Home

Just noticed about saber combat...

Ok so first off i love this game, it looks amazing and is so well done in most aspects apart from the shocking out of sync sound which happens so often especially in cutscenes.

I just started to notice on my second play through how bad parts of the lightsabre fights are.

I mean characters get hit on the legs, get their legs swept from under them and no cuts AT ALL!!

There are a few examples i can think off, the fight with the girl with the sabres which look like police battons, she slides under your legs and sweeps your legs with the sabres... Vaders fight you hit his leg to knock it out from under him and it doesnt even come off. They are basically sticks not light sabres, and the one main thing that they do is chop stuff surgically :p

What i dont understand is i dont think making the sabres cut would have made that much of a difference age wise would it? They were PG in england and had blood, so why not have legs coming off without blood in game. I guess this has been discussed before but just wondered what everyone thinks of the finished product of lightsabre fights and if its a bit pointless looking in the end.

I think thats my idea in the final play through, it doesnt really feel so gritty, i get the feeling no one really dies in the game lol. Definately no one loses a limb.

They were trying to shoot for a T rating. If they added blood, it would shoot up to Mature, which meant 90% of the kids here would have to have their moms or dads pay for it, which would suck.

No offense to anyone.

I would love if it had blood, but since lightsabers suchure the wound as soon as it touches, there might be a small spray- but nothing gory. I would like the fact that as the enemy dies (from, say, 3 slices) a part of the arm slides off, or maybe their helmet get cut up and exposes half of their face beneath.

Active combat damage would have been a huge plus- kind of like in the fight with Vader when his armor starts coming apart; that would be awesome if implemented to the stormies and the AT-ST's you fight.

EDIT:: An explanation: Maybe the sabers were toned down? You know, like youngling's training sabers- they tone down the power output so it doesn't slice their arm off if they slip up. It's a long shot, but one of the best "canon" explanations why the sabers don't take off body parts.

Yeah, dismemberment would have been welcome, for sure, but not blood. In-universe recurring things, such as cauterized lightsaber dismemberment would be fine, but blood would just be too much of a departure from that Star Wars feel. Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy both had this and still made it under a T-rating.

Sandalf: That wouldn't necessarily be the case. The dismemberment could simply occur once the enemy's health bar has been depleted.

This is why I hope they eventually cave in and bring it to the PC: so that modders can implement things like this.

Yeah, the combat sucks, I agree. But for differtent reasons. I didn't missed dismemberment that much.

This has been disgussed many times already. Yes, there is no dismemberment in the game, for gameplay reasons.

Would be pretty boring, in my opinion, if every single enemy would die from a single lightsaber stroke.

Three blows or less and a common enemy on Ninja Gaiden 2 loses a limb, or worse. And they keep fighthing without a leg or an arm, or both. So it was viable from that point of view.

Lightsabers don't cause blood, they seal the wound.

Congratulations, you realized there's no dismemberment, doesn't mean the lightsabers fights suck, just the lightsaber itself.

Well Ponda Baba's severed arm was all bloody after his unfortunate encounter with Obi-Wan at the Chalmun's Cantina.

The lack of dismemberment in the game doesn't bother me that much, although it would've been more than welcome.

Vaders fight you hit his leg to knock it out from under him and it doesnt even come off.

Actually, that can be explained by the fact that Vader's armor is resistant to lightsaber strikes in some spots, as seen in Episode V where Luke hits him in the shoulder without cutting very far in.

As for the main topic, would it be improper for me to suggest that somebody set up a lightsaber realism megathread so we don't get a new discussion about this every week?

Archived