Home

Kotor MMO

Saber-Scorpion

Guest DarthMaulUK

Galaxies isnt going anywhere. Infact, they are creating new, free content for the game all the time. Hoth is finally coming as well. Exciting times are ahead and frankly, although excitement levels are high, I am yet to be convinced by a new Star Wars MMO, especially if Bioware clone Warcraft - which appears to be the norm in the MMO world right now. Major YAWN!

• 2 weeks later...

Kotor is a good game... and there were so many Jedi so on the MMO it would be acceptable for thousands of Jedi to be running around, but if bioware try to clone World of Warcraft... i will not play it (well i might, coz it's Star Wars) But. KOTOR is a good era but not as good as SWG's era (The Era is the dark times, or the aftermath of Order 66, as i like to call it... or in between episode 4 and 5 ) But i know SWG wont Shut down... because it's a great game and many people would be angry E.G Me

As a New player to SWG i myself welcome the KOTOR announcement. Galaxies has been running for over 5 years and has had its day so to speak.

A new player like myself just finds the task of levelling to daunting and at times it can be overwhelming, though a new star wars mmo where we can all start out fresh and new sounds just great.

^^^

As a new player your not really in a position to say SWG has had it's day, and the leveling process is one of the many things that makes it great, you cant be a 6 hour hero, this isn't an Arcade game, you have to put some elbow grease into your character. The key is the community itself, find some like minded players (of all levels) join a guild or whatever, there are people willing to help you.

side note:Why do non MMO players and SWG haters care about the future of the game, our continuing is irrelevant, do they think that if SWG is shut down the world will be a better place? or that there fan-boy Dream game will finally be made? doubt it

^^^

As a new player your not really in a position to say SWG has had it's day, and the leveling process is one of the many things that makes it great, you cant be a 6 hour hero, this isn't an Arcade game, you have to put some elbow grease into your character. The key is the community itself, find some like minded players (of all levels) join a guild or whatever, there are people willing to help you.

side note:Why do non MMO players and SWG haters care about the future of the game, our continuing is irrelevant, do they think that if SWG is shut down the world will be a better place? or that there fan-boy Dream game will finally be made? doubt it

You missunderstand me friend.

I am a MMO veteran, its just unfortunate i did not catch onto SWG a lot sooner as i think the game is great. Yes, of course i need to put time into my character, and im willing to do so. Though you must understand for a game like SWG thats been going for so long starting out new trying to get to 90 can be a daunting task.

I hope your comments about the community are correct, and so far from what ive seen the player base is a lot more mature than lets say wow. Id actually like to see more people coming back to SWG, and after playing it i would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Finally, the new MMO must be intrigueing you even slightly.

I didn't mean to come off as an ass :)

there's just a lot of Negative talk about SWG from people who haven't played it, or have no Interest in it, which is (although irrelevant to them) somewhat hurtful to the game and it's community.

with regards to the game, I in fact played it for a while pre CU, and although I didn't play long, it didn't feel like Star Wars, then I returned in 05 and cant stop playing it hehe, there doing great things now and the servers are getting busy again.

Hmmm. KotOR MMO.. Or Star Wars: The Old Republic as it is being called, seems like it might be fun. But as for replacing SWG? It would have to have a compelling ground, crafting and SPACE game to really take everyone away. I mean there are Galaxies servers that are very much into the space game. There are many people who really enjoy the robust crafting game. The ground combat system is still engaging, even if it isn't as robust as it once was.

Personally I'm a fan of space. If I can't be a legitimate freighter captain:D providing goods to people that need them, then I'll wait til I can be.

Now if they impliment a robust smuggling system into TOR(I mean a real one, not like the pizza delivery with magically appearing "a Pirate" that SWG has) I'll be on it like a Hutt looking for profit.....

TBH, why cant the game have all those features. It already has a perfect model in SWG, listen to the current gaming community and add what everyone wants. Bang one very good game.

Alright i know it just doesnt work like that, but bioware have used the star wars franchise well before, but can they make that big step up to mmo standards ? i hope so.

Who told you that the Old republic MMO signaled the End of SWG? the new MMO is made by a different company, why would Sony shut up shop, fire there staff, if Bioware are making an MMO?

:animelol: Ummmm... I did!!! SWG was the worst possible game that ever hit the franchise. It is a complete lie and it makes a fool out of the Star Wars Sega. There's nothing even slightly or remotely cool about exploring in the game. Having all these Jedi and Sith run around and not being able to slay everyone, not only does it not make sense, but it's is not even explained how so many jedi can be around in that time period where SWG takes place. I really don't understand SWG and I would love to see KOTOR III put it to shame and make the first MMORPG since every single other one I played has sucked... I also have doubts about a KOTOR III MMO being good... : (

I've been playing MMO's since the launch of the original Everquest. I've played many MMO's over the past 9 years since. I took a break for a few years from the MMO genre but recently returned...

I've found the landscape has changed dramatically and the industry has morphed from a very cool boutique gathering of players across the globe into something approaching a Wal Mart atmosphere - yuck.

1. The success of WoW has created a vast number of players - and I gotta say i don't like the game and i don't care for most of your run'o'the mill WoW players. There seems to be an exodus of them because I run into their types all the time.

I can't tell you what a buzz kill it is to deal with them in general as a player or guild leader in this game or the other MMO I really enjoy.

2. I love LotR as well - but not as much as Galaxies. Why? Because MMO's have gotten shockingly easy! I love LotR but its real easy to level up in. When you have that kinda game mechanic you have that kind of players - people power lvling in days. This is not the kinda atmosphere I find enjoyable - these are RPGs, not a power drive to show how awesome you are in a game that is super easy to level in. Thusly, even LotR has lost my interest.

3. I love SW Galaxies because it is challenging and well developed as far as the breadth of gaming material here - space missions, ground missions, card games, and people playing the game like it was the SW version of The Sims - u can get to lvl 90 without ever being in a single fight!

I love it! And its challenging. A great game.

I hear a lotta people crying on and on all over the net about the original version and how this one sucks...

But i've always been one to just make my own decisions - to hell with opinions.

I purchased this game on launch day - but never really played significantly until now. To be honest, i prefer the new game over the skill based one. I found the skill based version frustrating.

The only downside I can think of - is that the servers are old and populated with a high ratio of lvl 90 characters. Its very difficult to get a group together, or just to find people near my level.

Other than that - i've gone ahead and sold my 360 because SW galaxies offers so much in one package and satisifies my gaming needs - to rpg, to be in a cool sci-fi world, to run ground missions, pvp, shoot guns, build houses, play a card game. I mean this game covers a lotta ground for 1 subscription fee. Plus now that i can hook up my pc to my 55" HD tv - i mean that's pure heaven baby!

I can't tell u how much money im gonna save in gaming now!

Also i like the difficulty - and because of that difficulty, certain mmo players types just won't show in SW Galaxies, Hoorah!

Im going more MMO hardcore as i mature - the only other hardcore mmo rpg out in my opinion is that ncsoft game.

So....

I'll be playing SW Galaxies until they turn off the very last sever!

:animelol: Ummmm... I did!!! SWG was the worst possible game that ever hit the franchise. It is a complete lie and it makes a fool out of the Star Wars Sega. There's nothing even slightly or remotely cool about exploring in the game. Having all these Jedi and Sith run around and not being able to slay everyone, not only does it not make sense, but it's is not even explained how so many jedi can be around in that time period where SWG takes place. I really don't understand SWG and I would love to see KOTOR III put it to shame and make the first MMORPG since every single other one I played has sucked... I also have doubts about a KOTOR III MMO being good... : (

Yo dude, you're very wrong. I'd say and lots of other people would say SWG is the best MMO and it's spelt "Saga" not Sega. and If you want to try be nasty about galaxies make your own forum called "I hate galaxies" this forum is for any1 who is wanting to play swg or is a vet or is in between... but it's not for haters

Guest DarthMaulUK

When the original concept for Galaxies came about, I am certain that Jedi didn't figure in it, and if it did, the plan was to have just a handful. However, thanks to WoW and it's dizzy numbers playing, it was decided that Jedi would bring in the players and the fees.

The cannon went straight out of the window. I would love it, if alot of the cool new features in todays Galaxies were brought into the traditional classic game. I hate having to 'level up' and having to replace stuff every other level like in most MMOs today.

Warcraft has left the MMO genre stale as companies dont want to risk breaking the mold incase their game is a flop. Warhammer Online is yet another example but they have at least taken pvp to a new level. But essentially, its a poor clone of warcraft as its so unfinished.

Who knows what the next Star Wars MMO will be like but if they take the Warcraft route, I wont be playing it.

Hi DMUK, too true, if the new KOTOR MMO is like WoW, then that'll be a bad game! But if they make it like Pre-Cu or Pre-Nge SWG in the era of KoToR... I'll love it even though i have not played Pre-2005 SWG, from my elder friends in SWG on flurry, it was great. can you send me a forum message telling me what it was like plz and I love http://www.swgalaxies.net

personally i think wow also is one of the greates games ever the worst thing i know is when people actually never played the game long enough they play for say 10 minutes and say it's crap with wow for example you have to play more then 10 minutes to understand how great it is well anyway i still like swg and if this kotor mmo looks like wow or swg it's going to be good

Guest DarthMaulUK

I've put alot of time into WOW. The reason why it is such a bad game, is because it just uninspiring. All the quests are more or less the same, the 'new' dungeons are essentially the same old dungeon from somewhere else but dressed in a different colour - and as I have already mentioned, when you level up, you need to purchase newer versions of the same weapon/armour/etc.

It wouldnt be so bad if WOW had a good crafting system, but it doesnt and compared to some of the features found in Galaxies, WOW is extremely lacking.

I really would love to turn the clock back to see how Galaxies would have faired if NGE didn't come in to play. Galaxies still has the best character creation and best crafting system bar none. The only problem is, like all MMOs, its poor content that kills these games off.

Archived