Home

wondering why kotor is so great..

hellhawk

i bought it a little while ago and i played it for about 1/2 hour until i got bored. i tried agian and died. i really wanna know reasons why people like it? then agian, i only played it for a combined 45 minutes.

The plotline, originality, randomness, humor, mods. Sometimes in that order

I think mainly because of the mods. People love kotor for various reasons and not just one.

Anyway is this the proper place to put this? Shouldn't this be in the k1 area?

Agreed... moving. -RH

I too hated KotOR when I first played it (because I HATE the D20 system and WotC with a passion) but I kept at it and the story got me hooked. And then after playing through it I started modding it and that sucked my life away! :lol:

I give Bioware props for that, making a game I liked from an RPG system I despised.

But even with all that some people don't like RPG games, different things attract different players.

There's nothing great about the JK series (since 2 of the three games sucked). Dark Forces 2 is the only one really worth playing since it has a great, interesting, and fairly unique story (unlike its predecessors which apparently left their creativity at the door -- not to mention I don't like how they turned the protagonist into a George Lucas clone). DF2 is definitely worth playing, though, if you can still find a copy of it. I would go as far as to say it also has the longest campaign of the three.

I agree with Inyri. Dark Forces 2 was a great game and the best of the series. However I wouldn't disregard the other 2 games. As both of them were alright in their own way (JO had a moderately good plotline while Jedi Academy has a moderately good Multiplayer).

I believe that the Jedi Knight series captures players because you play as a jedi, but in a first person perspective. Different from Republic Commando which only featured high tech guns. Plus all of the Dark Forces series and Jedi Knight series are moddable. So you get hundreds of more hours of gameplay

I believe that Jedi Outcast had the best storyline out of the series and that Jedi Academy had the most fun gameplay. While I used to think that Jedi Knight's story was the best, looking back now it seems sort of cliche and corny; which makes me think that it was most likely my youthful mind that made me think that back then.

However, Jedi Knight is still my favorite out of the series, and it is dear to my heart. It just has a wholesomeness that the later games lack.

Hellhawk, I think I know why the game hasn't pulled you in yet:

i bought it a little while ago and i played it for about 1/2 hour...

That's why. :D

I've been playing Jedi Outcast lately...still on the third level...but it hasn't really been that interesting. Seriously, if I ever get my hands around Kyle's throat, I'll strangle him for throwing away his lightsaber AND his Force Powers!

The lore about Kyle getting rid of his Jedi ties is slightly complicated. At the end of Mysteries of the sith Kyle fears about turning to the darkside fully (Play the game to understand) so he gives up his force powers and lightsabers so he cannot be corrupted. Jedi Outcast is one of those games that starts out very slow and then gets more faced paced and fun as it goes along. Similar to Kotor in many ways

It's just preference. Me? I want to know what's so great about the JK series.

Umm...could anybody answer that while answering his question????

I agree. I have no idea why people think that JK is an awesome game. I personally don't think that it is...

Well, K2 was actually my first RPG. I have to say that I enjoyed the game. Yes, my first game took me like 30 hrs. to complete (this is over a period of time ;)), but I really did enjoy the game. About two months after getting K2, I bought K1 and absolutely loved the game. Yeah, things were a little bit different, but there was so much to the game. I loved all (well most if you think about it :xp: ) of the characters. I felt that the story was just so rich. The missions were fun, the dilogue, IMO, was great. After playing the game a couple of times, you pick up on things that you originally missed on your first playthrough.

My advice to you is to give the game some more time. You haven't even seen anything yet. You are still on Taris doing the dirtywork. You know nothing much about the characters. Just give it some more time.

Or, I regret to say this (:xp: ) K1 just doesn't float your boat.

LOL when I first played kotor, I thought it's from JK series ROFLOLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

So here it goes: cool main menu, nice build up character, nice intro movie, then when the cutscene is done, I was clicking to find out moves and combos... Then I saw a crosshair thats following my mouse... Then I started walking around... and I was: "ah rpg screw it not funny!"

Then out of curiosity I started playing "for 5 minutes" that ended up in being 10 hours! LOL!

It simply grabbed me and sucked me in!

People who didn't play Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II when it first came out in 1997, I'd imaging would have a hard time taking the series seriously now. Jedi Knight was just great, and there's really no way to put it into words. It just had a certain... spirit to it that was unlike anything else before or after. As for the later games in the series, I'd say it's probably simply due to their being continuations of the first game we loved so much.

