Home

The Wait is Over...

Tomak Ta-Zak

The MMO is just a excuse for them to squeeze money out of there [sic] fans.

HK-50.jpg

Query: Oh, you mean like every other game that has ever been produced?

Why bother paying 100$ a year when you can just buy a single player game and don't at all.

So in other words, KOTOR MMO=Epic Failure!

Recitation: It's an asseveration which I take very seriously that tells one to not judge the quality of a game that nobody has played before it is known to exist.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

never expected the people on this forum to be so biased and immature about this whole MMO thing. Think of what it could do for the KoToR timeline if it becomes a hit. Obviously we all want to know what happens after KoToR II, but you can't judge the content and story the MMO might contain. Bioware gave several interviews about their coming MMO and they stated they wanted to make a unique story where players felt they were important and have a unique experience. Where leveling was not entirely based on how many hours you spend grinding.

Basically, give the game a ****ing chance before you get all angry emo nerd on it's ass....

Like a lot of you, I for one would prefer a straight single-player KOTOR III, but I'm not totally against a good MMO as long as it is not executed poorly like fresnosmokey addressed.

It would be icing on the cake if there were no monthly fee, but I'm a realist and know those odds aren't very likely. I can only hope that the fee will be within reason, or else I may not get the chance to play. :(

Hmm. A lot of people on here seem to think that there should be no fee to play the new KOTOR MMO. Well, earlier this year, I was looking into getting Galaxies, 'cause I was playing the trial and loved it. During my search to dig up all sorts of information about all the little aspects of it to see if it was worth the money, I found a very interesting article that ya'll might be interested in. :)

Star Wars Galaxies: Why Pay For An MMORPG?

So, after the game comes out, we can all decide whether or not we can fit the price into our budgets.

PS: Until the game actually comes out, we can't say whether or not it'll be a failure. ;) Also, a lot of people seem to be upset over the fact that this isn't K3. Could I please point out that this isn't a death knell for all our hopes of a K3 coming out sometime in the future? Personally, I'm looking forward to this MMO and K3. :D

Guild Wars is a good game, but not great. If they were all that they'd have unseated WoW as the most popular MMO out there, because I will grant you that no one WANTS to pay a monthly fee. I certainly don't want to, but obviously that monthly fee is providing something that keeps people playing and getting new customers in.

WoW is more popular for several more obvious reasons.

1: races. We here agree that Kotor is more fun when you can choose to be non-human. Guild Wars may have different "kinds" of people, but they're all just people in funny clothing.

2: colorful. Bright and colorful attract people much easier than GW's realism.

3: age bracket. Who's playing WoW? Oh yeah, mostly people 18 and younger. yeah, not everyone, but the game does not cater to adults.

4: simplistic playstyle. Having played both, WoW is far and beyond the easier of the two to play.

Those "free" WoW servers are illegal. Are they stable? Yes, of course. They stole the game content, code, and all the work that the monthly fees provide for including new content, bug fixes, and everything else. And they have to keep stealing to keep up with Blizzard.

They're only illegial when Blizzard decides to do something about them. So far, Blizzard hasn't. Because they're a great way to get players into the game without feeling obligated to play 'cause you give them your money and only have a limited amount of time till you have to do it again.

Think of what it could do for the KoToR timeline if it becomes a hit.

Let me guess, "Eye Pwn Joo" would become a canon jedi/sith name? Or maybe Ob Gyn Kenobi would be the first to find *mystical artifact* in the kotor universe? Oh yeah, that did a LOT of good for the Star Wars universe

I'm telling you, the premise is sound- a game where you can meet up with friends, go trample some Sith Lords, and wield glow sticks of doom. I just think that since they have chosen this path, they should stick to the template that ANET has laid out- Guild Wars 2 will replace WoW when it comes out, because it will offer everything WoW offers, with better storyline, and still free of charge. What makes Guild Wars so popular, aside from having no monthly fee, is you are able to follow a story line, and do it by yourself. Aside from towns and outposts, everything is instanced. You don't HAVE to meet up with anyone for the game to be completed. Now, there are missions, etc, where you will more than likely need help from other human players, but those are for the more experienced gamers.

