51 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Atris?

• I love her to bits!
    • I love her!
    • She's cool.
    • meh. Couldnt care less
    • She's lame.
    • I hate her!
    • I hate her so much, i could CUT her to bits!
    • Yoda...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor Atris doesn't get any lurve;p Don't get me wrong, she got on my nerves, but I think she was well-written, and one of the most tragic characters. She was in denial about her feelings for the exile (whether female or male--sisterly/romantic?) and I think that she really did want to follow the exile to war, but couldn't bring herself to. Plus the cutscene with Kreia and her was brilliant.

Ahem. Anyway, my :twocents: worth.

I think I'm the only insane mortal here to say that I like her. A lot. Well, personally I like woman with face like Atris. Looks cute when serious :). I like women with "sophisticated and wise" voice :).And Atris is a historian, not librarian. I was very sad when I knew that the canon TSL was female Exile, not male Exile. I think she is the hottest among girls in KOTOR 1 and 2 :D. Well, it's my opinion, anyway. But I always up for a debate about Atris :).

Looks cute when serious :). I think she is the hottest among girls in KOTOR 1 and 2 :D. Well, it's my opinion, anyway. But I always up for a debate about Atris :).

Umm...:barf:

But in all seriousness, everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I agree with Bee Hoon. Atris was a well written, overall good character. She was one of the more complex ones too. I just did not like her at all.

She looks cooler in the concept art then she ever does in the game. I thought, oh, she'll be the Bastila of K2...but no, she turned out to be an old fusspot. :¬:

~HOP

She looks cooler in the concept art then she ever does in the game. I thought, oh, she'll be the Bastila of K2...but no, she turned out to be an old fusspot. :¬:

~HOP

When I saw the concept art, I thought she'd be an awesome character. I even thought she'd be part of the crew, but no. No. She turned out to be possibly the most annoying character in the whole game!

Yeah her character was done well, but we all have our favourites and least favourites. ;)

I guess she was important to the game, but that doesn't change my mind about how annoying she was lol.

I don't judge characters from Concept Arts. I judge them by how well written they are and how complex they are. And I like Atris. I don't love her, but I think she's a good character.

She is very well written, and very complex next to The Exile and Kriea. I think they succeed with Atris. With her past with the Exile, and her ties to the Dark Side.

I voted ''She's cool.'' option.

She's demonized in my fic "Shrouded in Darkness" She'll be fairly pleasant in "Prior to Exile."

I hate the character and show it prominently, but it is for good reason. She was just too dedicated to the Jedi beliefs that she came to despise everything that contradicted her. I hate her more than Vrook because he at least had something to back his arrogance... Atris is just ignorant and pitiful.

Exactly. Her reasoning was always "because the council said so" or something of the like. She just imitates Vrook without getting Vrook's knowledge. While I don't care for Vrook, I respect him a lot more than Atris.

And no, I don't judge characters from the concept art, but before the game actually comes out we don't have much else to go on. Maybe in the original plan of the game when Atris was to be a party member (if LS) she was more...tolerable. She would have to be, as she was originally a love interest for the male Exile. - Probably the only thing I will never complain about Obsidion cutting out. :xp:

Yeah, good character but still hate her. Still, she is a good source to hate on... there are so many people like her in real life. Act like they know everything when really they don't know squat.

@Endorenna: Exactly. :)

~HOP

I found it strange just how fixed she was on her beliefs. I could understand why she would hate the Exile, but why could she have been so obsessed with power that no one in the Council would notice that she had fallen long before she sold them out on Katarr. That was why I hated her so much... because she actively betrayed the jedi and thought she was still following their ways herself.

With the council, it appeared that she was fairly submissive to their demands, and was even harsher on the exile then them. She seemed to hold the others in the highest esteem. She even admits that she thought the exile was right in the hearing, but let the others easily change her mind.

When the council split up she started to feel more important. She was "the keeper of the holocrons." She thought she was the last true jedi, the one who would save the jedi order (How she would do this from her icehole, I have no idea). So in that way she thought "I'm the last jedi, sole hope, blah blah blah. Since she was supposedly the last, then her beliefs and the beliefs of the order were one and the same.

As to Katarr...no clue. Perhaps since she thought the exile was right in the hearing, she realized the council was not infalable as she once thought, because they cast the exile out. She started to beleive that since she was 1) on the council, and 2) the only one on the council who at the time thought that the exile should not be exiled than she must have the best judgment.

I don't know, just a theory.

~HOP

she had fallen long before she sold them out on Katarr

First of all, Atris didn't "sell the Jedi out" at Katarr. She was trying to draw their enemy (Nihilus) out so they could kill it. Granted, it was improper for her to not tell anyone else about her real plans, but aside from that there was nothing improper in the execution of said plan, except for the fact that it didn't work (which was unforeseeable). In spite of this, you keep talking about it like she deliberately got them all killed just to be a bitch.

