Home

Credit System

An idea for members to gain from their contributions at LF!

The Credit System would allow members to receive credit for their "good deeds" on the forums, in which they can use credits to gain certain privileges.

How this will work - Credits will be kept track of by a credit counter (the same method for post count) and will be displayed under avatar. Every member, including new ones, will start with 50 credits. 10 credits will be gained for every 100th post by a member. (100 posts = 10 credits)

Members earn 1 credit by contributing to forums (writing Fan Fics, making avy/sigs, helping with mods, ect.). For every contributing act, members will receive 1 credit for every post pertaining to their contribution.

Example - I'm writing a Fan Fic and finished, my finished Fan Fic is made up of 18 posts. That's 18 credits received for my finished Fan Fic.

What to do with all these credits? Unfortunately I could only come up with 2 ideas, buying a new user name or buying a custom title.

Buying a new name - Let's say a new name costs 100,000 credits. Members can spend 100,000 credits to buy a new name. This also could be a way to eliminate the 'Request a name change' thread.

Buying a new title - This would work the same as buying a new name. The difference? Members that have a post count lower than 1,000 can buy a custom title with their credits, once 1,000 post count is reached custom titles will be free to change.

I figured this would be a good way to motivate members here to be more active by giving them rewards for contributing to the community.

Any new ideas, suggestions, changes are all welcome!

Admin/Mods, I really hope you carefully look this idea over, I believe this can be done and would be very interesting to all members here at LF.

A question that might be asked - Why not use post count instead? By using credits this gives us the same method as money and makes us work to gain privileges. (If I buy a new name for 100,000 credits then 100,000 credits will be deducted from my credit count. I would have to gain 100,000 more credits if I want to change my name again). Also by doing so no one would lose their post count.

Admin/Mods, I really hope you carefully look this idea over, I believe this can be done and would be very interesting to all members here at LF.

A question that might be asked - Why not use post count instead? By using credits this gives us the same method as money and makes us work to gain privileges. (If I buy a new name for 100,000 credits then 100,000 credits will be deducted from my credit count. I would have to gain 100,000 more credits if I want to change my name again). Also by doing so no one would lose their post count.

Actually, we had exactly this until like 4-5 years ago. We git rid of it for a couple of reasons, but I'm pretty sure if you only bug Thrik enough, he'll more than happily reimplement it for you. That said do not donate money to him, regardless of any story he'll tell you. >_>

The Credit System would allow members to receive credit for their "good deeds" on the forums, in which they can use credits to gain certain privileges.

I believe something similar to what you describe was used on LucasForums back in 2002/2003, though it proved to cause much more trouble than it was worth and the feature got removed. Thus I think it is highly unlikely that it would get reintroduced.

It would also open up that whole can of worms about who gets to decide what a "good deed" is and how to award points. :)

I believe something similar to what you describe was used on LucasForums back in 2002/2003, though it proved to cause much more trouble than it was worth and the feature got removed. Thus I think it is highly unlikely that it would get reintroduced.

It would also open up that whole can of worms about who gets to decide what a "good deed" is and how to award points. :)

I think glowy titles extended into 2004, because I remember them but was never able to get one.

It would have to be a completely automated system in order to work well. But it sounds cool, doesn't it? :D

_EW_

How this will work - Credits will be kept track of by a credit counter (the same method for post count) and will be displayed under avatar. Every member, including new ones, will start with 50 credits. 10 credits will be gained for every 100th post by a member. (100 posts = 10 credits)

Members earn 1 credit by contributing to forums (writing Fan Fics, making avy/sigs, helping with mods, ect.). For every contributing act, members will receive 1 credit for every post pertaining to their contribution.

Example - I'm writing a Fan Fic and finished, my finished Fan Fic is made up of 18 posts. That's 18 credits received for my finished Fan Fic.

I think these would lead to a lot more spammers than usual. Besides, I can't think of a way to figure out hoe to do deem a "helpful" post. Maybe something like the "Mod This!" function on http://redvsblue.com?

The options on rvb.com are:

+1 Funny

+1 Cool

+1 Ditto

+1 Zing!

-1 Lame

-1 WTF

-1 Noob

-1 Flamebait.

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=1637

This function might even be able to replace the report spam thingy.

Maybe when the score goes below, say, -50 a moderator checks out the post. Maybe when someone rates 150 posts they get say 20 credits.

I know of two ways that credits could be awarded:

1.) Set the credit system up the same as receiving Reps. or like on some forums (christian forums is a good example) they have what are called blessings. You gain blessings to make avatars and sigs for yourself.

2.) Set the system up to where if some one receives help from another member, that person clicks a link/button "Credit Award" and by doing so this will send a message to a Admin/Mod who then can over look what the good deed is, and reward the member.

Also to help prevent spamming, members can only receive a certain amount of credits in a 24 hour period.

I had no idea that there was something like this before, but it wouldn't hurt to give it another try!

Though you were not expected nor wanted to say this, Ender. XD

1.) Set the credit system up the same as receiving Reps. or like on some forums (christian forums is a good example) they have what are called blessings. You gain blessings to make avatars and sigs for yourself.
:rolleyes: Everyone has avatars and sigs, so...the point would be?

2.) Set the system up to where if some one receives help from another member, that person clicks a link/button "Credit Award" and by doing so this will send a message to a Admin/Mod who then can over look what the good deed is, and reward the member.
This will work especially well in those off-topic, fan art/fiction, debate and drool-about-games sub-forums.

Also to help prevent spamming, members can only receive a certain amount of credits in a 24 hour period.
Ah, like in that Zyndarilla tale, "WTF, no help for you punk, I CAN'T GET MOAR REP B4 12AM"?

I had no idea that there was something like this before, but it wouldn't hurt to give it another try!
Like I said before, BUG THRIK ABOUT IT, via PM, one every 12 hours.

Or it might turn into a horrible popularity contest.

'Might'? You mean 'would'. :p

This proposed system sounds like an overly complicated way to sponsor e-penis waving without actually adding anything to the forums. Most of the stuff that you suggested could be bought with the credits is already available for free.

Members earn 1 credit by contributing to forums (writing Fan Fics, making avy/sigs, helping with mods, ect.).

I would by no means count all fics, avatars and sigs as contributions to the forums. >_>

• 4 weeks later...
I agree, I like it, I think that we should pay a certain amount of credits for moderator privileges :D

No

I say we have a reverse credit system. You're given a tally and each day it goes down slowly unless you DO post a helpful post. Tally reaches zero.. and sayonara .. hehehe :devsmoke:

Oh we could go the SomethingAwful route and just ban people mercilessly :D

Seriously though. The 2002/2003 store encouraged crappy short posts so that new signatures, glowy titles, custom usernames, italicized and bolded other nicknackes and was really quite pointless.

In order to reinstate that particular VBulletin mod, we'd have to take away all the perks that members currently have (aka custom title at 1000 posts, nice large avatars, custom signatures, etc.)

While the points system was fun, it didn't encourage thoughtful discussion.

Archived