Home

PS3 Owners Question

Aight I both have a 360 and PS3 and TFU demo on both. I have a 32" 720p LCD HDTV. I do not have HDMI cables hooked up through my PS3 or 360 only my cable box. But when I go to the display settings for both my 360 and PS3 it says I can use 1080i so I'm like ok I'll choose both of them. So when I played the 360 version the graphics were sharp and amazing and when I compared it to the PS3 version they were slightly duller.

So I'm thinking, why is there such a big difference? But when I watched my TV settings as I switched from YPbPr1 (PS3) to YPbPr2 (360) I saw a resolution change. For some reason my PS3 was only displaying the demo in 720p not 1080i where as the 360 version was in 1080i.

So I popped in Assassin's Creed on my PS3 because on the box it says 720p and 1080i compatible and it turns on in 720p. Is there a setting I don't have checked that isn't allowing me to play in 1080i but when I turn on my PS3 and it switches to the correct input the Home page is played in 1080i.

Anyone know what I have to do to have my PS3 display 1080i?

If your TV outputs 720P, why send it 1080i signals? It would only mean it would have to downscale and deinterlace the imgage to 720p. That's what it probably does with the xbox. You should ask how to get the xbox to output 720p. not the other way around.

I don't know that much about TV's. Is 720p better than 1080i?

Even if it is, the quality seems so much crisper and clearer on 1080i 360 version compared to 720p PS3 version.

I don't know that much about TV's. Is 720p better than 1080i?

A TV always works best at its native resolution. If the resolution is higher, it has to lower it losing some of the data in the process (downscaling) and if it is lower it has to multiply some of the pixels (upscaling).

Even if it is, the quality seems so much crisper and clearer on 1080i 360 version compared to 720p PS3 version.

That's probably because the game looks better on the xbox, but you can try forcing the PS3 to give you 1080i, perhaps even 1080p.

In XMB go to settings->display settings. Choose the first option (I think it's display output settings) choose your connection method, choose "Manual". You'll get a checklist. Uncheck everything except 1080i or 1080p. You're set.

I have the Standard TV resolution(grayed out can't deselect), 480p, 720p, 1080i. I have tried unchecking them in different ways and haven't gotton through. I am using the standard playstation plugs, I am planning on getting an HDMI port for it, I am using the standard plugs on the Xbox as well.

I would recommend getting a HDMI cable from monoprice.com if your monitor supports HDMI input. The "official" Sony HDMI cables are selling for $50-60. You can get them on monoprice for about $10-15, depending on what length of cable you need. I got my HDMI cables there and they work just fine. That will make your PS3 look a lot better.

If you have a 360 with HDMI out (I think only the Elites have them right now, not completely sure) you can just swap the cable between the consoles whenever you want to play. I don't have an Elite, so I bought the 360 VGA cables so I can have my PS3 and 360 hooked into my monitor at all times without swapping cables.

I would recommend getting a HDMI cable from monoprice.com if your monitor supports HDMI input. The "official" Sony HDMI cables are selling for $50-60. You can get them on monoprice for about $10-15, depending on what length of cable you need. I got my HDMI cables there and they work just fine. That will make your PS3 look a lot better.

If you have a 360 with HDMI out (I think only the Elites have them right now, not completely sure) you can just swap the cable between the consoles whenever you want to play. I don't have an Elite, so I bought the 360 VGA cables so I can have my PS3 and 360 hooked into my monitor at all times without swapping cables.

your right only the 360 elite does have the hdmi port.

And I bought my hdmi cable for 10 $ here in canada and its really making a difference , the composite are horrible . Plus the sound is noisy and static.

HDMI is sound and input.

That's right - since HDMI is digital, there's no data corruption due to bad cable production. Buy the cheapest HDMI cable you find, you'll get the exact same picture and sound you'd have gotten with a 100$ monster cable HDMI.

I really don't get it - why do Sony put these crappy cables with their console? It wouldn't cost them more to put an HDMI cable, or at least a Component cable.

Not to mention Sony's console is reported to be a b*tch to program for. Many X-Box/ PS3 comparisons showed the X-Box came out better.

Dev's will need time to get used to the machine. Mind you, the X-Box is from microsoft. I suppose that, when a game is designed, it's easier to combine Windows game tools and the actual X-Box then Windows and a PS3. :)

Yeah, programming with Multi Threading is a bitch, and seven different threads is a real bitch, but I do believe with the new Phyre Engine things will get better for PS3, and with all due respect, I believe that when devs will learn how to make the most of it, it will produce better graphics than the 360.

Of course, by that time MS will release the next Xbox, which makes my point moot.

your right only the 360 elite does have the hdmi port.

And I bought my hdmi cable for 10 $ here in canada and its really making a difference , the composite are horrible . Plus the sound is noisy and static.

HDMI is sound and input.

Actually the newer 360 Premium consoles now have HDMI ports. I believe they began doing this a year or so ago.

Yeah I just bought a HDMI cable from my local Cox store, got a sweet deal. So yeah when I hooked it up it switched to an HDMI channel, the sound is better, and the quality is much crisper, but when I play games that say I can play it in 1080i it still doesn't switch. I don't really get how to upscale my resoultion on the PS3, but for some reason on my Xbox which has its standard plugs plays games in 1080i. I guess I'm just going to call Sony because I have nooo idea whats up, maybe I have some setting wrong.

Archived