Yeah, it's not that great of a series, but it's just dear to many people's hearts. You won't understand if you weren't an avid follower from the beginning, really.

i bought ja a couple years ago after being enamored by it at a friends place. i thought it was the best game on earth. now i hate it. why? because for a long time it was the only proper game i had.(dont ask:lol:) ive lost count of how many times ive played it. i know a lot of the games innards, and every level is forever burnt in my head.:Open2:

i suppose if i was ever imprisoned, or lost on a desert island with nothing to do, i could probably "play" jedi academy in my head.:p

i also dont like it because of the plot. compared to JO, storywise, JA was terrible.

got a few mods a while later. i nowplay multiplayer online sometimes on my new computers with all graphics totally maxed out. and i ONLY play single player with a ladder mod i got (which happened to be the first mod i ever got for ja).

but it would be great to play DF and MotS! but its rare and id have to fork out the price of a new game to get it! :(

what made me love kotor was the whole experience. i loved the feel of the game and really got into it! the dialogues, and most of all THE STORY!!

i loved kotor and then on the leviathan :drop2:

the story, the dialogue, the experience, the *everything*! was so awesome!

i was already a sw fan at this point... and kotor was like giving steroids to a rancor. now, its died down a bit tho. havnt played them in a while. and havnt seen the films in ages.

Yeh K2 misses an atmosphere that K1 had. I think that if I would've played k2 first, like most people do, I wouldn't want to play k1 so much as I wanted to play k2 after I played k1.

I like the mode the games brings you in it, more then how k2 brings you in it.

Yeah hope the mmo and the k3 (if any) will make that right!

AGAIN: KOTOR SERIES THE BEST! PLAY IT MORE AND YOU WILL BE IN LOVE WITH IT!!!

Yeah, Jedi Academy is not the best installment to introduce a person to the series, JGOS. Great gameplay, but lame story. One should at least try Jedi Outcast first; or even better, the original Jedi Knight (though, unfortunately, you won't get that awe-inspiring feel that us veterans got back in 1997 as it's a pretty old game now); or if you really want to go back to the roots, Dark Forces (same deal as the other game, though).

Why am I still talking about Jedi Knight?

Anyway, yes, KOTOR is amazing. I don't know how anyone can play this game for a half a freaking hour knowing what type of game it is and how long people generally devote to it, and say, "Well, I can't really see why everyone says this game is so great." I mean, who doesn't know better than that? Really?

i bought it a little while ago and i played it for about 1/2 hour until i got bored. i tried agian and died. i really wanna know reasons why people like it? then agian, i only played it for a combined 45 minutes.

Oh this is sad, but it happens, not everyone enjoys RPGs, they like action! Republic Commando or Battlefront might be better choices for ya.

• 4 months later...

wondering why kotor is so great..

It was the first official Star Wars roleplaying console game to exist. It brought players back to the 1980s, and then threw them into a modernized extension of the old trilogy. Playing the game for 45 minutes doesn't expose you to the good stuff. Get yourself past Taris, and then you will see what people are talking about. Taris can be a drag sometimes. Each location has its own fans; thus, variety of locations also pulls you into the game. Several side-quests and mini-stories are hidden, and you can literally find something new during every playthrough. Its has a large scale {epic} storyline that is surounded with a tapestry of extensions. Main story revelation is wonderfully crafted; thus, setting the bar for storytelling pretty high.

Kashyyyk - You feel as if your walking in the Ewok Village of RotJ.

Mannan - Cloud City on the water.

Dantooine - Its filled with beautiful landscapes, and how great is it to... :D

Korriban - I don't think words can describe the excitement of this place.

Taris - Is slightly muted. It gets you to push through for the exciting stuff.

Star Forge - Massive. Impressive.

Tatooine - You can literally find a place to hang out at every turn.

Unknown World - Slightly boring at the start; however, it picks up as things progress.

Yavin IV Space Station - Its a small hang out in the sky.

Talking about the game has brought up the need to install it again. I will wait just a little longer until I hit the roof, and then I will play it again. :D

Sweet monkeyballs. Necrotic powers at work here...

Anyways, Kotor took every single 'zomg' element from the prequel and original trilogy and fused them together into a new story.

A nice, familar ship with a Wookiee, comic relief from droids, fighting against a cyborg-Sith. It's all there.

Archived