Home

Vista Fix

stevenw9

I noticed that the StartOJPEnhanced.bat file does not work with Vista 64-bit.

Because of this, I am providing a fix which is really simple to those who are decent with command lines, but is rather difficult for those who aren't this computer literate.

Firstly, open notepad as administrator.

Hit the open button and navigate to Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData.

Once there, open StartOJPEnhanced.bat. Replace the text with this (Provided by Nizwiz):

cd %~d0%~p0

start jamp.exe +set fs_game ojpenhanced

Save.

BAM, the file will now work properly.

How on earth did that '(x86)' get in your Program Files folder name? Windows Vista doesn't do that, it uses the standard 'Program Files' designation....

It's 64 bit Vista specific: the "Program Files(x86)" folder is where 32 bit applications are stores as opposed to "Program Files" for 64 bit applications. I guess when programs are started from the x86 location, Vista enters some compatibility mode or something, but I'm not sure.

BTW, I'd suggest this fix instead:

cd %~d0%~p0
start jamp.exe +set fs_game ojpenhanced 

The magic symbols "%~d0%~p0" are expanded by the shell to the folder the batch file is stored in, so you gotta put it into your GameData folder (and then create a shortcut to your Desktop/Program Menu/QuickStart Menu/whatever).

It's 64 bit Vista specific: the "Program Files(x86)" folder is where 32 bit applications are stores as opposed to "Program Files" for 64 bit applications. I guess when programs are started from the x86 location, Vista enters some compatibility mode or something, but I'm not sure.
Oh yeah, I forgot there's a reason I haven't upgraded to 64-bit yet.

It does way too much pointless stuff and not enough productive stuff to make the extra expenses worthwhile for... well... anyone. :¬:

You need 64 bit as soon as you have more than 3 gigs of RAM (32 bits can address up to 4 GB nominally, but because of a well-known limitation of 32 bit Windows, nearly 1 GB of the address space is wasted on other things, so 3.x GB tops). And there are gaming rigs (not including my comp BTW) that have 8 gigs of RAM, which doesn't sound too oversized, now, does it? (Well, I'd say no more oversized than 1.5 gigs of video RAM, Kouen ;)).

• 6 months later...

Archived