Anyone think Malak looks cool?

MajinMikeyX

Is Malak cool?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Is Malak cool?

• Yes, of course
    • No way
    • He can go die

He needed to develop some Sith-Lord-Style-Sense.

He was brave enough to break the mould in that regard.

He wanted to set himself apart from all the other boring, black-clad sith lords - so why not go completely opposite with a nice orange?

He was brave enough to break the mould in that regard.

He wanted to set himself apart from all the other boring, black-clad sith lords - so why not go completely opposite with a nice orange?

It made him kinda look like he just escaped from prison, and decided to keep his jumpsuit but add some purple cloth. :lol:

It made him kinda look like he just escaped from prison, and decided to keep his jumpsuit but add some purple cloth.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I hate the character, and most elements about him - but at least it was nice to see something other than black robes.

I was under the impression that Malak did what he did to become the supreme ruler of the galaxy.

Seems like they all have that goal but there are other better ways of doing that than destroying everything because if you blow up everything, what is left to rule over? I would think itd be better to scare people and make them "think" youre gonna blow them up most of the time and just pick and chose when it would be best to actually destroy something, like when it would benefit you somehow. Thats why these badguys who show no mercy and kill/destroy everything for the sake of it dont last. Its better to just keep people guessing about your intentions or make them at least think youre doing everything for a good reason and their benefit.

He was probably more interesting before he went Dark. He's has brute strength, and is a wicked fighter, but something of an idiot. His tactical sense appears to go no further than "take club; smash obstacle."

Take Telos for example. The place was a potential hiding spot for Jedi, was crawling with failed apprentices and their FS descendants, had some impressive military structures, and was on a moderately-traveled Outer Rim hyperspace run.

Revan? Okay, plant a handful of spies among the Agri-Corps and send some "recruiters" to sniff out anyone else with ernough anger and Force potential to be useful. Then, stratigically hit the cities, send HK-47 to nail the local government, and activate that fifth column you've put in place to convince the locals that signing on is a good idea.

Malak? Bomb planet to ash. No military salvage, no infrastructure. No Dark Jedi recruits. Just a useless ball of poison rock. Total waste. Worse, the Republic has an atrocity to rally around and inspire their troops. Malak proves he's good for brute force, but that's the ONLY thing that guy can do. He's good as an enforcer, but as the one who will carry out the Big Plan? Not so much.

I'm betting Revan was at least shopping for a second apprentice, if not already training one (see the most excellent Brotherhood of Shadow mod...Matilda would be an excellent choice), and Malak's attack on Revan's ship was part to usurp the titla, but primarily to save his hide.

Malak? Bomb planet to ash. No military salvage, no infrastructure. No Dark Jedi recruits. Just a useless ball of poison rock. Total waste. Worse, the Republic has an atrocity to rally around and inspire their troops. Malak proves he's good for brute force, but that's the ONLY thing that guy can do. He's good as an enforcer, but as the one who will carry out the Big Plan? Not so much.

Well, maybe Malak did not need all those worthless people on Taris, as there weren't any force sensitives on Taris except for Bastila, the Sith apprentice and your PC.

As for Matilda, I agree with you.

Well, maybe Malak did not need all those worthless people on Taris, as there weren't any force sensitives on Taris except for Bastila, the Sith apprentice and your PC.

As for Matilda, I agree with you.

Telos, friend. As in Carth's homeworld, and the spot Atris was slumming in. Not Taris as in "jerks on top, rakghouls below." Though, with the Padawan Massacare backstory, who knows?

Analyzing Malak's past, one could easily identify his eagerness to blow particularly diffcult to remove obstacles to smithreens. However, despite his recklessness and lack of subttlety, even Malak must have enough tactical sense to stay on top of the Sith food-chain for the time he did.

That's just a guess, though. I think he wouldn't blow Coruscant of the space charts if he had the chance to. He'd much rather invade the planet with his natural brutality, but would try his best to conservate the economy of the place. Of course, the Star Forge might have been the reason as to why he could keep his throne.

You're judging a lot about Malak based on the fact that he nuked Telos and Taris. Considering, according to TSL, Malak destroyed Telos on Revan's orders, and Taris was a useless world that was harboring two of Malak's greatest enemies, obliterating the planet seems like the most logical thing to do to me.

