Home

Humongous Entertainment Musics

Alpheon

My current project: to do a humongous Humongous Entertainment compilation soundtrack, featuring music from all their games (excluding the Backyard Sports and Moonbase Commander--for the former, there are just too many). Strangely, I've always liked the tunes played in the background of Freddi Fish, Putt-Putt, SPY Fox and the like, and would like to have them on-hand so I can listen to them whenever I'd like. :)

Fun fact: Jeremy Soule, the same composer who brought us SW:KOTOR's score, also conceived Putt-Putt's BGM.

But, instead of doing a lengthy, painful line-in rip as I play the games, I'd love to simply be able to extract the music using something like SCUMM Revisited. But Humongous Entertainment's game structure appears to be different than LucasArts, so I don't know where to start. :( Can anyone help? Just pointing me in the right direction (where to find the music files, what tool to use to extract them) would be hugely appreciated.

Much thanks.

I believe the older ones are MIDI and then gradually become digital audio. Though, the older ones also have some digital sound (like for voices).

Yes indeed; or at least, that's my idea. Like I said, I'm not even sure where to start--I can't find anything that even looks like music files (MONSTER.SOU, etc.) within the game disc directories. And this is exactly what I was talking about: I don't even know where to start. :(

I'll check out ScummEX (hadn't heard of it before now) and let you know my findings.

UPDATE: Ok. So--what I'm currently looking at is the "Humongous Entertainment Classics" disc. It contains on it the games Putt-Putt Joins the Parade, Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise, and Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon. In the immediate drive directory, there are what appear to be resource archives, titled "PUTTMOON", "FBEAR", and "PUTTPUTT", all using the file extensions "HE0" - "HE4". There are also maybe-archives with the extensions "SNG" (song?), "W32" and "BRS".

Truth be told, I haven't the slightest as to how to export files with ScummRev or ScummEX. I'm rather a novice, but I'm willing to learn!

The questions now are:

How do I export files from any (mainstream included) SCUMM game using either of the utilities mentioned above?

Where should I begin looking for the Humongous Entertainment music files? :p

Thanks for reading. Really appreciate it.

UPDATE 2: Ugh. The "SNG" (what else could it stand for?) files are unreadable by both EX and Revisited. :(

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
Hi there, curious as to if you were ever successful. I'd love to hear it. I miss these games so much.

My very late reply: nope, sorry. Was never able to crack into these files. I know it can't be too sophisticated, either, but I just don't know where to start. If anyone still has any willingness to help with this, know that the problem still exists, and any assistance would be hugely appreciated.

And Norris, thanks for the link. It only has two tracks from Putt-Putt Joins the Parade, though.

• 2 months later...

Hay Hi. I know a little about your problem And i would love to be a part in helping you out with this goal because i too love the music from these games.

First of all here is the description of the files:

HE0: DK

he1: The file with all the info for the games like places characters

he2: All of the speech files

he3: All the songs in midi or mod format(Not the file you want, don't know how to do anything with it)

he4: the magical sound file (unsigned 8 bit PCM at 11025 bitrate)

The rest of the files are needed to run scumm and various other aspects of the game IE how to tie all of the data together. If you want more detail on the files i can try to let you know.

Now for the good stuff Being able to play the songs as a whole

(This method will get you a whole lot closer to your goal as the songs are not split apart)

First get Audacity ® 1.3.12-beta (Unicode)(I have done this with 1.3.11 so it should still work.)

second click file-import-raw data

third select the music file (IE Spyfox.he4 PuttPutt.he4...)

fourth make sure encoding is: unsigned 8 bit PCM

byte order: no endianness

channels: 1 channel(mono)

start offset:0 bytes

amount to import: 100%

sample rate: 11025

fifth click import

wait till its done

and then there is all of the songs from the game

if you want to play it you can there in audacity or export it by clicking on file export.

now to split the songs in later putt putt games and others you may be fortunate to have lines show up in audacity that indicate the splits

right now I am trying to create a program that you just point a file at it and it will split the original he4 file and convert it to whatever you want. But I hope this will help you out. You now have a stepping stone.

pm me with questions if you have any.

-Barnstormer

• 2 months later...

Hi, I too have been looking for a way to get spy fox/pajama sam/etc music with little success. I am not handy with programming in anyway but would love to get a hand of the music if you succeed.

Spy Fox operation Ozone has some songs on the game cd itself. While only 1 or two of the songs is any good (song from the final credits :D), it gives a composer who also seems to have been a programmer/done other music for Humongous. You may want to try contacting her here. http://www.linkedin.com/in/leahverre

• 4 months later...
Hay Hi. I know a little about your problem And i would love to be a part in helping you out with this goal because i too love the music from these games.

First of all here is the description of the files:

HE0: The file with all the info for the games like places characters

he1: dk

he2: dk

he3: All the songs in midi or mod format(Not the file you want, don't know how to do anything with it)

he4: the magical sound file (unsigned 8 bit PCM at 11025 bitrate)

The rest of the files are needed to run scumm and various other aspects of the game IE how to tie all of the data together. If you want more detail on the files i can try to let you know.

