Home

The Wait is Over...

Tomak Ta-Zak

I refuse to believe it is an MMO... yet. We all know that they would chose money over pleasing the fans but this is different almost. I mean they would be putting their best gaming series to risk by making an MMO yah an MMO off of a game that is almost the opposite of an MMO. Plus some of you have said that it is indeed a KotOR MMO that has been rumored for years and K3 that has been dreamed of... You are very very wrong. It is the exact opposite. There has been many times where news has come out about a possible K3 and people have only, only thought of a KotOR MMO when they were being stupid and wondering what would a KotOR MMO be like which tranlates as What would SWG be like if it was set durring the time of the Jedi Civil War or the Mandalorian War.

In fact they might be making both K3 and a KotOR MMO at once other developers are doing it. Sega is making Aliens: Colonial Marines with Gear Box and an ALIEN-RPG with Obisidian.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I confess to being completely apathetic.

"apathy is death!" :lol:

Well who knows, they might spring a seperate KOTOR single player game on us if we turn up on George Lucas' doorstep and say we will shine his shoes if his game company makes us a game

If this is anything like galaxies...i'm gonna go beserk with rage

I think we all will.

more like torches and pitchforks!. angry mob, anyone?

This stuff?? It looks like Knights' style of artwork.

God, dont let any of those old guys be revan or carth... :freakout:

or anyone from k1/2!!

I just had to sign up to this site after reading this thread :p. Seems like a pretty good site too, so I might post here more.

Anyhow...

I can guarantee you that the announcement is for KoToR: Online.

John Riccitiello (big boss at EA) actually confirmed that Bioware Austin was working on a KoToR MMO a while back.

http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/the-tech-observer/2008/07/17/ea-to-play-in-knights-of-the-old-republic

The invites that you are all talking about for the October "revealing" were given to numerous gaming websites...

... one site in particular would have no need to go if it wasn't an MMO. As the website http://www.massively.com got an invite and they are an MMO only oriented news site.

http://www.massively.com/2008/10/07/check-out-our-bioware-lucasarts-announcement-invite/

There would be no need for a BIG gathering just to announce another KoToR single player game... that's what E3,PAX etc are for. Honestly, think about it. In an MMO you actually have a vast amount of content you can present, while in a single player game you want to keep most things on the down low outside of basic game play and graphic engine elements.

I myself wouldn't mind both... I want a KoToR 3 to explain what happened to Revan etc. If a MMO wants to come after to lead people on whatever fine by me. What Blizzard did to the Warcraft 3 story line still gets me ill. They turned Illidan and Arthas into jokes. I'd hate to see the same happen in the KoToR universe. How many of you want to see a bunch of HK-47's running around shouting "MEAT BAG." Personally I'd like Obsidian to release a patch finishing KoToR 2 for us but that's never going to happen. At least Team Gizka is working on that.

My big issue with MMO's is the time requirement. I was actually a Guild Master in the MMORPG WoW, I led a top US guild and cleared Sunwell. Hell I played the game for three years. However, now I am finishing up my final year of college and going to be getting a job in the dun dun dun game/film industry. I've quit MMO's as I don't have the time to commit to them. To be honest I don't know why I ever gave WoW so much of my time in to first place... It was probably just my competitive side getting the best of me.

You can argue the time thing all you want too, however it's the nature of an MMO. They are built to make you addicted. They add things to encourage the obsessive compulsive or completists, such as numerous stats, bars and achievements. If I made an MMO I would make it as addictive as possible... because once you lose interest you lose subscribers. Once that happens, people who still have interest see their friends leaving or feel alone and quit themselves. You have to make it addictive and you have to ensure strong social networks are created to bind people to your game. MMO's will always reward those with the most time to devote to them... always. There may be periods for others to catch up... very very slowly. But time = first to glory and leaders in power for MMO's.

The biggest issue with am MMO is if you want to be the best then you have to devote the most time. You have to level fast, you have to raid. In WoW you have an option of just doing Arena's... but that's so boring after a while. How long can someone enjoy doing a 2v2, 3v3 or 5v5 over and over and over again before it's lost all fun? It lost it for me that's for sure. But still, you have to devote time to standing around BG's for gear etc + PvE gear is always an advantage in a few slots in particular for each class. (I use WoW for most of the comparisons in this post)

All of this said. There are many people who are content just playing a game casual even if they are not the "best" in terms of placement, gear etc. Everyone is different. Others find a way to make the time to do it. I know plenty of people with jobs who raided. They just worked all day, came home, played WoW 6+ hours, slept... repeat. MMO's are an escape for a lot of people and even their "social life." It makes sense to reward those who spend the most effort with the best stuff. Just as you should in real life. But again, it's still a drawback.

