Home

Bunch of new suggestions for OJP

UDM

I kinda got bored this one day, so I've got a new list of ideas for OJP (one of which is a win idea imo)

- Rechargeable armor

It seems to me that armor is practically useless in OJP. A saber hack will cut off most, if not all, of your armor easily if you're low on DP (so whatever percentage of armor that you have is superficial). Furthermore, with armor being so scarce, this advantage that mercs have isn't really very helpful at the end of the day

So the solution? Let armor recharge on its own, slowly but surely. I propose armor recharges at a rate of 1 point every 2-3 seconds, so that mercs don't quickly gain the upper hand, but after a fight they're still allowed to "heal up" the armor, especially in maps with fewer armor drops

It also offers an opposing side to the Jedi, who can force heal. It's not fair that Jedi can force heal, but not mercs

- Console feedback for inventory item respawning

I haven't played the latest version of OJP, so I don't know if inventory respawning is in yet, but if it is, this should be a helpful feature. Let's say I'm a merc and I have a forcefield in my inventory. It takes 1 min 30 seconds to respawn. Upon using it, the counter ticks, and when it respawns back in my inventory, I get a message informing me that the forcefield is back. For example:

"Forcefield can be used again."

or "XXX-item can be used again"

And now the idea that I'm pretty excited to see in the game:

- Dual wielding saber + pistol

Saber on the left hand, pistol on the right. Stance is the dual wield one. Primary attack uses saber, sec attack uses pistol (so no kick or secondary fire for pistol). You know the rest. I have a feeling that merc hybrids will use this a lot

Well on hindsight I think you two are right. The dual wield thing can be a bit tacky. But I think rechargeable needs to be in to make armor at least more useful than what it currently is. Right now armor isn't something you'd go to great lengths to get

Also added another idea to the list

- Slow walking mode/speed selection

Slow walking mode: A walking mode that's even slower than the current walk function. This one is slow enough so that you can't even see your character moving unless you look really hard. Saber fights look more KOTOR-like, but that's not the point. It helps to promote fights on smaller areas like ledges, without you falling off just to parry an attack coming from the side. To differ it from the normal walking mode, benefit involves less DP lost when hit, but you don't inflict as much DP damage as well

Speed selection: Just like how games such as Rainbow Six, Call of Duty and SWAT let you cycle through available "firing positions", so does this idea allow you to cycle through different speeds. I made the HUD shaped in such a way so that if anyone wants to implement this feature in, it will not look out of place like an afterthought.

I don't think we need recharging armor. I don't think armor is very effective in Star Wars. It doesn't seem to do anything vs blasters or lightsabers.

As for movement speeds, I don't think it's a horrible idea, but I think it might be over-complicating things. People are having a hard enough time understanding the saber combat system as is.

It's not that armor doesn't do anything, it's that it's always crappily implemented in just about any game these days, and almost never realistically.

Just about the only thing in SW that can negate armor is a lightsaber (unless the armor is made of cortosis, of course). While blasters may generate projectiles of contained energy, they are still kinetic weapons for the most part, thus armor would dampen or outright neutralise their impact (dependant on the effectiveness of the weapon and armor).

I'm gonna waddle off and think of some ideas for a newer armor system y'all could look at, then I'll pitch them to you tomorrow or something.

As for movement speeds, I don't think it's a horrible idea, but I think it might be over-complicating things. People are having a hard enough time understanding the saber combat system as is.

The slow-est movement speed thing won't over-complicate. It's going to be quite self explanatory - press just one button to cycle through available movement modes - unlike the complex "step this way to riposte, do this do that to parry" moves

I don't know. The saber mechanics still baffle people as is, now they will also have to worry about movement speed to? I guess it could be optional like quick parry which almost no one uses because almost no one even knows what it does. Just a thought. *cough*change the ataru to have the same dfa format as Juyo just replacing the spin attack with the twirling one*cough*

I kind of like the slow/none movement speed idea. It would be handy for those wanting to replicate KOTOR and to avoid edges of falls. The trade off would be that people who move about would be able to use terrain more advantageously. Also the person who was stationary would have to worry about being shot or sabered in the back by opponents they couldn't dodge.

Would it be better to make the stand still button its own bind that toggles movement on/off, or to make a speed cycle key? Along the lines of stop/walk/run?

If it would work like quickparry, then I'm all for the slower movement style.

Not too sure about the extra DP ''benefit'' & DP dmg penalty though.

As for the armor, I almost never play as a gunner and when I do I wouldn't really know how much armor actually affects your life.

The inventory messaging is nice, would be perfect if it would show up in the topleft corner like those messages from CTF (or where-ever they appear, the small ones.)

I made some effects that'll hopefully make it easier for players to learn how to fight, autodidact style.

Basically, I made two different sets of indicator effects; one set of sparks turns red for a split second, the other set turns blue, and they will appear based on whether your saber parry was a success or not.

There's only about 3 or 4 sparks in question that are actually spawned, and they shift from their designated color to their default yellow fairly quickly, so a trained eye will probably not even notice them.

How's that for parry-indication?

Sarah Palin posted:

Palin regaled the cheering crowd with a story about how she was reading her Starbucks mocha cup yesterday, which featured a quotation from former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright.

“Now she said it, I didn’t,” Palin said of Albright. “She said, ‘There’s a place in Hell reserved for women who don’t support other women.’”

The crowd roared its approval, but according to several sources, Albright actually said, “there’s a special place in hell for women who don’t help other women.”

There's only about 3 or 4 sparks in question that are actually spawned, and they shift from their designated color to their default yellow fairly quickly, so a trained eye will probably not even notice them.

How's that for parry-indication?

Sounds good, ut we're going to have to see how it works in practice. :)

Archived