Home

Spore is here!

Arcesious

Oh hush; now you're not even being subjective, you're just ranting on about how the entire game is utterly horrid from your point of view. Yes, from other reviews it seems that Spore isn't entirely customizable, and Spore was definitely overhyped by EA (They're absolutely notorious for doing that), but overall, Spore seems fun and interesting. And that's all that matters to me. :)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like fun to me. There's a reason they made a creature creator in which you can make millions of variations of creatures to plaay with. I think it will have high replay value for me. As for the space stage... I'll try to survive that by being peaceful. Either that or I'll just keep running.

I had been casually following Spore since, what, summer of '06? It's been delayed so much I can hardly remember. Anyway, I was pretty psyched about it after watching the E3 videos back then, but since they overhauled the graphics engine in the last couple years I know I won't be getting it now since my video card isn't even supported in the requirements.

You shouldn't rely on reviews when it comes to getting a game, and you certainly shouldn't pay any attention to player reviews seeing as how thousands of people are somehow able to "review" a game a month before it even ships on sites like IGN. Not meant to be a stab at Corinthian btw :)

Well, more than the game itself, I've been interested in the development and the concepts used for it. The most notable one being, of course, procedural development. If it is looked into, it might just make the huge impact on the gaming industry, maybe as much as the change from 2D to 3D.

Imagine, every NPC having a unique, randomly generated face, every soldier in an RTS having a different face, levels and dungeons being built and adjusted as you are playing them, the possibilities are pretty much endless.

Gearbox will be using procedural generation for their upcoming title, Borderlands, which supposedly features an "endless" variety of missions, weapons, items and so on. I'm keen on more details for that one.

Of course not, Ascendant. I doubt my comments will really stop anyone from getting the game. I'm just venting my frustration at how much I feel the game was a massive overly hyped festival of mediocrity, practically identical to Fable.

Many games seems to be taking this route lately. Just expect the game to be crap from the beginning... that way the only direction you can go is up. Are you angry that you fell for the hype, or angry that the hype exists? Because the latter seems to be an entirely pointless waste of your time.

I'm a little irritated that I bought the hype, but I'm mostly just trying to enlighten people that the game is nothing to get excited about. It's not the Daikatana of it's genre, but it's definitely not the Fallout or StarCraft of it's genre, either.

I agree. But still, this is Maxis. They are known for their expansion packs, and even though it sounds greedy of them they will definitely be making some expansion packs for it.

I think they released it in this state to set up for more. Sim 2 came out small and cheap like this, but if you are willing to get the expansions the game get actually pretty damn interesting. Spore has promised a lot, and we've seen footage, news, etc of things that aren't even in the game I've noticed (like the under sea stage between cell and land).

So, currently, I'd say this is your run of the mill simulation game that has amazing charm, but little depth. If you are willing to wait and shovel out the money (or torrents), I think it'll eventually be everything we wanted it to be. Or, at least more of what it currently is.

Not a satisfying prospect, but Sims and Sims 2 sales have proven that their system works and it works damn well.

It's not the Daikatana of it's genre, but it's definitely not the Fallout or StarCraft of it's genre, either.

Spore wasn't built with the idea of it becoming the Fallout or StarCraft of its genre. Hell, it wasn't even built with the idea of conforming to a particular genre. It's not a simulation game, it's more of a God game with strategy aesthetics. I don't know where this whole Simulaiton genre debate entered the picture, neither Maxis nor Will Wright ever defined the game as a simulation game.

Spore is a different sort of game, marketed for a different sort of audience, namely the casual gamers who will try a game about creating cute creatures and playing God than shooting and racing and so on. Judge it by a particular genre or another game, and you're in for fail.

Well, if they were going for God game, they should have taken some pointers from something like, say, Black and White. Honestly, I don't know what Genre to shove it in, it sucks in all of them.

You don't shove Spore into any genre, it's just there, a video game. Mulholland Dr. couldn't be shoved into any genre either, as an example of genre-less media.

Spore ISN'T an example of genreless media, though. If you consider it properly (Because let's face it, the different stages really don't relate to each other that much) it's basically a more advanced version of Fishy, a less advanced version of Diablo, a less advanced version of any generic Real Time Tactics game, a less advanced version of Civilization, and a Trading Game meets Destroy All Humans.

Spore ISN'T an example of genreless media, though. If you consider it properly (Because let's face it, the different stages really don't relate to each other that much) it's basically a more advanced version of Fishy, a less advanced version of Diablo, a less advanced version of any generic Real Time Tactics game, a less advanced version of Civilization, and a Trading Game meets Destroy All Humans.

I see, so what genre is basically a more advanced version of Fishy, a less advanced version of Diablo, a less advanced version of any generic Real Time Tactics game, a less advanced version of Civilization, and a Trading Game meets Destroy All Humans?

Simple. As they are only loosely related in the most slender of ways, it's an Arcade Game, which completion unlocks the play of a Hack and Slash RPG, which completion of unlocks play of a Real Time Tactics game, which completion of unlocks a Real-Time Grand Strategy Game, which completion of unlocks a hybrid 4X/Action Game.

Simple. As they are only loosely related in the most slender of ways, it's an Arcade Game, which completion unlocks the play of a Hack and Slash RPG, which completion of unlocks play of a Real Time Tactics game, which completion of unlocks a Real-Time Grand Strategy Game, which completion of unlocks a hybrid 4X/Action Game.

So Spore is a themed collection of games or mini-games by that definition.

It still doesn't fit into any particular genre then, and must therefore not be judged along the lines of any genre. Who do you call it not genreless?

So Spore is a themed collection of games or mini-games by that definition.

It still doesn't fit into any particular genre then, and must therefore not be judged along the lines of any genre. Who do you call it not genreless?

I'd classify it under "dull", "boring" or something else of that nature, but seing as those aren't genres, IMO the game fits under "God Game", seeing as you control creatures and manipulate their lives and stuff.

No video game is genreless, just because it's a mix of different genres doesn't make it genreless, Corinthian is in the right here.

Indeed. And so was Pirates, and yet it wasn't genderless.

Video games don't have genders. ;)

There is no such thing as a "genreless" game, it may be heaps of different genres, and can't be classified into one genre, it's still not genreless.

Ont topic: I thought the game was very dull, boring and fairly repetitive, I completely agree with Corinthian.

Well I've only begun playing it (My parents got it for me for a great price of 30 dollars!), and I love everything up to the tribal stage already. Although it's kind of sad that I can't control my creatures as well in the tribal stage as I could in the creature stage...

I had to buy a DVD-ROM drive to replace my old CD-ROM drive to run it though, but so far it runs very smoothly and nicely...

Archived