In the end, it all really depends on how the game is made. If they turn it into a cartoonish game with 2 bars of abilities you smash just like in WoW and WAR it's going to get boring fast due to originality. I don't want to see WoW with some Star Wars skins. "Ok Jedi Guardian Steve! go in there and tank the Rancor while the Jedi Consular Ashley heals"... please not that PLEASE. The MMO world needs something fresh. Star Wars Galaxies actually had something interesting growing when it started out however it completely failed as time went on... especially the NGE. If they can actually make a real world based in the Old Republic, where you participate and grow with world that could be fun. They need to develop seamless worlds, with a SUPERB story and NPC interaction similar to KoToR. It must thrive on decision making of individuals and support individuals for it to carry the KoToR spirit... You should be able to make decisions that affect your allegiance... I could go on forever so I'll stop.

That said, it could very well be just an MMORPG in the KoToR Universe with absolutly nothing to do with the games to any grand extent. The sad truth though is most games are now trying to copy the WoW formula (AoC and WAR) and for the most part people are saying... why should I leave my friends to play something similar??? I had a ton of friends get WAR and almost all of them went back to WoW because they wanted to stay where they were comfortable socially. WAR is just WoW with more PvP and AoC was just a pile of crap. This game MUST be different and it MUST pull it off well or it will just be another SWG.

Anyway.........

Yeah it's KoToR: Online... maybe they will shock the world and reveal two KoToR games rather than the one hinted in the invitation?

I just hope the MMO doesn't suck.

Maybe its both and they have been working on since the release of K2. I mean imagine a game that is a fully developed SPRPG and a MMORPG. And I believe a few things stil back me up that it is just an SPRPG or both.

1. The Pictures look totally SP (I dont mean graphically) they dont look like they could fit any MMO area.

2. It says Rummored about for *YEARS*

KotOR online has been rumored about since Galaxies released the CU, and ramped up when they released NGE...

What would be really cool is if they did a SP game that led into the MMO. So that if you don't want to play the MMO, you can still play the SP side of it. Of course there should be benefits to playing the MMO side you can't get playing the SP side...

Maybe you can only gain 20 levels in SP, but 60-100 on the MMO side. That way you can't get some of the powers unless you do the MMO.

It would actually be possible to release an MMO on consoles now. See with newer voice tech(already in Galaxies) you don't need to have chat nearly as much. Of course I kinda liked how Galaxies used to have languages that you had to learn... Wookies were only understood by smugglers(I think, I only ever played as a pistoleer/smuggler haha)

God, I haven't posted in this forum for must be going on 3 years or more, but I saw this announcement and got pretty excited yet still a bit suspicious. We've all been waiting for a long time and I don't know about you all, but I've gotten excited about too many rumors in the past.

Anyway, the way I see it they have three choices of format on what to release. They can release an single player game. I think after so long a wait they would make a lot of noise about a sp release, however, like a previous poster stated they wouldn't have invited a mmo news service to their grand announcement if this was so.

Secondly, they could release a mmo. An mmo wouldn't need to be all that bad. We could find out what happened to Revan and the Exile and the rest of that stuff. Mmo's do follow story lines. The problem is the story lines are set in stone until they release an expansion. Then that's set in stone. The structure of the game is what it is. Quite frankly, the structure basically is the same for any rpg type game. Gather stuff, kill things, do quests. I'm not sure you can really do anything else with an rpg type game online or sp. Mmo's just try to get you to do some of it in groups and be social. And there's a reason why WoW (which I play now and have been playing for about two years) is so popular and why other franchises are doing mmo's (including a Star Trek one I am looking forward to). People like them and they make money because people like them. WoW is on top right now because it's the most engaging. Some game will topple it eventually. Different game engine, different story line, but still the same formula...quest, gather, kill. Personally, I don't see how you would really marry up an mmo and an sp. I suppose it could be done, but I don't think it could be done well.

The third option might be the most interesting. A single player game that finishes the story line with a tool box to mod persistent worlds on private servers a la Neverwinter Nights (which I played for a long time also, sp and online), which was based on the KOTOR engine in the first place. They didn't allow persistent world creation with KOTOR because LA is so damn proprietary with their property it ain't funny. I swear they're worse than Disney sometimes. But, you never know it is a possibility and one that I would really prefer for the KOTOR franchise.

