Home

Might get an Xbox...=O

Niner_777

Wow, after all this time of taking pride in being a PC gamer, my friends may finally have me talked into getting an Xbox. I'm not positive yet.

Before, I had the choice to spend my money on an Xbox or a sexy new guitar, and I chose the guitar. Which, I'm very happy with, but all my friends have Xbox and Halo 3, so they keep talking about how much fun it is just to hang out and play it.

Soez, what should I get? I'm looking at something like this:

- Xbox 360 60GB : 300 dollars (It comes with a headset and HD AV pack?)

- Xbox Live : 50 dollars (12 Months)

- Vizio VX20L 20" HDTV LCD Flat Screen TV Monitor : 250 dollars (can it actually be that cheap? Is refurbished fine?)

- Random Game : 60 dollars

- Ethernet Cable : ??? (Not sure the exact distance I need. Is 10-20 dollars right for 100 ft?)

- What else?

This will put me at around 700 dollars, which is not that bad, but It's probably more money than I've spent on liesure items in my entire life combined. :?

I think I've got a nice chair that should fit, might need a bit of fixing up, hopefully with stuff I have already. I'm planning to just make a tv table out of some cement blocks and some boards, I think.

Which leads me to a second set of questions:

- reckon 20 inch is good for about 4-5 feet away?

- is it worth it to get an HDTV, mainly for Xbox use, though it would be nice for TV/DVDs. I could probably shave off 100 dollars if I scrap the HD and the LCD. I would like to use this TV for awhile, so I suppose I don't want it to go out of date for awhile.

- hmm, what games should I get? I want to get Halo 3, since that is what most of my friends play, along with CoD4, which I can buy from my friend for 40 dollars probably. I'm hearing good things about GRAW too, and could probably buy it off my friend for cheap. This is just kind of a random question and I'll probably ask it again later on. :p

Thanks for the help.

I greatly recommend the Xbox 360. I don't normally buy Xbox Live unless I have a very major bought of free time (Such as during a vacation time period). Otherwise I stick with Single Player. The 360 has the ability to put custom music on the harddrive and play it ingame so the 60 GB is recommended by me as well.

You don't need a super TV to get the most out of the 360. My TV is 3 years old and is not a plasmascreen or HDTV. But I can still play on it fine and the graphics show up very well.

For games I would recommend Oblivion, Grand Theft Auto 4, Halo 3, Tony Hawk's American Wasteland, F.E.A.R. Mass effect, and a few others. Basically just go with your instincts and choose a game that fits a certain genre your interested in. (FPS games, Horror games, the whole nine yards. The 360 is full of great games)

You should look at the large selection of games, if you're only gonna play one of em, there's no point getting a 360, as you'll get bored of it eventually, if you're interested in a fair few of the games, get the 360.

I'd recommend GTA IV, Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, and of course, Force Unleashed when it comes out :D

Personally I feel that if you're a PC gamer, you don't really need an Xbox360 as most XBox games eventually find their way to the PC, this is especially true if the only game you're interested in for the 360 is Halo. However, if your main interest is getting a 360 is console gaming, you just need to determine if the exclusive games interest you because when it comes down to it games are the reason you buy a console and the only reason to get one are if said consoles exclusive games intrigue you.

Xbox 360 does seem to be the place to be when it comes to video games now. A pity that the PC gaming scene is being ignored so. I don't recall the last PC-exclusive game that totally kicked ass and did not get ported over to one of the consoles.

I'd go for it if I had the money, and also because I can't play a dang guitar. Then again, I'd prolly buy a new computer first. :indif:

I'm perfectly happy with the games available for PC. My problem is that I'm always playing with people that I don't know, and if I got an Xbox I could play with my friends.

There are a lot of games that I like for Xbox, too. A few of my friends want me to go MLG at Halo 3 with them, even though I've barely played the game. o.O But we were the best players in Republic Commando, so we've got good teamwork and communication. I only feel bad about playing only a few games when I spent so much on an Xbox, but I guess as long as I use it lots, it won't be a waste of money. That's sort of how I play PC games too. I only really have 3 that I've been playing over the last several years, but I work hard to get good at them.

Personally I feel that if you're a PC gamer, you don't really need an Xbox360 as most XBox games eventually find their way to the PC, this is especially true if the only game you're interested in for the 360 is Halo.

