Home

If you want Sam and Max: Freelance Police (the game) uncancelled, post here

Bad Asp!

I made this post in the hope that there are people out there who, like me, refuse to give up the seemingly impossible dream of Lucasarts coming to their senses and actually allowing that game to be worked on again. If you're one of those people, this thread is for you! Don't be afraid, people! If you want Lucasarts to uncancel the game, speak up!

Somehow, I don't think it's likely.

1. Lucasarts don't hold the licenses for Sam and Max any more

2. Telltale Games is made up of the LA staff members who quit because of it's cancellation - they now produce the games that LA clearly doesn't want to make.

3. LA's license with Steve Purcell expired in 2005, and has not been renewed.

4. There is not a single trace of Sam and Max on the LA website - they clearly have no interest in making games for it anymore.

The current Sam & Max games were born out of the crashing and burning of this game - If they were to make it, I doubt you'd find it be pretty much the same as the current series of Sam & Max games.

Also, online petitions tend not to work - they didn't work for the Jedi Knight games, or many other LA games.

I can tell it to stay canceled in your thread as much as I want and there is nothing you can do about it.

It was going to be a REALLY ****ty game, get over it.

And besides, you're being silly to want it uncanceled simply because you don't seem to understand how the licensing rights to Sam and Max work. Steve Purcell is actually the sole owner of the Sam and Max characters, which is very rare for any video game characters (only calling them that because most people were exposed to them by Hit the Road), but that all has to do with them being independent comic darlings way before the first game. This is why it's possible to make Sam and Max games at other companies, but not possible with Full Throttle or Monkey Island and the like. I really doubt any of Purcell's friends who worked on the first game or who continued to work at Lucasarts after he left are even still there, which would render it foolish to license out the rights to the rigid corporate retards that produce at Lucasarts now. The second Full Throttle sequel they were producing was going to be a disaster.

And what's with that yellow cat?! By Sam and Max law they are the only two plushy animal maniacs allowed to traipse around New York. There are no rival animals! Sure there were bigfoots in Hit the Road, but that is basically a man with lots of hair. Ask Bob Hoskins or Ron Perlman.

Just because of that feline policeman, I think somehow Steve Purcell wasn't too involved and that the people who were working on it had never read the comic, seen the show, or played the previous game.

The only merit about a game being developed by Lucasarts at that time was that they were able to get Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson back, which were the best voice actors I've ever heard for the characters. I wish Telltale could afford them, as I really don't like their voice actors, but that's okay, I understand. The guy who played Max in the show was good too, although a different more frenetic take on Max. The voice of Sam in that show was worse than the Telltale games though in my opinion.

What Sam and Max game I'd love to see uncanceled was the action game being developed by Infinite Machine, that would have been a nice approach. And the concept art for the statue of liberty, the spider woman, and the other aliens was amazing.

I can tell it to stay canceled in your thread as much as I want and there is nothing you can do about it.

It was going to be a REALLY ****ty game, get over it.

I don't know that! That's why I want it uncancelled, so I can actually find out whether it's ****ty or not.

And besides, you're being silly to want it uncanceled simply because you don't seem to understand how the licensing rights to Sam and Max work. Steve Purcell is actually the sole owner of the Sam and Max characters, which is very rare for any video game characters (only calling them that because most people were exposed to them by Hit the Road), but that all has to do with them being independent comic darlings way before the first game. This is why it's possible to make Sam and Max games at other companies, but not possible with Full Throttle or Monkey Island and the like. I really doubt any of Purcell's friends who worked on the first game or who continued to work at Lucasarts after he left are even still there, which would render it foolish to license out the rights to the rigid corporate retards that produce at Lucasarts now. The second Full Throttle sequel they were producing was going to be a disaster.

I hope those "rigid corporate retards" (who, by the way, really are rigid corporate retards) end up sharing prison cells with former Enron employees.

And what's with that yellow cat?! By Sam and Max law they are the only two plushy animal maniacs allowed to traipse around New York. There are no rival animals! Sure there were bigfoots in Hit the Road, but that is basically a man with lots of hair. Ask Bob Hoskins or Ron Perlman.