Anyway, that's my take on it right now. We'll just have to wait until the announcement for the reality of what they're going to offer up.

I haven't played the multiplayer option in GTA IV (yet:D), but everything I have heard points to it being good fun. Now, I can say that the single player game was great.

If KotOR would adopt that kind of setup, I would absolutely buy it.

I wouldnt mind just one whole Game with not really an MMO side but a very large co-op side where you can fight a friend play the SP with them see other players doing other quests that are related to SP but they don affect you unless you join them and an SP side where it is just normal KotOR but that would be kind of hard and get boring which is why I would LOVE if they made KotOR 3 and KotOR MMO separately.

Interesting that you seem to make the assumption that this MMORPG will be made available on the Xbox 360 platform when so few MMORPG's have made it to the consoles.

I tend to agree with your assumption though. Even though it never happened LucasArts wanted to bring SWG to the original Xbox. I think that LucasArts and BioWare will want to make this game available on PS 3 and Xbox 360 in addition to PC. Guess we'll just have to wait and see if they're going to make consoles happen this time around. ;)

I see this happening. In fact, do not be surprised if the game is ONLY released for the consoles. The latest game from LA, The Force Unleashed, is the most profound, giant "phuck you" to PC gamers, the globe over. You cannot expect me to believe the less-than-stellar, BS excuse of graphic detail and hardware issues are what made the game unsuitable for the PC. Game companies are no longer out for both the fans, and the profit- they are simply out for profit now. The fans are no longer a factor.

EA assimilating Bioware is just one of many things that scares me about the possible future of KOTOR.

You and me both, Sharrak. You. and. me. both. The latest debacle from EA (referring to Spore and SecuRom, and the related class-action lawsuit against them) have me very wary of anything EA touches.

At present, I see myself getting the KOTOR MMO. I am not really a fan of MMOs, but I do play Guild Wars, and am pretty satisfied with it. There are only 2 factors that would prevent me from getting the game:

• The game itself not being released on the PC - I REFUSE to go buy a new console, just to play a single game, which is why I will never own The Force Unleashed
  • A monthly fee. Why do you think Guild Wars is immensely popular? There is no bogus, and quite frankly, outlandish, monthly fee. Once again, I REFUSE to spend money on the game itself, broadband internet to play the game, and THEN a monthly fee. I'm sorry- I do not live with Mommy and Daddy who can pay my fees for me. I am not Bill Gates. I have bills- and I really can't be bothered to re-arrange my monthly budget, just to play a video game.

That said, I would jump at this game, if neither of those conditions are present. It might suck, but I would still give it a try. After all, it is a Star Wars game, and it is a KOTOR based game. It deserves a look, at least.

The game itself not being released on the PC - I REFUSE to go buy a new console, just to play a single game, which is why I will never own The Force Unleashed

Too bad. You're missin' out on one heck of a game!

I do not live with Mommy and Daddy who can pay my fees for me.

Just so you know, there are plenty of us kids out here who give Mommy and Daddy the money to pay for the MMO. ;)

Just wondering... shouldn't the title on the card be 'The wait begins'..... No matter which game they announce on october 21st it's going to be so hyped up waiting for it will be pure hell. When do you guys realistically see this game being released? If it's the MMO i'm thinking end of 2009/ beginning of 2010 since they have been working on it for ages. SP is anybody's guess i suppose.

Anyways.... the wait will be horrible..... :¬:

Honestly, don't expect a KOTOR III soon...

LucasArts, have been really dumb in the last couple of years. First, they decide to rush KOTOR II, and then next they cancel the development of KOTOR III, and then replace KOTOR III with this bloody MMORPG.

If there going into MMO territory, then that means they want big money. This already happened to a popular game series. War Craft. There hasn't been any news on the real follow up to War Craft III, and thus it has been replaced with a MMO.

KOTOR II, ended with a cliff hanger. Lots of fans wanted a KOTOR III, LucasArts had to be dumb, and make a KOTOR MMO. I hope this MMO fails, then LucasArts will have no choice then to make a KOTOR III in there desperate attempts to get attention.

God, sometimes people just don't THINK. If it isn't their way then "I'm taking my ball, and I'm going home."

#1 I don't want a money grubbing MMO...why the heck do you think MMO's make money like that? MMO's are a good game format. People like them. If they didn't, MMO's would've already gone the way of the dodo bird.

