Home

Reasons why you play Kotor over and over again?

Knight Of Honor

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gizka smashing!

At first I played it over and over to see how the different choices and actions affected the story line. Now I play it when a mod comes out I want to see or when I just want to visit some old friends. I play TSL more than KOTOR, but every once in a while I have to play KOTOR again.

Every once in a while, when a very large and reputable mod comes out, I give one of the KOTOR games a play-through, but not under any other circumstances. Strictly speaking, I don't play it "over and over" again, because the phrase implies not having breathing room.

I played KOTOR when it came out, the game was fun at first, but then I got bored of it fast, which was.... in December 20th 2004, when KOTOR II came out.

I stopped playing KOTOR I that time, and played KOTOR II, I had so much fun with KOTOR II, I had more fun with KII then KI.

So, I played KOTOR I about around... 10 times. I haven't played the game in a LONG time, I don't remember that much from it...

The characters. Seriously, I put the game up for a while as I worked like crazy in another fandom, and got around to reinstalling it.

I forgot how much I adored Mission's good cheer and kind nature. I forgot how much I wanted to pull Juhani into a hug when she surrenders at the grove. I forgot how poetic Canderous was capable of being, and how Carth was really an honest, decent guy once he pulled his act together. I forgot how brittle Bastila truly was, and Vrook's gruff demeanor (though I heckled the screen with "Hey, I'm not gonna be the death of you - that's the OTHER GUY!")

It is a good, solid story. Classically Star Wars in in every sense of the word - epic scope, high adventure, pathos, romance, and humor. I forgot how much I missed it.

• 3 weeks later...

That's what we like to call a "+1 post", where the poster clearly has nothing to contribute but posts anyway just to add a numeral to his post count. This is common among obsessive posters, younger posters, and posters with lobotomies. The only cure for this particularly devastating disease is to remove the afflicted user's post count and return it to zero (0).

-Doctor Iny

I have it, played it a bit, and just didn't have fun. I know a lot of work was put into the game, and understand the large fanbase, but I don't really understand why it's like the most popular Star Wars thing to date.

When I said this whole place, I meant LucasForums as a whole because they seem to talk about KotOR modding and stuff more than anything. I just click New Posts to find out what's up and this thread title made me laugh. I'm not bashing it, I just don't get the huge deal over it.

Okay Inyri, so what exactly was YOUR post? :rolleyes:

You're a horrible person.

QFT. :xp:

Anyways, I play KotOR multiple times due to humor, killing-sprees, modding and, oh yeah, kill any "free time" I have. Though, just a couple days ago, I did my first full playthrough of the year. :p I mostly tend to "mod & go", due to bad habits. I almost forgot entirely about the revelation scene with Malak. As I thought when I first completed KotOR, it is still very enjoyable to me. :D

Well, my number one reason is that I am a gigantic Star Wars fan, so I play my games over and over again and I love them. The second reason is all the modding capabilities. It's always fun to go back and re-experience the game with the newest mods I've accumulated since the last playthrough. It keeps the game semi-fresh.

Kotor was one of the first games I picked up for my Xbox back in the day (Circa 2004), and I can remember getting massacred by the Vulkers and Rakghouls my first play through, and having to retreat and toss frag grenades in order to pick up the win. I replayed the game for the same reason every other Kotor fan has; for fun, but to also play through as a different Class, or walk an alternate path (LS/DS).

K1 has always been what kept me from replaying TSL, which I've only played through twice. KotOR is like a cycle for me. I'll stop playing it (usually after completing it), for about 4,5,6 months. Then, all of a sudden, I'll start getting that special feeling, and, after about a week of thinking about it, I'll pick it up and embark on another 60 hour epic. Thing is, whenever that special feeling kicks in, K1 is always just ahead of TSL in terms of nostalgic longing.

I think it's that I just enjoy K1's atmosphere and characters more than TSL, which is strange because I find TSL's characters more developed in certain respects. I guess I just like Bastila too much :p. The environments of K1 are certainly more appealing to me, as I find many of TSL's to be a bit uninspired. I think the "dark" atmosphere of TSL sort of sucks the ..well, life out of the environments you visit. In K1 the planets were all so different and colorful. TSL's just feel too dank and miserable for me to even want to visit them. K1 also feels more epic to me. While I appreciate TSL's attempt to convey a darker aftermath to the events of K1, I don't find it quite as gripping as its predecessor.

TSL's horrible flaws toward the end also keep me sticking with K1. I anxiously await Team Gizka, however. As soon as that comes out, I'll certainly be purchasing a PC copy of TSL. I'm positive they will enhance TSL to a new level of greatness.

Archived