Just because of that feline policeman, I think somehow Steve Purcell wasn't too involved and that the people who were working on it had never read the comic, seen the show, or played the previous game.

You just hate that yellow cat, don't you?

The only merit about a game being developed by Lucasarts at that time was that they were able to get Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson back, which were the best voice actors I've ever heard for the characters. I wish Telltale could afford them, as I really don't like their voice actors, but that's okay, I understand. The guy who played Max in the show was good too, although a different more frenetic take on Max. The voice of Sam in that show was worse than the Telltale games though in my opinion.

Wow, I was going to say that Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson were the best voices for the characters too. I hope Telltale gets them for Season 3, because I do not want to live in a United States where Bill Farmer can't voice Sam and Nick Jameson can't voice Max.

What Sam and Max game I'd love to see uncanceled was the action game being developed by Infinite Machine, that would have been a nice approach. And the concept art for the statue of liberty, the spider woman, and the other aliens was amazing.

I hope that game makes it to store shelves along with Freelance Police, kind of a two-for-one deal, eh?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think Purcell was involved with Freelance Police at least as much as he is with the Telltale episodes. I too was rather, erm, surprised by the cat in the E3 trailer at the time, but I have to wonder if he was even going to appear in the actual game. Stemmle and Purcell were involved, so I really can't see the game having turned out to be clueless as to what the license was really about.

Based on the latest stuff we heard/saw of the game (such as those post-cancellation screenshots that looked a lot better than that trailer) all of the NPCs in the game were human, from Flint to that Sybil-looking dame to the basoonist to the weird lanky glasses guy with the black hair. (To be fair though, animal nemesis are not uncommon in Sam & Max stories, they're just not super prevalent. Mack Salmon?)

Anywho, I'm definitely among the people who say that Freelance Police should be let go considering that it's long dead and buried, but it was by all accounts shaping up to be a good game. At least, Purcell said so, and that's good enough for me. But yes, let's move the hell on, especially considering how good the Telltale games are. (And Telltale has employed most of the people who worked on Freelance Police anyway. For God's sake, Stemmle is even there now.) LucasArts isn't capable of making good adventure games anymore, Purcell wouldn't sign the rights over to them in the event that they would ever want to make a Sam & Max game (which they don't), and Telltale can't legally use any of the content from the game (eternally LEC property) anyway, so why dwell on it? Besides, if there were any story ideas from Freelance Police that were really great, Telltale could probably recycle them provided they change things up a bit, or you know, just make up new stuff like they've been doing. It's worked out fine so far.

(To be fair though, animal nemesis are not uncommon in Sam & Max stories, they're just not super prevalent. Mack Salmon?)

I equate Mack Salmon to being more like a freak of nature which are prevalent in the Sam and Max series, sort of like the squids that saved them from the pirates or the manatees which the pirates were doing unspeakable things to. Although the manatees didn't talk.

When they went to the moon that was a whole different story, but not out of the boundaries of the universe, which believe it or not Sam and Max has.

So it's okay for Sam and Max to have Christmas dinner with their fuzzy relatives but having some fat yellow talking cat in a police uniform patrolling New York City is WAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of line.

WAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Anywho, I'm definitely among the people who say that Freelance Police should be let go considering that it's long dead and buried, but it was by all accounts shaping up to be a good game. At least, Purcell said so, and that's good enough for me. But yes, let's move the hell on, especially considering how good the Telltale games are. (And Telltale has employed most of the people who worked on Freelance Police anyway. For God's sake, Stemmle is even there now.) LucasArts isn't capable of making good adventure games anymore, Purcell wouldn't sign the rights over to them in the event that they would ever want to make a Sam & Max game (which they don't), and Telltale can't legally use any of the content from the game (eternally LEC property) anyway, so why dwell on it? Besides, if there were any story ideas from Freelance Police that were really great, Telltale could probably recycle them provided they change things up a bit, or you know, just make up new stuff like they've been doing. It's worked out fine so far.