At any rate, the monthly fee does help cover the costs of the game, true enough. However, if marketed correctly, and if the game doesn't suck Rancor balls, then the initial earnings will be more than enough to pay for the game, and properly line the pockets of the developers. ANET has proven this, for the last 3 years. 5,000,000 strong is a pretty good indicator that, as the 3rd largest MMO ever, not having a monthly fee does not deter from the game content and further development.

Oh, and you can bet ANET has made more than enough profit from the Guild Wars franchise. LucasArts does not have to be greedy in order to both appease gamers, and make a nice bit of change.

Query: Why does everyone accuse Lucasarts of being greedy when they're just asking for a little in return for all the great games they make?

all the great games they make

great games

they make

Webcomic_xkcd_-_Wikipedian_protester.png

Because in general, they don't make great games. Almost all of the good games in the Star Wars license that have been produced in the last few years have been made by other companies, not them.

Because in general, they don't make great games. Almost all of the good games in the Star Wars license that have been produced in the last few years have been made by other companies, not them.

Still, they need to get paid something for these games because they license them.

Hmm, here's something I'm curious about. If the other companies make the games, who decides how much they cost, Lucasarts or the other company?

Hopefully its not the rumored MMO but the anticipated KOTOR 3 (although the teaser image looks like a MMO)

At this point, that teaser image isn't really a good indicator of anything. It could be the MMO or KOTOR III, or even a surprise unannounced game for all we know. (although I highly doubt the latter.)

At this point' date=' that teaser image isn't really a good indicator of anything. It could be the MMO or KOTOR III, or even a surprise unannounced game for all we know. (although I highly doubt the latter.)[/quote']

Mwah.

"The wait is over"

I don't think millions of fans have been waiting for Lucasarts to create a new part in the 'my little pony' game series.

Seems only a handful of options are available here, with Kotor (let's face it) being the most obvious one.

Plus, if it would be a surprise announcement with this teaser screen, it means LucasArts uses Kotors popularity to boost it. Which would be stupid. And get fans pissed.

Still, they need to get paid something for these games because they license them.

Hmm, here's something I'm curious about. If the other companies make the games, who decides how much they cost, Lucasarts or the other company?

LucasArts since they are the ones funding the project.

Oh, I am all about the company making its money. To fund the game, a set amount of money is put up, which pays for development, salaries for the developers, marketing and promotion, and so on. And the pay-off for this comes from the game sales, after the fact. So, of course, the company is looking to recover its funds, and get some profit as well. That's fine. Make your money- just do not be greedy about it.

ok let's face it. The style of the art on the invite and the style of the letters indicate this has to be something KoToR related. Bioware has stated on several occasions that they are NOT working on KoToR III. Have they ever denied working on a KoToR MMO, no... not ever.

Do the math :xp:

LucasArts since they are the ones funding the project.

Thank you for telling me, Ara. :) I've wondered about that for several months now.

Make your money- just do not be greedy about it.

I have yet to figure out why they're so greedy. :) Somehow I doubt you're going to comvince me that they are, and somehow I doubt that I'm going to convince you they aren't, so I suggest we end this debate.

Back on topic: Yea, this has to be KOTOR related. Read above post. ;)

ok let's face it. The style of the art on the invite and the style of the letters indicate this has to be something KoToR related. Bioware has stated on several occasions that they are NOT working on KoToR III. Have they ever denied working on a KoToR MMO, no... not ever.

Do the math :xp:

And? People lie...

I still refuse to believe either... I am still fully hoping for K3 and than a GOOD KotOR MMO afterwards. And about the whole MMOs make more money well we all know that anything branded with Lucas___ pays George Lucas some how or another and I know George Lucas is smart man who will probably want the best so that he also comes out good. And like before people lie look at the whole Gears of War 2 thing everyone was constantly asking about and soon enough here we have GoW2 and look at Halo we were bugging about Halo 4 (LOL YAH RIGHT) and they said they had projects for a Marathon series but now we are getting a Halo 3 expansion pack. Companies lie and who knows maybe LucasArts is instead of just making a Star Wars version of every game out there they are going to make something not done yet maybe K3 will include a multiplayer mode so big and entertaining they are asking for MMO groups to come check it out.

Archived