Home

Jedi Knight after 11 years

swaaye

So, I just got done with beating Jedi Knight again. I haven't played all the way through (or gotten far in it at all) since it originally came out. I've been on a classic game run lately because of the dearth of good new titles. I also finished Dark Forces several months ago.

Anyway, while the graphics are "retro" these days, I still like the look of the game. I especially like the atmosphere and how open everything feels. LucasArts really tried to go bigger and better with everything in this game and it really shows. It's just amazing how expansive it feels at times. We don't get that in very many games today. In some ways I definitely think that this game is superior to JK2. It's certainly not worse aside from the "olden graphics" and perhaps the saber combat (it's not like JK2 has perfect saber combat either.)

I have to complain about a couple of things though. For one, the saber combat is just terrible. They really should have tried harder on that. It's not too awful for killing the helpless stormtroopers, but saber duels are just completely terrible. I also really wish they'd gone with an original soundtrack as with Dark Forces instead of the tired, heard-a-zillion-times JW soundtrack. I can't help but feel that going the Jon Williams route is just the cheaper way. They coulda skipped the goofy FMV cutscenes and paid Clint Bajakian to make some original music instead. At least they did mix it up well to enhance the atmosphere. It does loop noticeably at times though.

I'm working on JK2 again now. Going to get to Mysteries of the Sith too.

Dark Forces 2 is superior to Jedi Outcast is almost every way except graphics. However I can't really think of anything else I consider inferior. I actually like the saber combat in DF2 far more than I do in JO. I was a fairly hard-core DF2 gamer, and going from DF2 to JO it just felt incredibly sluggish compared to the fast-paced combat in DF2. The lack of combos and 'special moves' also put everyone on an even playing field, so skill was far more important in DF2 than in JO and JA.

At the time, the saber combat was awesome. And the Williams music they used in it is actually a big plus for me.

It's pretty much non-existant in stores now but up until even last year I was seeing it in jewel cases at bigger game/movie stores.

I planned ahead for this event and that's why I'm sitting on four copies.

Jedi Knight's lightsaber combat was actually pretty good for the time period. I liked JK for the solid storyline and live-action cutscenes (the only other game with live-action scenes was Rebel Assault 2, which I also have). I had just as much fun playing MotS, probably since the puzzles were more tricky and the locales looked pretty good, too

At the time, the saber combat was awesome. And the Williams music they used in it is actually a big plus for me.

Yeah I know what you mean. I remember how exciting it was back in the day because it was the first game ever to have first person saber combat. Way back then I was also a fan of the SNES Star Wars movie games because they had fun saber combat too.

And as you said, the Williams music is not really a downside that much at all. It is a major part of the feel of the game. The sound engineers did a great job mixing the various themes to make the game very atmospheric. However, Clint Bajakian did such an awesome job with Dark Forces and he was a big part of the fantastic work on TIE Fighter. I always like to hear what a new composer can do with the Star Wars themes and feel. Shadows of the Empire was great too in that way. And KOTOR 1/2, of course.

Jedi Knight's lightsaber combat was actually pretty good for the time period. I liked JK for the solid storyline and live-action cutscenes (the only other game with live-action scenes was Rebel Assault 2, which I also have). I had just as much fun playing MotS, probably since the puzzles were more tricky and the locales looked pretty good, too

Yeah some of the cutscenes are pretty good, but the actor playing Katarn is very uneven in his skills and gets pretty cheesy at times. I think the FMV does somewhat help present the story, but I also think that the way games like Half Life do it is much better. Presenting the story to the player from within the game instead of a video is dramatically more effective for maintaining immersion and making the player feel influential and in control. Not that the FMV doesn't have its own unique entertainment value, of course.

I would like to play DF2 but its soo rare and expensive for such an old game!

If you are a fan of the series, you need to get the older games. DF and DF2 led to sequels for a reason. :)

Well,i respect your opinion on the saber combat but it was the first game with a lightsaber combat system at all.I think they worked harder with the force powers since force powers can be more important then a saber.

But i never played MOTS and the story seems not the best,but MOTS story is still way better than JKA you have to admit that :lol:

Well,i respect your opinion on the saber combat but it was the first game with a lightsaber combat system at all.I think they worked harder with the force powers since force powers can be more important then a saber.

But i never played MOTS and the story seems not the best,but MOTS story is still way better than JKA you have to admit that :lol:

I agree that MotS was way better than JKA, and it's too bad you haven't played MOTS, since it's a great game. Although, I disliked the fact in one level you were timed somewhere toward the end of the level, and the last three levels I didn't like since you could only use your lightsaber against enemies that were ridiculously powerful.

Archived