Home

Easter eggs, references, etc!

Thrik

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

i found a new one!!!! its in the developer walkthrough part 4. one of the car upgrades its wagon of bones and its description is "no one will think its a company car" which is a reference to one of schafer's older games Grim Fandango, which is a stunning game might i add...

ps... this is my first post =D

• 2 months later...

Little easter egg in the demo, if you take things slower than usual Eddy will quip off randomly generated dialog.

For example if you take a lot of time just avoiding the druids and not pick up the axe Eddy starts rambling on about he's best friends with the Master and that they shouldn't kill him.

A little later when you get the altar... leg... car... thing, if you randomly stop as you're going down corpse mountain Eddy starts guessing at lines of his 'evil' prayer.

Pointed this out to the staff ages ago but for everyone else here it is.

That third commentary video (Ozzy in the MotorForge) has a Motorhead reference. The car paint "Ace of Hades" is itself a reference, but the tagline "Let them know you don't wanna live forever" is even more of a clearer reference.

• 2 weeks later...
i found a new one!!!! its in the developer walkthrough part 4. one of the car upgrades its wagon of bones and its description is "no one will think its a company car" which is a reference to one of schafer's older games Grim Fandango, which is a stunning game might i add...

ps... this is my first post =D

Additionally, if you highlight it, Ozzy says "That's grim."

Heheheh.

Also, a headbanger voiced by Richard Steven Horvitz seems to be wearing Raz's goggles. He's the one that owns the death rack.

During the mission where you need to guide the tour bus through the swamps, you have to burn a rope so that an enormous razor will fall on a barricade that's blocking the bus.

If you fail to notice the rope after a while, Mangus will eventually say 'You Have to Burn the Rope!'. I think it's referencing an Indie flash game called (wait for it) 'You Have to Burn the Rope'.

I FOUND ONE! Eddie Rigg's father is named Riggnarok, which is a reference to Ragnarok. In Norse Mythology, Ragnarok is the apocalypse, and it is sometimes referred to in metal lyrics. There is also a black metal band named Ragnarok.

EDIT: there is also a GWAR album called Ragnarok.

The term "Super Effective!" appears a few times in the game, referencing Double Fine's comic series.

Kyle Gass appears, along with the suggestions that he and Jack Black's Eddie "team up" - of course a reference to their spoof metal band Tenacious D.

I might be mistaken, but I think that family of bats is meant to be the Osborne family, with Ozzy voicing (and looking like) the Dad Bat.

The bat that Ozzy voices uses song titles as answers when you try to walk in his cave without doing the mission he gives. He says "I don't wanna stop" or "I'm not going away" or "Never say die". The bat also looks like Ozzy from the mid 80's when he looked fairly obese and had long blonde glamstyle hair.

came across a funny wee thing. if ya search around the beach party and look behind the toilets there is a headbanger being sick with the other rubbin his back. they come out with some amusin lines. like 'dude i need a breathmint' lol among others

Did not realize this till I pulled up the video to show someone what I meant by Holy Diver. The Druids are a reference to the song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj7UBgVVew8

Also for the Rapers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lidJPARmp68

Rocky area outside the gate area with the anvil head that leads to Lionhead. The area seems to be reference to the Angel Witch cover

I may be wrong here, but I think this is the reference for the Ice Area is this cover. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klweUM8wj4g

Something that may be reference to someone in Deviculious' army

Found another one! The Headsplitter unit for Ironheade has a skull they mount to the back of the wagon. The skull looks similar to that of a stage prop in the beginning of the comedy movie 'This is Spinal Tap' about a fictional heavy-metal band.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone.

Right, 'The Tingler' already metioned this briefly, but I'm pretty certain that the cannoneer in the "Bring Fiery Death" sub-quests is indeed Kyle - "KG"/"Kage" - Gass; Jack's partner-in-crime in Tenacious D

preweezterror2.jpg

The Monument Viewers have a nod toward both Iron Maiden's Eddie mascot with the screwed on cranium, and The Scorpions' Blackout album cover with the forks over the eyes

iron_maiden_piece_of_mind.jpgscorpions-blackout.jpg

And finally the Fire Barons bear a striking resemblance to Rob Halford

halford-1.jpgHalford_Bike.jpg

I'm sure I've come across others but I can't bring them to mind right now.

Oh, and I feel sure that the hunter whose kill records you have to beat must be someone but I've no idea who. Why they didn't use Ted Nugent is quite beyond me. :D

Looking through the Trophies last night, a number of them seem to refer, either directly or indirectly, to various metal songs or albums. Some are blatantly obvious, others may simply be the result of my over-active imagination. ;)

Ran To The Hills

"Run To The Hills" by Iron Maiden.

Fistful Of Fog

Possibly a reference to "Fistful Of Metal", Anthrax's first album.

No More Tears

A song by Ozzy.

Practice Bloody Practice

Presumably referring to "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" by Black Sabbath

Iron Fist

A Motorhead song.

If You Want Blood, You Got It

A track by AC/DC and the title of their first live album.

A Face Like A Beast

I'm thinking this is a nod toward the W.A.S.P. track, "Animal" which is subtitled "(F**k Like A Beast)"

Painkiller

A song and the title of an album by Judas Priest.

Overkill

The obvious link would be to the Motorhead track of the same name, although there is also a thrash band called Overkill.

Anyone got any others?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived