Home

Anti-Game Attorney Jack Thompson Disbarred

Astor

The well known anti-video game attorney, John 'Jack' Thompson, who has, employed, erm, questionable tactics in his efforts to discredit game publishers and developers, has today been disbarred by the Florida Bar Association.

This follows months of court cases and litigation, and is sure to result in a sigh of relief from the Games Industry.

Full Story

(I know this isn't an actual video game thread, but it is video-game related news, and something that I feel is important to share with people, but move it to wherever the mods feel necessary).

The well known anti-video game attorney, John 'Jack' Thompson, who has, employed, erm, questionable tactics in his efforts to discredit game publishers and developers, has today been disbarred by the Florida Bar Association.

And all in the kingdom rejoiced!

:elephant::sheepdanc:3pdance::monkey4::sbdance:cowdance

Now if only RIAA would get fined and disbanded... about time Thompson got some of what he deserved.

:nod:

Good! I'm fed up seeing these people trying to make their names by going after the gaming industry. Some of their points are stuff and nonsense.

Just off the top of my head...

Games are too violent - that's why they have 18 certificates.

Violence and strong language are not entertainment - someone should tell the movie industry...

Developers are warping the minds of impressionable youths - well, when you give a six-year-old a game designed and rated for 18s...

It's up to developers to make sure such material doesn't get to kids - Yeah, not really - try retailers and parents. Give your kid GTA IV, don't be surprised if a certain word slips out!:lol:

Just becareful, bad pennies, cockroaches, lice and other vermin have a way of turning up in the wrong places because of stupid people. Namely Congress. >.>

lol. that was a win of epic proportions. But on topic:

Wait a minute... he had the e-mail as 'Now the Fun Begins?" Wtf? All in the WoW Kingdom...um... let's not go into that. ;P But really...what's up with this guy???

Just becareful, bad pennies, cockroaches, lice and other vermin have a way of turning up in the wrong places because of stupid people. Namely Congress. >.>

Or the senate...

Now that's an understatement if I ever heard one. Congress.

Not just lawyers, there are activist judges too.

They have notoriety of things like:

Shoot form the hip

Nastily Threatening

Mr/mrs/miss/ms Severe

hard and heavy

--no they are not just hard judges, especially evidenced if they have to run to the media. Or rather their little team of people (probably cuz they're too nervous and jittery from all the "stuff they do behind closed doors") go to the local media. Especially their yes men who won't hear it or have any sentiment against their dearly beloved judge. No matter how reasonable.

Heres a free look into chroneism of media covering corrupt officials on a local level:

Symptoms of a yes man media figure include: fallacious reasoning, playing with semantics, hypocrisy, loaded reasoning in arguments from ignorance.

You'd expect guests' conversations with talk show hosts about said subject (these blowhard judges in this case) to be like conditional If, Then statements as responses all with protecting th judge's image and saving face in common:

IF: you or someone you know has been ruled upon unfavorably by [judge],

THEN: Youre just biased because you didn't get off unscathed

<Hang up, bitch and moan about how stupid that last caller was, next caller>

IF: you are an outside obsever and neither you nor anyone you know of has had any contact with said [judge] and don't think that it's unreasonable to ask for an investigation (especially if such a saintly [judge] has nothing to hide after all) into corruption...

THEN: Well, you ain't never had contact with this judge, so you best'a shut up now; coz you don't know; you weren't there; and you're just being judgemental!

Here's where it gets interesting:

IF: you had been ruled upon favorably by this [judge] and have set your elation aside, wishing to see an investigation (faithful or not in the [judge])

THEN: You're just an ungreatful piece of crap! How DARE you!!!

IF: like the last caller you are (possibly, possibly not) in favor of this judge but instead of calling for an investigation you simply claim this judge is great. blah blah blah maybe something about if he ever was investigated he'd pass with flying colors but *NEVER actually call for an investigation*

THEN: YES! You are a patriotic local and more people should be just like you. I mean how could you NOT love [judge]...

-------

I was using a local example primarily a radio station (covering a judge's ass--like one in question who is anti-video gaming) as an example, but TV is much the same, regardless of supposed political slant. Worse in fact. MUCH worse.

The ones in the media who are not saving face chronies usually wind up getting drowned and sued off the air, or end up disappearing...or assasinated.

• 4 weeks later...

All's I'm saying, things to watch for to see just how slimy news media is--I should know...I almost went to hollywood out of high school. To do something production related.

When it comes to accountability and investigating "someone", try things to see if the media outlet in question is protecting said individual.

If the figurehead yelps like an injured dog, then you hit a nerve. Especially if they dodge questions and get really nasty towards you. Especially the idiots in TV news, you can tell just by the way they report--and what they don't report about video games and individuals who are anti video games.

For example (fat chance--but stranger things have happened): Say you happen to stumble and catch a glimpse of some district attorney who's all mr bible thump morals and "video games are the devil" in a seedier part of town sleeping in a car with...one of those leathered ladies of the night and had a 1/4 oz of...some kind of "chalk" in his possession, dressed himself like his hostess.

And you weren't the only one to catch him... Someone else beat you to the punch.

Now he runs to the media. But which one? Find the one with the most to say about the guy. Now you can poke and prod and have all sorts of fun and see just how much you can piss the news channel off.

I'm fed off of that kind of anger and hatred sometimes--It's just so much fun to make an ass out of someone and raise the blood pressure of the producers.

Who knows--you might give mr anti-video-game-knows-everything-distric-attorney a brain annurism. (Did I spell that correctly?) To know you are getting the best of all the despicables.

Archived