Home

2 New Lightsabers for K1?

temps90

Please would a talented gracious soul make these two design concepts, I have tried so many times and failed so many times lol. I would like both sabers to be upgradeable or replace the green and yellow saber with either one.

warriorms1.jpg

consularbf5.jpg

Thankyou to who ever decides to fulfill my model request. :)

I've had a crack at the second one. Tried to keep it relatively low poly (at least compared to what I usually model), but high enough to try and give it some curvature. I'd probably cull the recessed rings on the bottom half of the saber though and just do them as a texture. That would cut out a fair few polys. Here's a pic (with some quickie textures thrown on just as a test) -

saber01cr3.th.jpg

It was modelled in C4D. GMax is a godawful pig of a program which I can't seem to get my head around, so if someone else is willing to do the conversion into a game mesh for you I'm happy to provide them with what I've done.

Both look fantastic DP :D

If you use the low poly version, you can fake the recesses with a beveling effect on the skin itself (since the hand will cover it most of the time). But the 838 poly design shouldn't cause any game-stopping stuttering (unless there's alot of them on the screen at one time :lol: ). 3 person party all dual-wielding one of them "might" have a slowing effect, but depending on the vid card, I wouldn't foresee any probs. I used dual-wielding 3 party with USM often, and that's about the same range poly-wise we used.

Again though, really nice work there :thumbsup:

If you use the low poly version, you can fake the recesses with a beveling effect on the skin itself (since the hand will cover it most of the time).
Yeah that was my thought as well. I personally stopped bothering with hilt mods as the details are all but unnoticeable. I doubt you'd spot the difference in-game between actual geometry and a decent texture.

On the subject of polys, I should mention that C4D uses quads but exporting it to GMax presents a problem in that whatever format you try and use to get it in there ends up triangulating the mesh. Not sure if there is a workaround for that. Does GMax have some sort of untriangulate function?

Does GMax have some sort of untriangulate function?

Gmax, doubtful.. but I'm not even sure 3dsMAX has it either to be honest (haven't checked). Unfortunately the MAX suites relies heavily on tri's (and polys).. of course I'm using v7 as reference. Since MAX is up to v10 now.. not sure if they've gone quad or not :giveup:

That saber looks amazing, wish I could model like that lol. I did look on random sabers and thats what gave me the inspiration to design them, I did try modelling but failed miserably lol. Can you send me the saber please (after it is converted lol), it is so good, thankyou so so much :-)

Hrmm...well T7nowhere's "A-Z of Modeling a new Lightsaber" tutorial shows that GMax can handle quads (it calls them n-gons - in C4D n-gons are polygons with 5 or more sides). Just doesn't seem to be able to import them. The 3DS format has always been limited to tris I know, but OBJ will handle quads. It seems GMax triangulates any mesh in an OBJ though when importing via one of those MaxScript importers - perhaps it's the script doing it?

Regardless, looks like the meshes get triangulated when they are exported as MDLs anyway. Guess it will have to be the reduced poly version of that saber then. 1600-odd polys for the triangulated mesh of the original version would be way too dense.

With a bit of texture trickery you won't even notice the difference in-game.

texturedringsas1.th.jpg

Now all you need is someone to do the conversion into a game-usable MDL for you. GMax is too arcane for me to figure out. If someone wants to do it then they can PM me and I'll send them the OBJ and texture (and the OBJ import MaxScript if needed).

Archived