Home

ello' guv'nor! Put the crap in the trunk!

Taak Farst

ENG: Ape ****= Going crazy, getting really angry/exited about something.

USA: Ape ****= any member of the Hominoidea super family of primates' faeces

Actually, that means the same thing here. ;)

USA: Boot=a high-topped shoe.

ENG: Boot=a car's trunk.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no idea to honest... I don't drink and from what I've observed, people have varied tastes and also different regions prefer different bears over others. Down here around where I am, the obvious favourite seems to be Victoria Bitter, but like I said, a lot of people drink a lot of other kinds as well.

There is no one Canadian accent for the whole country, here in B.C. we talk just as fast as Americans and only say 'aboot' (and 'eh') when imitating the stereotypical Canadian. Most of the stereotypes actually come from the way the maritimers and the First Nations talk, and even then it's grossly exaggerated.
I'm a Maritimer from Nova Scotia, and the the accents can be pretty thick, depending in where you are from. The urban parts have less of it, but in some rural areas it is very prevalent.

And I don't think I have ever heard a Canadian say "aboot".

Ugh... No one in Australia likes Fosters... I don't get why it's so successful outside of Australia.

Its mainly England that seem to love Fosters. Definitely VB as the poor mans favourite here, carlton cold for the middle class, and crown lager if you have some money to burn ;)

I used to drink alot in uni days, but since being diagnosed with epsilepsy, combining the meds Im on + alcohol will turn me into a goblin the Doc said ;)

just pepsi max and red cordial now ;)

speaking of beers that are despised in their home country... Mexicans I met in the Yucatan all *hated* Corona... one dude even said 'he'd rather drink his own peees' :p I think part of this dislike comes from their dislike of Americans and American tourists... ah. I loved Mexico :D

mtfbwya

mtfbwya

What is the popular beer in Aus then? Last time i heard it was Red something. Definitely had the word 'Red' in it anyway.
I think it all depends on where you are in Australia. When I was there in 1990, we went to Melbourne, Sydney and Cairns and it was a different beer in each place. In our first stop in Cairns we got called wankers for ordering a Fosters. After that we ordered the regional beer of choice. They were all excellent, with the exception of a group of New Zealanders, who upon learning we were from the States, kept buying us Budweisers.

Here's a few of them... (though I'd agree with many.. I'm not a fan of Foster's)

http://www.metacafe.com/tags/fosters_beer_commercials/

Foster's isn't great, but bottles or drafts are at least tolerable. The huge cans on the other hand…:(

You may have guessed. This is a thread to discuss english and american similarities and major differences. Mostly how they act and how they speak. I can imagine quite a humurous thread coming on here :xp:

e.g. Americans say trunk - we say boot. good old language!

DISCUSS.

P.S Nothing to do with this, but how many hours in front/behind is america from us - atm its 22:35 in england

Depends on where in America you are talking about.

If it is 17:00 (5:00PM) in London

East Time Zone is 5 hours behind 12:OO

Central Time zone is 6 hours behind 11:00

Mountain Time Zone (Denver) is 7 hours behind 10:00

Pacific Time Zone is 8 hours behind 09:00

Alaska Time Zone is 9 hours behind 08:00

Hawaii and the western Aleutian islands are 10 hours behind 07:00

Corona & Fosters are canoe beers by any beer "snob".

Fag (UK) = cigarette

Fag (USA) = pejorative slur term, for a gay or effeminate man

and a bundle of sticks.

Archived