Home

It's obvious isn't it? Time travel!

TheJoe

The Secret is a mahoosive time-paradoxummahadamawotsit in the belly of the Monkey. Or something.

Think about it, the Carnival at the end of MI2, the hissing from the alley and LeChuck seeing Guybrush as a problem, the speed at which Stan can talk! (ok this isn't exactly part of the whole thing, it just needs a mention).

Point 1: The Carnival

The Carnival looks oddly like Booty Island. Maybe this is because Guybrush has gone to the past somehow and is in fact a perfectly modern person who likes Pirates. Booty Island after many years of partying became an island carnival.

Point 2: The Hissing

Go to MI2, and go to the alley. You can hiss out of it (I forget exactly how) as Guybrush is technically on Monkey Island at this time, he could be affected by the paradox and is therefore able to hiss at himself. And notice how Fester isn't there in the first game? He's busy fighting Guybrush isn't he?

Point 3: Guybrush is a Problem

LeChuck knows that Guybrush is a problem because he's gone back in time. So has LeChuck. LeChuck and Guybrush being brothers and all, and their mother telling LeChuck to hunt him down, perhaps LeChuck was meant to stop time ripping apart or something.

Point 4: The Voodoo Lady

We don't know exactly why the Voodoo Lady is ALWAYS there, perhaps she is actually trying to return Guybrush to the future or acting as a "Guardian of Time". No one else actually even mentions her apart from Wally. So maybe the "forces of good" are allowed to see her or shizz.

Point 5: Why the hell is Guybrush on Melee?

Again, Guybrush just appears on Melee just like that. We don't know how, and he doesn't know how.

Point 6: The Grog Machine

The Grog Machine is part of the paradox, it was caught up in it. Notice how it's in the Dinky tunnels, all broken up? If it was broken by Guybrush landing in it in the past then in the future it will be broken.

Heh.

Sounds plausible... I think you're probably pretty close to the actual secret. Email Ron. If you come back all disappointed saying he told you it wasn't true we'll know you've been paid to lie. If you come back all happy saying he told you it was true we'll know it's true! We can't lose!

• 4 weeks later...
Though if this is true, then the question is, how do Guybrush and LeChuck travel in time?

I would have thought this was obvious: The treasure of Big Whoop/the underground tunnels.

I for one LOVE this time travel theory. Here's my assortment of ideas.

The voodoo lady knows what Big Whoop is and that Guybrush is from the future, as she can foresee the future. She knows he doesn't belong, so instructs him to find Big Whoop, to send.

LeChuck (as Chuckie) followed Guybrush through the tunnels because his parents sent him to find Guybrush. He came out in the past as an adult, before Guybrush got there. Unlike Guybrush, he initially doesn't want to be a pirate, but then realises the power he could gain from it, and he becomes the most dreaded pirate on the seas.

Guybrush suffers memory loss as a result of going back in time, but LeChuck doesn't. Ironically, LeChuck acts more piratey than Guybrush.

When Guybrush is killing zombie LeChuck, LeChuck gives up his charade to save his own life, and then remembers his parents' instructions, to find Guybrush.

The original expedition that found Big Whoop, the portal to the future, realised the implications of their discovery, and that's why they didn't want anyone to know about it, tearing up the map.

Guybrush makes references to modern ideas that other pirates don't understand, and he doesn't know where these ideas came from, eg. "I don't know why I said that".

In a way, the e-ticket sort of is Big Whoop, as it is a link to the future.

Guybrush can't drink grog in the first game, because he had been a kid, and had never drunk it before.

There are probably more connections I can think of...

The "I don't know why..." bit. This theory doesn't apply to 3 or 4, as they're not Gilbert creations.

But that all sounds quite sensible.

I was referring to the line at the end of MI1, where you can say "never pay more than [whatever it was] for a videogame"

However, to completely go back on my last post, my idea of what the ending of MI2 was is that "they wake up and it was all a dream... or was it?" sort of ending, so I like this time travel theory for it's entertainment value, and that it fits with a lot of things, but my thoughts on the actual ending are that Big Whoop has the power to create alternate realities, aka, the theme park. I think the carnival ending was LeChuck's backup plan/curse (as Elaine makes reference to).

P.S. Is anyone buying the MI3 'Big Whoop was on Monkey Island' explanation? It doesn't work for me.

Archived