Now for the good stuff Being able to play the songs as a whole

(This method will get you a whole lot closer to your goal as the songs are not split apart)

First get Audacity ® 1.3.12-beta (Unicode)(I have done this with 1.3.11 so it should still work.)

second click file-import-raw data

third select the music file (IE Spyfox.he4 PuttPutt.he4...)

fourth make sure encoding is: unsigned 8 bit PCM

byte order: no endianness

channels: 1 channel(mono)

start offset:0 bytes

amount to import: 100%

sample rate: 11025

fifth click import

wait till its done

and then there is all of the songs from the game

if you want to play it you can there in audacity or export it by clicking on file export.

now to split the songs in later putt putt games and others you may be fortunate to have lines show up in audacity that indicate the splits

right now I am trying to create a program that you just point a file at it and it will split the original he4 file and convert it to whatever you want. But I hope this will help you out. You now have a stepping stone.

pm me with questions if you have any.

-Barnstormer

LATE REPLY:

This is so cool. Thanks, Barnstormer! I have yet to actually try this, but once I get my new hard drive installed, I sure as heck will. This is perfect; thanks hugely.

And thank you, darkboy! I just might. I didn't realize she'd done other work for them; she could be a valuable contact. :)

• 3 months later...
I know this thread is a little dated, but I too am looking for the sound files for Moonbase Commander; I've tried the method barnstormer suggested with the .HE4 file, but I didn't recover anything. Are there any other suggestions?
That's because the sound doesn't match the older version. The sound in at least the demo is stereo.

It would just be easier to rip the wave files out of the .HE4 using a hex editor than doing some hack with Audacity. The full game probably uses some sort of compressed audio too.

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest problem that i found with the he4 files is it doesn't use a standard wav header before the sub file(at least spyfox 1,2 all puttputt and all fready fish), what you look for is sdat but right after it is where the music start so you have to still add a wav header. Ill work on a spliter program (Im working on a moding tool kit for simpsons hit and run so ive learned a bit more about vb and how games work)

The biggest problem that i found with the he4 files is it doesn't use a standard wav header before the sub file(at least spyfox 1,2 all puttputt and all fready fish), what you look for is sdat but right after it is where the music start so you have to still add a wav header. Ill work on a spliter program (Im working on a moding tool kit for simpsons hit and run so ive learned a bit more about vb and how games work)
That's because it's just raw PCM audio. The later games (such as Moonbase Commander) do have wave files in their music files, which is why I said that to TacticianMark.

ScummVM has all the code for the format here and here if you want to create a proper extractor.

To clone2727

Ok that is understandable. the biggest problem is i use vb i know very little c++, so the links are more over my head then not , but i will try to implement the wave header finder into my program(im getting my hands on a copy of moonbace commander to see how to work it into my code(Reinventing the wheel i know but eh i need the experience) )

Edit : i have attempted and succeeded at utilizing the code you linked

To Everyone else:

I have created a extractor that should work with all h.e. games including moon base commander (if it doesn't work please pm me ill try to fix it)

All you do is point it to the he4 file and it will go through it extracting the wavs (Support is coming for mp3 export)

Download it here: http://mntcoders.elementfx.com/dl/he4me/He_games_music_extractor.exe

if you need info go to : http://mntcoders.elementfx.com/programs/he4me.html

If you have problems let me know email is at my homepage http://mntcoders.elementfx.com

Barnstormer

• 7 months later...
To clone2727

Ok that is understandable. the biggest problem is i use vb i know very little c++, so the links are more over my head then not , but i will try to implement the wave header finder into my program(im getting my hands on a copy of moonbace commander to see how to work it into my code(Reinventing the wheel i know but eh i need the experience) )

To Everyone else:

I have created a extractor that should work with all h.e. games including moon base commander (if it doesn't work please pm me ill try to fix it)

All you do is point it to the he4 file and it will go through it extracting the wavs (Support is coming for mp3 export)

Download it here: http://mntcoders.elementfx.com/dl/he4me/He_games_music_extractor.exe

If you have problems let me know email is at my homepage http://mntcoders.elementfx.com

Barnstormer

Barnstormer: after four years, THANK YOU. THIS IS AWESOME.

• 4 months later...
To clone2727

To Everyone else:

Barnstormer

One year later, and I find this. Absolutely brilliant, thank you. Pajama Sam 1, 2, 3, Freddi Fish 2, 3, 4, Spy Fox 1, and Putt-Putt Moon and Saves the Zoo - all have music extracted.

I uploaded your program to Mediafire (http://www.mediafire.com/?iezh2vadyuu6evo), just in case for some reason something happens to the original links.

Only game I couldn't use it on was Pajama Sam's Lost & Found, as there didn't appear to be a .he4 file on the disk.

Archived