Home

Does anyone care? I could use a hand...

TheJoe

Hi, you may remember me from the ScummVM forums under the embarrasing and old name of "iPwnzorz". Yes, I was once 12.

Anyway, I've used ScummSpeaks to add speech to Monkey Island 2........

And I need actors. I need people that want to put their voice into this fan project - MI2 Speech. I'm going for the whole thing. Every single line will have voice!

I'm currently focussing on Scabb Island in Part One and I need a Guybrush, give me a Guybrush! I'm looking for something Dominicesque or something else that might just fit him. But anything's good.

"Wow! This is great, I want to be a part of this GREAT ENDEAVOUR?! Where do I sign"

Well e-mail me like a bitch with a .ogg (details below for newbs) with a single sentence from a character. Call it anything. Just make sure it's a .ogg and mention in the e-mail who it's meant to be, and I'll see if I like it. If I do, I'll let you in on the project, the payment is knowing the Secret of Monkey Island (seriously, I have a pretty amazing theory about this). Ok forget that.

I already have a Wally and I already have a Bart (I'm the latter) but I need all the rest. I'll have some kind of website somewhere set up to host all this. But for now:

Current Status

HALTED! See site for details.

The Cast and Crew

The Tech Heads

Joe Davison (TheJoe) - Project Lead

Laurence Dougal Myers (jestar_jokin) - Technician, Sound Editor

Justin Franklin - Guybrush, LeChuck

Nojan Samimi (Milkman08) - Bernard the Cook

Laurence Dougal Myers - Fink

Igor Hardy - The Bloody Lip Bartender

EDIT: WHOOPS! Forgot .ogg details

Ok you newbies who know nothing about recording in .ogg: Do a quick Google for "Audacity" and wind up on something like audacity.sourceforge.net or something silly like that.

Install it, obviously.

Record your line then choose File - Export as .ogg

There, done. Now get on with it.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Threepwood: I know :p I was tired

jp-30: I wish it was

Ascovel: Get submitting if you think you could make it, or even if you can't.

Anyway I have an action plan. I'll be working by islands first of all, starting with Scabb and then Booty and then Phatt and so on. After I have at least 20% of each island done, including all of Guybrush's lines on that island, I'll start work on the cutscenes. After all that's done, I continue the islands and then work on Guybrush's examines, readings and whatnot.

Since I made that discovery a bit late I'll be focussing on MI2 first.

MI1 speech was a big surprise, but it will ONLY work on the CD version, IE: the MI2 lookalike version. I pretty much fell off my seat when I found it.

The other problem is that the dialogue in MI1 is laid out completely different to MI2, in the MI2 dialogue, each area has it's own chunks wheras MI1 has it all over the place, so I'd need to look though it and find what's what. Is that Guybrush? Is that an object, a debug message? I don't even know how jestar discovered them all for MI2!

But yeah, MI1 speech is a long way off. It's possible, I just don't have the savvy to sift through it all.

'Tis true. Just listened to Justin Franklin in the Beneath Monkey Island radio thing and he's very very good!

Maybe there's a minor role I could take... I can't even remember which characters are featured in Part 1 of MI2...?

EDIT: Just booted it up: There's, of course, Largo LaGrande. A tricky one, I think. Then there's lots of minor characters (the bar tender, woodsmith, hotel clerk) which are also difficult to imagine how they should sound. Marty should sound like some wild west lunatic in my opinion, but I don't think I could do that voice. I always imagined Wally to have a very Disneyesque sweet voice (younger sounding than in MI3).

Hmmm. Oh well. Good luck!

We have:

The Bartender

The Cook (Potential actor already found)

Mad Marty

Bart and Fink

The Hotel Registrar

Largo

The Voodoo Lady

Low Moral Fibre Pirates (Potential actor found for No.1)

Captain Dread

And I think that's it for part one.

We have a Bernard the Cook! Now compiling scripts for Justin as Guybrush.

All scripts will be available when I get some kind of website set up. This will include an internal channel-paradoxumgroggomatic for actors to get together and trade lines and crap. And a forum.

But I really don't want to spend any money right now.

Oh and guys, if you want to fulfil my birthday dream (it's on Tuesday), I wish for an Elaine. I had an audition or two but they weren't quite right. So someone give me my Elaine! I won't even release a Beta or a demo without one!

Archived