Home

The Wait is Over...

Tomak Ta-Zak

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh, unless the game really strikes me as playable 90% single-player much the way guild-wars does, I'm not gonna buy it. If it's free that's an incentive, but if it's got a monthly fee, nah, I'm a college student, I just can't afford it.

So, I'll keep an eye out, but probably walking away.

Great, another perfectly fine single player game ruined by an MMO. Well, it was atleast fun for the first two games. There isn't a way in hell I have time in my life for an MMO, nor during a nation-wide financial crisis will I even consider paying a monthly fee for any game. LAs new direction is suicide apprently. First the horrible Clone-Wars animated movie, then the series spin-off, and now this. I won't be looking in their direction again for a LOONG time.

Don't judge it 'til you play it, on one hand the screenshots look awesome. Even though this is an MMO it could be as successful as WOW if done correctly...

i still don't understand why WoW is successful at all in the first place...i can only assume it's the IP, cuz i've played a friend's account (one of like ninety million of his profiles, lol) and it wasn't even interesting...

i still don't understand why WoW is successful at all in the first place...i can only assume it's the IP, cuz i've played a friend's account (one of like ninety million of his profiles, lol) and it wasn't even interesting...

The game itself isn't what people are drawn to. Its the concept.

You make a character, and from then on it is like a career or job of sorts. You grind and level up, constantly making yourself better and testing yourself against the changing world around you. Once you are done with one place, you go to the next to better yourself again.

Its very repetitive and goal oriented, and I think that is an attractive concept to many people. Sure, its a job you are paying to go to but at the same time it is a time sink that doesn't demand much back from you. You push your character, become better, and eventually become part of a much larger community.

And the community is huge, broad, and pretty inviting if you find the right people. You've go the PvE, PVP, RP, etc crowds to jump into and find your place.

It works because it is a lot like life, but shinier and with magic. Its repetitive, seemingly never ending, and unlike life you can always seem to become that much stronger with every step.

It is a very inviting concept. It is why I played it for 3 or so years. Its why it has 12 million people currently playing.

The game is pretty bland. The concept is brilliant.

Basically, LA will have to prove the the general public that this is a different game that has not been done before.

He thinks that this is LA's attempt to start the next WOW. But in order to do that they'll have to convince verteran MMO players that this is the game that should be played, and they should leave their aleady established characters, clans, friends, and knowlege and switch to this MMO.

To do this they will have to prove that there are no fantasy versions of this out there. For example, the force is the same thing as majic in the fanasy world, speeders are the equivilent of mounts (horses, ice tigers, ect.), and sword combat can be done in WOW (saber combat is saber combat, with or without the blades made of energy). LA will have to do something completely different, aside from offering players "The Star Wars Experience".

The only way this can be succesfull is to convince players that there is no equal out there. Keep in mind he's played every MMO ever released (from WOW to The Matix Online).

Do you think so? To me they look very dated. On thing I'll potentially be disappointed about is the lower end graphics to accommodate the MMO style...

I hear ya. It worked with Team Fortress 2 gloriously. Trying it with a Star Wars MMo, especially one that already has an established art direction and unique world build quality, distances the product from the existing games. I'm not knocking it though, but at the moment i need more content information before i decide on this game. At first i was pleased that a lot of my old friends from Galaxies have arrived on the official boards, but after three days i am not so sure i want to play alongside these people that have appeared on the boards.

I am getting an inkling this game will be more combat oriented than Galaxies. Hopefully they will have crafting classes in it but I'm starting to doubt that fact.

Pushing factors for me will be, No Crafting, No player housing, No open world and No non-combat classes. I'm not saying any of these are either confirmed are denied at this point, but as each one of these is announced to be in the game. It is more likely i will play it and vica-versa

Guys in a video interview on the network site i looked in bakground and saw pic of HK-47 :D

EDIT: IDIOTS!!!!!!!!! If you click the galactic republic allegienace - and look at the column of images...YOU WILL SEE STORMTROOPERS! WHAT HAVE THEY DONE! THEY SHUDNT HAV EM TILL LIKE 3000 YRS INTO FUTURE

Just because the armor looks similar does not mean they are stormtroopers. That's making a rash jump to conclusion based solely on pre-established ideas about Star Wars armor design before you know anything about who they are or what they do. Not a good basis for upset, in my opinion.