Second, do you have any evidence that Atris was a Dark Jedi (or whatever) at any point before TSL other than the fact that she speaks somewhat rudely when talking to the Exile at the trial?

Basically, it implies that she fell waaaay before that conversation. I seem to recall that the Handmaiden mentions going on missions to obtain holocrons. And we know that Atris has tons of Sith holocrons. I imagine that it would take time to amass such a collection. My guess would be that the exile's decision to go to war was the beginning of her fall. By the time we encounter her on Telos, she was pretty manipulative--e.g. leaking the exile's information so that she could use the exile to draw out the Sith.

Anyhoo, just my :twocents:! :angel:

I don't think that's reason enough to hate her. First, you're not the Council and second, that just adds another layer of depht to her character.

It makes her a better character, I don't think anyone denies that - but it certainly makes her less likeable, and therefore more hateable (I fairly sure that is not a word, but whatever)

I would think betraying all of your supposed friends, many of whom died as a result (Vandar) and then still adamently saying you are right is a good enough reason to hate someone. I believe the poll question was "what do you think of Atris?" - this can mean "do you like her or not?" or it can mean "how good of a character is she?" So I think her character idea gets an A. I do not like her at all.

What does not being the council have to do with it? Nobody here is on the council as it's fictional.

@TK-001: You bring up a good point :shades2:, but why would Atris do her own thing without telling anyone about her real plan, especially when the people whom she is not telling are risking their lives for the original plan? That definatly suggests an alterior motive. I'm not saying that this actually proves she was a dark jedi at this point, but it's possible evidence.

Also, her speaking rudely about the exile at the trial does not suggest that she is dark at all IMO. Perhaps self centered and close minded, but if being rude to the exile was a characteristic of the darkside, almost everyone would be a sith. :xp: I think Katarr is evidence, as I have previously stated. Also, the gathering of the holocrons is highly suspicious - perhaps they are what turned her, enslaving her in dark power. Why would this supposed do-gooder go through so much trouble to collect them? Just to put them on shelves while they collect dust? Somehow I don't think so...

Please note that I am not trying to be obnoxious with my arguements. If they come off that way I'm sorry. Honestly I think both of you have made good points...that I just happen to disagree with. :)

~HOP

I mean, we are talking about a lady that doesn't let her 6 (or something) 'slaves' do anything but practice their martial arts on each other. There is something wrong with that...

Well, there's an explanation for that in-game. The fact that she is a manipulative witch don't change much of my opinion about her. I mean, Kreia is no different on that sense and we don't see many people openly hating her.

I think that she is pretty lame.

I mean, we are talking about a lady that doesn't let her 6 (or something) 'slaves' do anything but practice their martial arts on each other. There is something wrong with that...

Well the reason was telling the Handmaidens how important their fighting skills were, and how being trained to use the force would flaw their perfection. Hmmph...she claimed she wanted to rebuild the jedi order - she had at least one (Brianna), possibly 6 force sensitives and went out of her way not to train them. Hypocrital much? :xp:

~HOP

I don't think that's reason enough to hate her. First, you're not the Council and second, that just adds another layer of depht to her character.

its all made to be part of the experience! the same way you'd love your favorite character, you hate some other ones. ;)

Why would this supposed do-gooder go through so much trouble to collect them? Just to put them on shelves while they collect dust? Somehow I don't think so...

IMO its very 'hapennable' :xp: the lure of learning things that may give you an edge for things, stuff your old masters wouldnt want you to learn, but stuff that you can easily get and they'd never know... you obtain a holocron, and learn from it. you feel great: you just learnt stuff that very few people know. (you just became special, a cut above the rest). that holocron you got referred to another one, perhaps by the same person, continuing topics covered in the first one. so you get that one as well and it just so happens that another one came along with it, so you check that one out too...

soon enough you have heaps. one of them requires you slip into a dark trance, something that you feel uncomfortable with, but have always wondered what it feels like... and its for a good cause, you tell yourself. as that last of the jedi, its *imperative* that you stay alive, and this just increases your chances of surviving. it feels sick, but fascinating... you try it again a while later, and this time to dont hold back... and its feels *exilerating!* soon you try all sorts of different things like it, and that sick feeling that you got when you started is a distant memory...

so it would be with her principles. like the trances in the above example, they would slowly be compromised, like a pedestal being chipped away at the sides, until all thats left is a small pole with a platform on it where she stands. she looks down, and the platform she's on looks the same as always has... she thinks its all ok, until as it is in the game, a 'wind' brings it crumbling to the ground, and out of the rubble comes a new person... essentially the same, but with dark robes with a head thing that looks like it was designed by the same blind rodian who designed the sith trooper uniforms...

(wow, that was uber metaphorical. i feel *eloquent*.)

Archived