Home

Shadows of the Empire = Sith Engine?

swaaye

I've pondered this occasionally over the years and was playing the game the other day. Obviously the game uses something newer than the Jedi engine from Dark Forces, but it's not quite up to Jedi Knight's level either. I doubt that it's something all separate to their other efforts. Anyone know any details about SotE's tech?

Some of the texturing in the game looks like it was pulled right out of Dark Forces but with the standard bilinear filtering blur treatment. Most of the textures look like they were definitely designed for N64's sad little texture cache that required teeny tiny textures. Makes things almost look like they aren't textured at all sometimes, that they are just gouraud shaded colored polys lol.

As far as I know, the Sith engine was only used to make JK, MotS, Indy ATIM, Droid Works and somewhat in Grim Fandango.

I've been unable to find the name of the engine used in SotE so far.

Actually on the wiki it says Grim used the GrimE adventure engine.

I think it said somewhere that SOTE used the SCUMM engine from Maniac Mansion.

• 9 months later...

Over on the DF21 forum, I found a great post with a link to a post mortem about Shadows of the Empire. It's just loaded with interesting info about the development of the game.

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/04/postmortem_star_wars_shadows_o.php

Really was a bleeding edge showcase of N64. They had a ton of problems to deal with. And it's interesting to read about how their decision to make so much variety in the gameplay lead to the need to make basically a bunch of different game engines for one game. So I guess that means that SotE is unique from DF and JK. Not much in the way of engine tech sharing, unless JK uses a refined version of SotE's shooter engine (doesn't really feel that way.)

Archived