That said, I'm still waiting, 'cause I don't have K3, and that's all I want.

I for one, am looking forward to this. Yes, it's not KOTOR3, and that sucks, but it's either this, or nothing, for now. Not to mention, nothing has ever been said by LA or Bio Ware, or Obsidian for that matter, that there will not be a KOTOR3. I think the storyline they've come up with so far sounds pretty good, and I'm willing to give it a chance. I've been waiting for a good Star Wars MMO for a long time. One thing that everyone has to remember is they JUST announced it. All those that say it's not going to be any good, the graphics aren't good enough, blah blah blah, give it time. There's going to be a lot done to the game between the announcement (now) and the game release (down the road).

And for the people saying that they won't play the game unless it's free...face it, there's GOING to be a monthly fee. Otherwise, why should Bio Ware make it? They need to make a profit in all this, and paying the monthly fee not only makes Bio Ware a profit, it also encourages them to make further content for release that we can enjoy, which will earn them more profit. They are a business, and they're in it to make money. That's the way it is with any MMO, whether it's WoW, or COH, or any of the others. I for one, will pay the fee. And once i've played the game, I will make the decision as to whether or not the game's good enough for me to continue paying the fee or not.

So, what the majority of people wanted was...

1. KOTOR 3

2. Photorealistic (non-stylized) graphics

And what we are getting is...

1. KOTOR MMO

2. Cartoony (stylized) graphics

Is it just me, or is LucasArts/Bioware 0 for 2 right out of the gate? Didn't LA learn with SWG that it should listen to its players, and not release what everybody says they don't want (as in the NGE)?

So, what the majority of people wanted was...

1. KOTOR 3

2. Photorealistic (non-stylized) graphics

And what we are getting is...

1. KOTOR MMO

2. Cartoony (stylized) graphics

Is it just me, or is LucasArts/Bioware 0 for 2 right out of the gate? Didn't LA learn with SWG that it should listen to its players, and not release what everybody says they don't want (as in the NGE)?

It's hard to argue with that logic, but at the same time, I don't really care all that much about the graphics. In my opinion, K2 was a huge success over K1, much deeper and more complex, with an amazing storyline, immersive dialogue, and dynamic character interaction. Yet everyone seemed to think it was so much worse, and one of the main arguments for this was because the graphics weren't good enough for them.

Graphics =/= quality.

But on your first point, I think you're absolutely right. They aren't delivering what the fans want at all. This is all an attempt to squeeze out money with an MMO. Quite frankly, it's a waste of the franchise, because they have evaluated its worth low enough to do so.

I really wished to see exile and revan fight the true sith or something like that and what do I get a MMO!!.

"So this is how SPRPG dies."

Anyway it seems like its walk away for me.I will never pay for a MMO every month.I just hope someone realizes that an MMO is not what Kotor fans wanted.

They say it is going to be story driven. How do you REALLY do that with an MMORPG? In K1 and K2, YOU are the main character. The story is about YOU.

In an MMO, there are 3000 people playing, and they all want to be the main character. It just doesn't work. I remember my first time playing KOTOR, and thinking how much better it was than SWG. I wondered if KOTOR could ever work as an MMO, and I realized it couldn't for that very reason.

Back in the hologrinding days, you had a thousand people all leveling up professions to get their Jedi. That wasn't immersive at all! Even after you got your Jedi, it wasn't special because there were a thousand people who all accomplished the same thing running around. In SPRPGs, you are the only REAL special one. It doesn't compare.

They say it is going to be story driven. How do you REALLY do that with an MMORPG? In K1 and K2, YOU are the main character. The story is about YOU.

In an MMO, there are 3000 people playing, and they all want to be the main character. It just doesn't work. I remember my first time playing KOTOR, and thinking how much better it was than SWG. I wondered if KOTOR could ever work as an MMO, and I realized it couldn't for that very reason.

Back in the hologrinding days, you had a thousand people all leveling up professions to get their Jedi. That wasn't immersive at all! Even after you got your Jedi, it wasn't special because there were a thousand people who all accomplished the same thing running around. In SPRPGs, you are the only REAL special one. It doesn't compare.

This is exactly how I feel about it. So far, I haven't been able to convince many people of this - they all claim it can be done, but never say how. -_-

Archived