Home

LF Is Sporting Pop-Up Ads Now? WTF!

Q

While I understand the need for ads to pay for these forums, I think that annoying pop-ups that seem to bypass every blocker that I have installed are a bit too much. :swear:

I know, I know: I should use Firefox. The problem is that I am stuck using dialup and my accelerator does not support Firefox, and these forums are slow enough as it is with my connection.

Can something please be done about this?

Nobody wants pop-ups on these forums — and there shouldn't be any — so if you can provide information about exactly which advertiser was in them it'd be appreciated.

That said, I've never seen any pop-ups and I visit these forums all the time, I use Firefox, and I have no ad-blocking software of any kind. Has anyone else experienced them?

The only site I can recall seeing those horrid ads that circumvent Firefox's default pop-up blocking is IMDB.

Nobody wants pop-ups on these forums — and there shouldn't be any — so if you can provide information about exactly which advertiser was in them it'd be appreciated.

That said, I've never seen any pop-ups and I visit these forums all the time, I use Firefox, and I have no ad-blocking software of any kind. Has anyone else experienced them?

The only site I can recall seeing those horrid ads that circumvent Firefox's default pop-up blocking is IMDB.

I've never (in my four years of LF) received a pop-up.

I used to use IE, long ago, but now I use Firefox. I also have no ad-blocker at all.

I think it's just malware on his end.

_EW_

I performed a full-system malware scan before I started this thread using fully updated versions of:

Avira AntiVir Personal

Ad-Aware

Spybot Search & Destroy

SUPERAntiSpyware

Windows Defender (yes, I know that WD is practically worthless, but I use it anyway :p)

They found nothing, BTW.

I did find out that these pop-ups are Flash-based and that I hadn't enabled SpywareBlaster's IE Flash killer after recently reinstalling Windows, so problem solved. :)

These Flash pop-ups occured during page loads only here at LF, and nowhere else.

Archived