True that. Nevertheless, seeing as how the 360 is receiving more investment from japanese corporations, I think that some of those games won't see the light on the PC, which provides you with extra motivation to buy the console.

Your list looks fair, just one thing: if you're planning on buying a HDTV, why don't buy a lager model instead of a 20"? I know you're focused on wasting the less money possible, but that may prove a sound investment on the near future.

I'd personally buy the 360. There are a lot of great games, like Burnout Paradise, Call of Duty 4, and such. If you have Gamefly like I do, you don't even need to buy games. I wouldn't really recommend playing Halo 3. unless you can stand a lot of retarded ten year olds screaming at you.

I greatly recommend the Xbox 360. I don't normally buy Xbox Live unless I have a very major bought of free time (Such as during a vacation time period). Otherwise I stick with Single Player. The 360 has the ability to put custom music on the harddrive and play it ingame so the 60 GB is recommended by me as well.

Ya, I wouldn't recommend getting a year of Xbox Live too unless you are seriously gonna play it all of the time. If you still go to school, that takes up most of your time (for the average person, that it ;)) so go for six months or something. It saves money. Especially if you are going back to school, which you probably are.

I only know this stuff because my friends also have Xbox 360's w/ Xbox Live and I don't. I probably wont be getting one anytime soon because school is starting back up and I won't have time to play video games, I don't have the money. My best chance of getting one is probably at Christmas time. ;)

Some games that I have played at my friends house are--

Halo 3

Call of Duty 3

Call of Duty 4

PGA Tour '07 & '08

-- all of these games are very fun. I recommend them all. :D

I expect that you live in America so, if there is one located near you, get your 360 from Best Buy or Costco. I think that the 360's sold at Costco are only 20GB but come with Xbox Live gear (headset, ect.) two wireless controllers for about $350.

~Costco 60GB Xbox 360~ I by far think that this is the best deal that there is for a Xbox 360 and is a bundle pack. I highly recommend that if you have time to spare, order it from Costco. ;) Great deal, if you ask me. COmes with the Ethernet cable, ect for $400. Can't beat that!

Xbox 360 does seem to be the place to be when it comes to video games now. A pity that the PC gaming scene is being ignored so. I don't recall the last PC-exclusive game that totally kicked ass and did not get ported over to one of the consoles.
Crysis ftw!!

@Niner - if you want to save a bit of money, check the other hardware you already have. if you have an LCD monitor for your computer, you might have more than one input on it, and in that case, a VGA adapter for the 360 is going to be much cheaper than a new HDTV.

also, i'd go for the Xbox Live starter kit. it includes a headset, 12-month Live Gold subscription, and a couple other goodies. the advantage there is that it costs the same as the standard 12-month Gold subscription.

and now is definitely the best time to get a 360. that 60GB HD is nice. ;)

I would also recommend the VGA cable. I've had my xbox since November of '06 and there isn't a single HDTV in my house, so I've been playing my xbox on a six year old CRT. It looked great, still. You don't need an HDTV to appreciate the graphics on the xbox. I had heard about the VGA cable and considered buying it but never did because I thought setup would be much more complicated than it really is. About a month and a half ago, my friend brought it up and was considering buying one, so I waited to see how he liked it and then bought one myself. Once you have it all set up, all you have to do is unplug your PC-monitor connection and plug in the VGA cable, and you can play games and watch movies in up to 1080P just like you would with a HDTV. Bottom Line: A VGA cable is a great purchase if you want to play games and watch movies in HD but don't have massive HDTVs hanging on your walls. Highly recommended.

For Xbox Live, it really depends on how often you plan to use it. The bigger the lump purchase is, the cheaper it is in the long run. But, that doesn't matter very much if you'll hardly use it for an entire year.

I can recommend pretty much every game I have for the Xbox, so I'll just list them off. It really depends on your tastes though.

~F.E.A.R. (High-intensity firefights with, to this day, superior AI. Well executed psychological horror. If you don't necessarily play horror games, don't let that deter you from buying this. This was my first 360 game and the first horror game I ever completed. Opened a genre for me.

~F.E.A.R. Files (I have this because I'm a fan of F.E.A.R. This package includes both of F.E.A.R.'s expansions, Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate. If you're going to bother with the series at all, buy F.E.A.R. alone. If you like it, rent this. I can't recommend it for a buy. The engine has not aged well at all and, if you ask me, it seems to deteriorate with each installment for some reason. If you liked F.E.A.R., you'll like the expansions, though.)