Well, those and Dantooine are the only examples we get to see in-game.

As for how he was able to keep it? Well, it's an example of a fundamental flaw in the Sith before Bane said "Screw this, two only." Namely, that the title was held by not whoever was the most clever or devious, but whoever could kill the last guy. This type of succession favored folks who were really good with brawling at the expense of the expense of the long-term planners.

And while Revan wanted Telos, the way it was taken is not Revan's style. As we saw in the Mical conversation, Revan's style was very surgical. Kill politicians, hit a few cities, and keep the infrastructure intact. Furthermore, Atton admits that the war would be won by whoever had the most saber-swingers. Telos would have been a goldmine with all those Sensitives the Jedi discarded. And even a (at the time) low-level merc like Canderous knew that Malak gave the order. If such a thing was common knowledge, it definitely implies that Revan and Malak had a disagreement over it.

Yes, Revan wanted the planet. Yes, Revan told Malak to take the planet. However, I'm of the theory that it was a test to see if Malak had any tactical sence or grasp of the Big Picture. Malak's carpet bombing proved he didn't, and Revan (being the tactical brains of the operation) probably told him in no undertain terms what a fool he was and how much was wasted.

Are you kidding? If Revan is really as smart as you make him out to be, he would have known that Malak would turn the world into a pile of ash. I think Revan wanted Malak to do that, too, as a fear weapon - where Revan struck, it was a surgical attack with minimal damage. Where he sent Malak, it was desolation. 'Surrender to me, and I'll keep Malak away from you. Keep resisting, and not only will you be destroyed, but I'll use him to do it.' You people keep forgetting that Revan was a Sith Lord.

I am factoring in Revan being a Sith Lord, actually. When I try to picture how Revan operated as a Sith Lord, I tend to get most of my cues from Traya. That hag is a full-blown Darth, corroded to the bone, and has carbonite for blood. She casually mind-rapes three members of Exile's crew! She applauds when you kill an ill beggar in the Nar Shadaa slums. She sets Telos up to become Nihilus's lunch.

However, if your Exile acts like a hoodlum and engages in wanton slaughter, she will chew him up one side and down the other. Sion, another of the "brute strength" school, she berates as "limited" and sets him up to be broken on the Exile's will.

Now, Revan spent years under Traya's tutlage. There were masters after Traya, but Traya was the first, and the one Revan returned to when there was a crisis. That indicates Revan respected Traya's outlook and style. Yes, Traya has some serious hero-worship for her former pupil, but she tends to become overly fond of them anyway - see Exile.

When I try to picture how Revan operated as a Sith Lord, I tend to get most of my cues from Traya. That hag is a full-blown Darth, corroded to the bone, and has carbonite for blood.

In her methods, certainly, though not at all in her philosophy. Conscious rejection of power (or at least wanting to consciously reject power, she is a hypocrite) is about un-Sith as anything can be.

Love the metaphor, though. :p

Traya is a manipulator. Revan had elements of that, but he was more of a grand strategist, and application of massive force can be a very effective strategy. Fear is a powerful weapon. And while, yes, the destruction of Telos rallied the Republic against Revan, the Republic rallying against him didn't matter. The Jedi were the only ones who ever accomplished anything against Revan of note. The destruction of Telos unified the Republic for a time, yes, but imagine the reaction when they realized that, even with the full might of the Republic being thrown against him, Revan was still winning decisively. Do the worlds want to be on the morally upright side...or the side that wins?

Most worlds would choose, eventually, the side that wins. And there really isn't any doubt that the Sith would have won that war, had Revan not gotten mindwiped and reprogrammed.

Off topic:

You have to take clues from Kreia. Did he really fall, or did he do what he knew he must in order to save the republic? I think that the republic needed a good kick in the pants, and thats what Revan gave it. Just because He was turned on, doesn't mean much. For one, he was about to take care of the strike team before he was bombed by the guy who was supposed to be watching his back. I think that Revan was going to make the Republic prove its worth, then back off...before his student turned a few laser canons on him.

On topic:

Malak is a cowerdly fruitcake, who knew he couldn't take care of revan up close and personal. So he used the fact that Revan was distracted to try and seize the throne for himself. And he can't even defeat Revan when he doesn't have his memory! Truly sad.

Archived