#2 A KOTOR MMO should be free to play online. What do you think the monthly fees are for? There for staff to provide bug fixes, new content, rebalancing, patches, expansions, etc etc. Sure they provide some profit, but without a monthly fee you won't get half of that.

#3 KOTOR MMO should fail, then they will have to make a KOTOR III. Nope, if this MMO isn't popular you will find the end of the franchise, I think. If this KOTOR MMO is done poorly you will find that it doesn't last very long, but I seriously doubt you will see any more of the KOTOR franchise.

#4 KOTOR MMO is a dumb idea. It's only a dumb idea if it's executed poorly. A well done MMO is liable to be a big hit, make them lots of money, and be popular for years to come. Just because you want what you want doesn't make an MMO a dumb idea. That's only YOUR opinion. If you don't want to play a KOTOR MMO, then don't. The devs won't shed a tear over you're not playing. There will be plenty of business for them as long as they turn out a quality game.

I'll only be interested in a Kotor online if it's free to play online. This paying a monthly fee is a complete scam and everyone knows it.

This is LucasArts we're talking about. They'll use any excuse they possibly can to squeeze people for money, knowing full well people will pay it.

#2 A KOTOR MMO should be free to play online. What do you think the monthly fees are for? There for staff to provide bug fixes, new content, rebalancing, patches, expansions, etc etc. Sure they provide some profit, but without a monthly fee you won't get half of that.

Well, considering that Guild Wars is stable and popular enough to warrant 3 expansions(or is it 4 now?) and a sequel, and has NO monthly fee, the idea that you have to pay monthly to play is BS put out by Blizzard.

Also consider that there are thousands of free WoW servers all across the net, people give them money, why? Not because they're told to, but because they provide a FREE and stable service, and some extras. They don't treat their players like open wallets.

We get all that with single player games without paying for them.

Well, considering that Guild Wars is stable and popular enough to warrant 3 expansions(or is it 4 now?) and a sequel, and has NO monthly fee, the idea that you have to pay monthly to play is BS put out by Blizzard.

Also consider that there are thousands of free WoW servers all across the net, people give them money, why? Not because they're told to, but because they provide a FREE and stable service, and some extras. They don't treat their players like open wallets.

Guild Wars is a good game, but not great. If they were all that they'd have unseated WoW as the most popular MMO out there, because I will grant you that no one WANTS to pay a monthly fee. I certainly don't want to, but obviously that monthly fee is providing something that keeps people playing and getting new customers in.

Those "free" WoW servers are illegal. Are they stable? Yes, of course. They stole the game content, code, and all the work that the monthly fees provide for including new content, bug fixes, and everything else. And they have to keep stealing to keep up with Blizzard.

There is no way the mmo will be free of monthly charge. Let's use WoW as an example. How do you think Blizz pays for 200+ servers in the US alone with thousands of players on each realm? I get that Guild Wars is also very populated and does not have a monthly fee. I commend them for being able to be a success without needing a monthly fee. But they are the exception to the standard. Every other major mmo has charged a monthly fee and I do not think that it is excessive. When you consider how much time you get out of an mmo compared to a regular videogame even if it has online or multiplayer, it doesn't compare. Most games these days cost $60 and have less than 20 hours of gameplay, not even a day's worth. My WoW play time is at 60 days, way more time than I have ever put into any other game, and I know many players with much higher play times. I can see if you are a casual player you might not want to put that much time into a game, but when you look at how much content mmos offer (that charge a monthly fee), they are really not designed for casual gamers.

Anyways I didn't mean for it to turn into a rant :p but I just think it's silly for people to expect the game to be free to play. Hell I'd love for it to be free, I wouldn't have to choose between it and WoW, but I just don't see that being the case.

#3 KOTOR MMO should fail, then they will have to make a KOTOR III. Nope, if this MMO isn't popular you will find the end of the franchise, I think. If this KOTOR MMO is done poorly you will find that it doesn't last very long, but I seriously doubt you will see any more of the KOTOR franchise.

First off, why waste lots of money on a stupid MMO?! First, they have to finish the game series with a KOTOR III. Then they can make a bloody MMO. Instead we get only one KOTOR game and that's this stupid MMO! We should get two games. KOTOR III, and the MMO to please both fans.

We get all that with single player games without paying for them.

Yeah! Exactly! The MMO is just a excuse for them to squeeze money out of there fans. Why bother paying 100$ a year when you can just buy a single player game and don't at all.

So in other words, KOTOR MMO=Epic Failure!

Archived