~Gears of War (You probably know all about this. There's a machine gun with a chainsaw for a bayonet. I don't even like the multiplayer but I would still recommend it for a buy just for the singleplayer. The price is way down now, and you can play the singleplayer with a friend.

~Rainbow Six: Vegas (Some people don't like UbiSoft games, and so don't like this game. I've had some great times with it though, and I certainly think it's the best of the series. Tactical squad based action in great, varying environments. You can create your own soldier for multiplayer and progressively unlock new equipment. With Vegas 2 out, though, you may want to just go with that. I've never played it though.

~Halo 3 (You're already planning on getting this, and I would second that decision, especially if you're a fan of Halo multiplayer. I'm not, but even I have fun goofing around with friends in Rocket Race or anything on Sandtrap for that matter. You'll have a blast with all the extra goodies Bungie put into the multiplayer like uploadable screenshots, movies, replays.)

~Bioshock (The definition of masterpiece. This is, quite possibly, my favorite game of all time. It's basically my perfect game because I usually ignore multiplayer and pay complete attention to plot, characters, narrative, details, etc. Bioshock is a work of art in every category it cares to grace with its watery touch. If you're a multiplayer enthusiast, I doubt you'll appreciate it as such, though. If you know anything about Ayn Rand, or philosophy in general, you'll want to buy this game immediately just for the characters and their lives.)

~COD4 (Another one that people seem to senselessly battle over. Have you ever watched any videos of Halo or this on Youtube and looked at the comments? Jesus -_- like you can effectively compare the two. Anyway, you probably know all about this one too. I love the game, it's got intense action broken up by lots of clever covert sequences and specialized "minigames".)

~Mass Effect (You're in the KotOR forums. I don't think there's much to be said about this. If you love KotOR, you'll love Mass Effect.

~The Orange Box (If you've never played any of the games in this box, this is an amazing deal. Hell, the price is probably even lower than it was when I got this in February. Half Life 2, HL2 Episode 1, HL2 Episode 2, Portal, Team Fortress 2. Five incredible games in one box. I'd spend 60 bucks just to get Portal. You know a game is great when a robotic operating system originally meant for icing inhibition and a ceramic cube get character of the year awards. I could easily recommend each of these games a single purchase, but you can get all five for the price of one. You should buy it just for the fiscal sense :).

~GTA IV (Grand Theft Auto made its way to the Xbox. I have yet to get fully bored of this game. I boot it up just to run people over and enjoy the Euphoria physics engine. The story focuses a lot on the American Dream and the character development is deep and rich. Each character seems to represent their own little stereotyped personality. Liberty City is smaller than San Andreas but is, much much more detailed. Highly recommended.)

The only game I have that I didn't mention is Oblivion. I used to be addicted to the game, but now I can barely summon the will to pick it up. You see, after a while I started comparing it to Morrowind. Then, I started getting too curious about the mods that are available for Oblivion on the PC that make the game so much more appealing. Now I can't play Oblivion without thinking about Morrowind or all the awesome mods on PC. I recommend this game for PC, just for the mods available that enhance everything including the graphics. For Xbox, though, I wouldn't recommend it unless you haven't played Morrowind or many other RPG's.

Hope all that was helpful and not too long :p

Edit: Well...damn that's pretty long -_-

The only game I have that I didn't mention is Oblivion. I used to be addicted to the game, but now I can barely summon the will to pick it up. You see, after a while I started comparing it to Morrowind. Then, I started getting too curious about the mods that are available for Oblivion on the PC that make the game so much more appealing. Now I can't play Oblivion without thinking about Morrowind or all the awesome mods on PC. I recommend this game for PC, just for the mods available that enhance everything including the graphics. For Xbox, though, I wouldn't recommend it unless you haven't played Morrowind or many other RPG's.

I own both Morrowind for the original Xbox and Oblivion for the Xbox 360 and their PC counterparts. I found Morrowind much easier to play on the Xbox due to it's console controls and the ease of it all. But I was greatly disappointed at the lag it had (Mostly when you were loading the game. It took like 2 minutes to load compared to the PC's 2 seconds). Oblivion felt exactly the same on the PC as the 360. So get the PC version of Oblivion for modding capabilities

Archived