Home

Demo dampend my enthusiasm :(

elikal

Now first off, I am not sure if posting my opinion here isnt kinda superfluous, with Lucasarts practically shut down the game development part, no one is maybe left to listen anyways. Alas. I have fond memories for many years of Lucasarts games, and the decision is beyond what I can understand.

Anyhow, I must say I was quite underwhelmed by the demo. Being a huge SW fan, and having enjoyed Jedi Academy, this demo was kinda... meh. I dont know why they chose one of the most unappealing areas as demo of the many lush places from the vids and screenshots.

Second, I must say I found the targetting and camera control ... terrible. It was totally unintuinitve, and 90% of the time my push and tossing things with the force went god know where but not at any target. Practially I felt most force powers are quite pointless besides the fancy show, and you could best beat most enemies by raw lightsabre power. I really wished abilities like toss objects and lightning would have some intelligent taretting, like NOT always going into nowhere.

Finally, I really really loathed the boss fight against the AT-ST. It was were I almost throught to cancel my order of the game. First, I hate games where you can fall into depth all the time, and this godforsaken walker tossed me into the depth like hell. I took a closer look at some vids now and I see the game in a whole new light. It seems to me know, it follows the bad jumpage mario-style gameplay with tons of platform aim and jump and the usual bottomless pits. Plenty of it. Its ok to have such thing once or twice as diffculty, but I am afraid the aim and jump on platform thing seems to be a major part of the game.

Finally, it took me several dozen trys to make this combo right to defeat the walker. I dunno, I am used to combos from Soul Calibur, but somehow the timing expected here was likely not for someone with the age of 37 whose nimbleness isnt as it was 20 years ago.

I had hoped for something like the many PC Jedi Knight games, and instead it looks the Super Mario DaForce now. Quite a pity. A bit more helpful gameplay and less platform jumping and goosechase running would have made this last Lucasarts game as great as it would have deserved.

But, since the last makes out the lights soon, nothing can be done, but I felt I had to say that somewhere.

Second, I must say I found the targetting and camera control ... terrible. It was totally unintuinitve, and 90% of the time my push and tossing things with the force went god know where but not at any target. Practially I felt most force powers are quite pointless besides the fancy show, and you could best beat most enemies by raw lightsabre power. I really wished abilities like toss objects and lightning would have some intelligent taretting, like NOT always going into nowhere.[/Quote]

How many times did you play? It probably just takes time to get used to the control scheme.

First, I hate games where you can fall into depth all the time, and this godforsaken walker tossed me into the depth like hell. I took a closer look at some vids now and I see the game in a whole new light. It seems to me know, it follows the bad jumpage mario-style gameplay with tons of platform aim and jump and the usual bottomless pits. Plenty of it. Its ok to have such thing once or twice as diffculty, but I am afraid the aim and jump on platform thing seems to be a major part of the game.[/Quote]

So you'd rather constantly be buffered by invisible walls? Jedi Academy had exactly the same thing (especially on some levels, such as Chandrila) so I don't see what the problem is.

Finally, it took me several dozen trys to make this combo right to defeat the walker. I dunno, I am used to combos from Soul Calibur, but somehow the timing expected here was likely not for someone with the age of 37 whose nimbleness isnt as it was 20 years ago.

I had hoped for something like the many PC Jedi Knight games, and instead it looks the Super Mario DaForce now. Quite a pity. A bit more helpful gameplay and less platform jumping and goosechase running would have made this last Lucasarts game as great as it would have deserved.

Of course it's not going to be like the Jedi Knight games. The JK series are completely different in style of play - they're also using completely different engines.

Expectations like that are pointless, as it should be clearly obvious that it's nothing like the JK series.

I have to say I don't understand what you mean by all this 'last' stuff. Lucasarts isn't shutting down. Perhaps you mean 'latest'?

I'm starting to feel that the TFU is held in the same regard by JK fans as the new MMO is by KotOR fans... This is a different game series, engine and era, treat it as such and you may enjoy it more.

That's true, but the beef a lot of people have with the KOTOR MMO is more understandable - there was at least an expectation of a single-player sequel for that, and now it's something a lot of people didn't want, whereas there never seemed to be much after JKA.

Why don't we all wait for the full game to come out then those that didn't like the demo might change there mind alittle bit about the whole situation. Please keep in mind guys for those of you that DIDN'T like the demo that, that is exactly what it was meant to be was just a demo. I have a feeling that the actual game will be alot better then the demo. Lets just give it a chance.

What do you mean platform jumping? the only things to jump on are the catwalks in the hanger, and if you do what i did and build a big tower, the assembly lines too.

the lightning goes to whatever you're targetting, although i do agree the targetting is a bit bad, it's easy to get use too. I think it would have been better to target whatever is in the middle of the camera, not whats in front of starkiller, but it doesn't really make any difference.

And yes, loads of people have said "it's not like JK II", but they don't seem to realise it's NOT supposed to be like JK II, or any other SW game for that matter. It's new.

I loved the demo too. Short and sweet.

Jedi Academy had tons of platforming from what i could remember. You jump over 1 ledge in the demo ... why the comparison?

And please define 'helpful gameplay'??

Yeah i totally agree... I was very disappointed when i played the demo, but im still gonna buy the game just for the fact that its new star wars... And for the hope that the actual game will be better.

The goddamn force powers seemed very useless to me too, exept for grip... it was so damn over powered! But the aim at it sucked, every time i locked onto an enemy and tried to lift him up, the stupid sith wannabe lifted some nearby crate! That realy sucked... And i wanted to be able to put the stormies into hundreds of pieces with the saber, and they dont even lose limbs! I feel almost as cheated as when i heard that kotor 3 will be an mmo (which i definetely still hope is not true... at least not from bioware, after all that i have gone through with their games...nyyh i cant believe it!).

But for the reflex test being difficult... WTF? I was like "yeah, a reflex test... 5 seconds(or so it seemed) to press each of the buttons?"

Lets just hope that fable 2 has the great old "COME ON" style...:p

Oh, don't say that, i've been waiting on this game for over a year! I cannot wait, I haven't played any demos and have tried not to look at any reviews. I read the novel last week and it's amazing! I had a review copy from work. Anyone who love force unleashed should read the novel.

My first thought during the opening cinematic was “This already looks and feels like an old Jedi Knight game.” Instead of Jan Ors piloting Kyle's Moldy Crow, we now have one Juno Eclipse handling the reins of Starkiller's Rogue Shadow. It's the same story set in a different era. Boy meets girl. Girl taxis boy across the stars. Boy gradually falls in love with girl and is eventually forced to choose between her fate and his destiny. Only this time, the feats are grander, the graphics are flashier, and the physics are wowier (hehe).

The production quality of The Force Unleashed is markedly higher than anything afforded by its predecessors, as the demo handily reveals. I was always too jarred by the increasingly tacky aesthetics of the Jedi Knight sequels to fully enjoy what I was playing. Don't get me wrong, I loved the original Dark Forces game. Each subsequent offering just seemed to suffer from a “and the kitchen sink too” design complex.

My only complaint about The Force Unleashed demo is that the boss fight was mind numbingly obscene. After a ten minute stalemate, I turned off the game thinking “Yeah, like I'm going to ride that monkey for another hour.” The QTE button hints are poorly timed. Starkiller's the force user, not me. I shouldn't need to use the force to know which button to press next in the QTE chain. Otherwise, I'm definitely going to buy this game when it's released. The Force Unleashed looks to be what the Jedi Knight sequels should have been, in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived