supportive Jedi, but at the cost of infuriating the council, and being disowned by them.

- Once recruitment is completed to the player's satisfaction, the party travels to the outer rim.

- Memories continue to return, shown in flashbacks when revisiting a place where Darth Revan had previously been.

- Battles with the true Sith.

- Eventually makes it to the emperor's base. Good chance to lose party members, depending on choices made here and previously. Can defeat emperor, at least temporarily. Possible option to side with (replace?) the emperor.

- Returns from the outer rim to republic space. Possibly as a pariah - no one realises what he has done except the Jedi, and the Jedi potentially have disowned him even if it was a LS path.

The thing is, if you played KOTOR 2 then you'd learn so much more about Revan. One thing about Revan was that he is a military genius, he strategically manipulates people (there was a reason why he wanted the Exile to travel with him). He also fell to the dark side on purpose, it was all planned from the beginning.

If KOTOR 3 portrays Revan as a bumbling idiot like he was in KOTOR 1 then....well.....I'd rather not play it at all. They have to show Revan being the smart intellectual that he is, show him strategizing, have dialogue where you are shown how smart you are, have you lie and manipulate people like Kreia did. Now that's how it should be done.

Archived