Home

Episode V - Out of the ship

Alexrd

Original Trilogy character wears 70's astronaut suits = very, very suck. Right? Do you know that Vader's suit is formerly designed as a space suit. But later GL thinked that the suit is badass and he decided the suit only for Vader. Do you ever notice that Vader is the only lightsaber-wielder (Jedi, Dark Jedi, Sith) that wears an "astronaut suit"?. Lightsaber wielder needs free of movement, otherwise they will be slow and some movement will be restricted. But Vader's still strong, even with that not-giving-much-positive-enchancement suit.

Okay, back to the topic. The movie's characters will look suck if they wear 70's astronaut suit. That's it.

• 4 months later...

yeah I'm sure there is a senor system by the back door that tells you if it is safe and what you need. or maybe they already scanned that when they first arrived in the "cave".

the bigger question is why did it take a blaster shot to wake the slug and have him close his mouth slooooooooooowly. I don't know about you, but if a noisy hyperdrive starship was flying down my throat, I might wake up and swallow.

yeah I'm sure there is a senor system by the back door that tells you if it is safe and what you need. or maybe they already scanned that when they first arrived in the "cave".

the bigger question is why did it take a blaster shot to wake the slug and have him close his mouth slooooooooooowly. I don't know about you, but if a noisy hyperdrive starship was flying down my throat, I might wake up and swallow.

Needles aren't harmful. A needle straight into your eyes is though. Maybe they landed in a sensitive spot (it was full with sticky stuff, which points to organs?). But still, the beast's reaction wasn't quick, I have to agree.

Then again, it would be epically sucky if Han and Leia died being eaten by a worm and the Trilogy would have to go on without them.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to share my thoughts and opinions on this matter, which I've thought deeply about the ridiculousness of the situation.

To begin, if they did check the atmosphere (which wouldn't make sense, since they know they're on an asteroid), why wouldn't they find it strange that they could go outside without being utterly obliterated? I don't think it would be logical at all to leave the ship while you know you're on an asteroid under any circumstances. Sensors could be faulty, too.

Wookieepedia Article on Mynocks

"Mynocks were one of the few species that could live in the vacuum of space. They had bat-like wings which they could use to fly in atmospheres. However, they were often limited to the vacuum of space due to an allergy to helium found in the atmosphere of many planets. This allergic reaction would cause them to inflate and nearly explode before dying. Many spacewalking sport hunters would kill mynocks by attaching helium-based grenades to them in what was called "Mynock Puffing"."

By going on this, it wouldn't make sense for them to assume they could survive the atmosphere simply because mynocks could, since mynocks can survive in the vacuum of space.

As for the worm... I won't go into the "who-sleeps-with-their-mouth-open" argument, but just ask you all to bear that in the back of your mind...

The atmosphere should not have been human friendly, mainly because the worm's mouth was open. That's basically all there is to it, in the end. If the worm could keep it's mouth open wide enough for the Falcon to get in, there would be no oxygen to support humanoid life.

Responses? I await eagerly.

-Evix

• 5 years later...

Well, I heard in the Radio Drama of “The Empire Strikes Back” that it was warm inside the throat of the Xeogorth (space slug), and there were the repeated movements inside it; so I am going to theorize that the pressure is somewhat tolerable for organic lifeforms inside until they get to the stomach where the acids are extremely lethal, but the atmosphere is still intolerable save for mynocks.

When Han fired into the creature, it would have caused a reflex of the creature to try to throw up whatever had injured it. The Falcon was fairly deep in its throat by the time it vacated the premises, so our heroes had plenty of time to get back inside before the atmosphere depressurized and out of the creature itself. That’s my take.

Archived