Geez, am I the only one with a frickin' backbone on this forum? :firemad: Letting it go is something I would NEVER in a million years even THINK of doing, so I think that certain people on this forum need to let go of the belief that allowing Lucasarts to get away with anything of THIS nature is what they should be doing. With all due respect, of course.

Geez, am I the only one with a frickin' backbone on this forum? :firemad:

No.

I think that certain people on this forum need to let go of the belief that allowing Lucasarts to get away with anything of THIS nature is what they should be doing.

I think you need to let go of your sense of entitlement to something that's not going to happen.

They cancelled the game around 4 years ago. You're getting angry about it now?

They're not 'getting away' with anything - it's a business, and they made a decision. They don't owe you, or anyone anything,

Just face it - they're NOT GOING TO RELEASE IT. EVER. They don't have the license to do it - just accept it.

Most of the ideas from this game probably ended up in the new ones, anyway.

I think you need to let go of your sense of entitlement to something that's not going to happen.

They cancelled the game around 4 years ago. You're getting angry about it now?

They're not 'getting away' with anything - it's a business, and they made a decision. They don't owe you, or anyone anything,

Just face it - they're NOT GOING TO RELEASE IT. EVER. They don't have the license to do it - just accept it.

Most of the ideas from this game probably ended up in the new ones, anyway.

I only have this to say:

:conspire:

Geez, am I the only one with a frickin' backbone on this forum? :firemad: Letting it go is something I would NEVER in a million years even THINK of doing, so I think that certain people on this forum need to let go of the belief that allowing Lucasarts to get away with anything of THIS nature is what they should be doing.

Well, since you're such a stalwart world-shaker and you can't seem to find any supporters, I guess you'll be booking that flight to LEC HQ tomorrow to picket their offices alone, right? That is, unless you don't have a spine. Also: we demand video footage.

If you can't accept the perfectly valid reasons why it's not going never going to be released, then i'm truly sorry - all we've done is point out why it's not going to come out.

No, all you've done is given me half-assed BS with no rhyme or reason behind it and thrown me and the game under the bus after I specifically told you not to.

No, all you've done is given me half-assed BS with no rhyme or reason behind it and thrown me and the game under the bus after I specifically told you not to.

You obviously didn't see, or bother to read my first reply:

1. Lucasarts don't hold the licenses for Sam and Max any more

2. Telltale Games is made up of the LA staff members who quit because of it's cancellation - they now produce the games that LA clearly doesn't want to make.

3. LA's license with Steve Purcell expired in 2005, and has not been renewed.

4. There is not a single trace of Sam and Max on the LA website - they clearly have no interest in making games for it anymore.

The current Sam & Max games were born out of the crashing and burning of this game - If they were to make it, I doubt you'd find it be pretty much the same as the current series of Sam & Max games.

What can we learn from this? Freelance Police will never be released.

They are, as I have said, perfectly valid reasons - if you can't reconcile those facts there's no point moaning at us - and it's three years too late to even make a difference.

Also, computer game publishers and developers tend to take these sorts of 'petitions' with a rather dim, and apathetic view.

But it's impossible for people to want it uncancelled when there exists so much hatred for this game. Look:

Where did that stupid yellow cat come from, what the hell?

I think I have an idea on how much I want this game to stay dead because of that yellow police cat.

**** THAT GOD DAMN POLICE CAT! I ****ING HATE POLICE CATS! **** THIS ****! **** LUCASARTS! **** THE BIBLE!

I do say sir, where has that yellow feline appeared from? I show my disgust, good day.

Yellow pussies? I think not. I'm so glad this game was cancelled!

I can't believe they would put a yellow police cat in this game, there are already two fuzzy policemen, this is such a conflict of interest!

SyntheticGerbil, I did not say that. I like cats, so obviously, I like that yellow police cat. You are obviously putting words in my mouth, and other posters', and you are this close to being reported if this keeps up.

Astor Kaine, those employees did not quit. Lucasarts fired them.

Udvarnoky, I know you haven't responded in a while, but I still won't let that game stay dead and buried.

You three, shame on you.:fist:

Archived