Home

[TSL] BIK Movie Mod - Telos Crash Sequence

DarthParametric

Not sure if this is feasible or not, but figured I'd ask. The sequence of 3 or 4 separate BIK movies shown back-to-back for the shuttle crash sequence on Telos has always annoyed me. I'm not exactly sure why Obsidian ever did it that way instead of as a single movie (there are much longer movies in the game, so it couldn't have been a filesize issue for the Xbox), but it's very jarring. I have no idea how the game calls movies, but I was hoping it might be possible to create a single merged movie in RAD Video Tools (I can manage that fine) and then edit the game files so that it just plays that single movie (something that is beyond me).

The BIKs in question are -

TelMov03.bik - Shuttle leaving orbital station

TelMov04.bik - Shuttle entering recovery zone

TelMov05.bik - Air defence tower guns firing

TelMov06.bik - Shuttle gets hit and crashes

Movies 04, 05 and 06 should definitely be a single file. I haven't played it for a while, so I can't recall if there is a cockpit cutscene between 03 and 04. If not, 03 should also be joined onto the beginning.

Can someone chime in with whether this is even possible, and if so, whether they are willing to do the required script/level/game editing? I can merge the movies myself. Cheers.

EDIT: Thanks to zbyl2, this mod has been made and submitted to KOTOR Files.

It is now available for download here - http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Telos_Shuttle_Crash_Movie_Fix;94444

Cool - thanks for the offer zbyl2.

I'm experimenting with RAD Video Tools at the moment. I'm trying to stop the annoying resolution change that occurs during movie playback (I'd like to shoot the genius that coded that into the Odyssey engine) by resizing all the HQ movies (1600 wide) down to the max in-game res width of 1280, as well as increasing the few original Xbox res ones that weren't included in the HQ movie patch. It's a painful process though as RAD must be the slowest video encoder known to man. Don't suppose somebody knows a quick resize trick that bypasses re-encoding like a hex edit or something?

Anyway, just started playing the game again. Once I get to the crash sequence on Telos, I'll see whether TelMov03 needs to be merged in as well or left separate. However, while I can merge the videos for my own use, I don't know if it would be exactly legal to distribute it to others or not. I suspect not, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable about such things can advise on that. Perhaps instructions on how to go about it would have to suffice.

Hrmm...well like I said, I don't know the exact status of the legality of it. I guess we can operate under the assumption that it is legal for the moment and hope that someone will advise one way or the other in the meantime.

I'll merge all 4 movies together into a single file. What do you want to call it? TelCrash.bik or something like that?

I'm trying to stop the annoying resolution change that occurs during movie playback (I'd like to shoot the genius that coded that into the Odyssey engine) by resizing all the HQ movies (1600 wide) down to the max in-game res width of 1280, as well as increasing the few original Xbox res ones that weren't included in the HQ movie patch.

That resolution change is very annoying indeed, especially with a widescreen.

The most stupid thing is that despite the fact those videos aren't letterboxed the game switches back to a 4:3 resolution to play the videos.

Unfortunately, changing the HQ 2.35:1 movies from 1600x680 to 1280x544 seems to make no difference when running the game at 1280x960. You still get the game changing resolution every time it plays a movie. Seriously annoys the hell out of me. Also, the game seems to have a hard-coded intro screen identical to Legal.bik (meaning it doesn't actually play Legal.bik at all). My guess is that it's 800x600.

Anyway, just tested zbyl2's script for the Telos crash movie and it works fine.

Archived