Home

Star Trek (Pic Heavy)

HerbieZ

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Famed SW fanboy and Director Kevin Smith aka Silent Bob recently got a squiz at the movie(minus many fx shots)

He seemed quite pleased... here's the source

Q: Why does Star Trek work?

KS: Star Trek works in a way where you're sitting there going, I can't believe this works. I remember when they announced it, I felt like look, it's one thing to introduce a whole new cast of characters. It's another thing if you're going to take the original characters, have other people play them, and do a Muppet Babies version of Star Trek. But it ****ing works like gangbusters. The credit goes to JJ [Abrams] and his writers, but definitely to the cast. They pull it off. Chris Pine, who plays Captain Kirk in the movie, does not do a William Shatner impression, but, at the same time, he's unmistakably Captain Kirk. He just brings all the brio, the gusto, everything about Kirk except Shatner's deliver to bear on the character. It doesn't disavow anything that's gone before. It lives side by side with everything that's gone before in Star Trek lore, in the movies, and the TV show. He did a great, great job. It's totally a fun movie

Q: How was Simon Pegg as Scotty?

KS: Simon Pegg was good. I don't want to spoil too much because they made me sign an NDA as well. But he's not right front and center right away. He comes into the movie later. I'm not going to compare it to Blues Brothers, but it's definitely a bringing the band back together even though they've never been together movie. So the characters come in slowly. Slowly they bring in character by character. And Scotty's the last one they bring in. But he's pitch perfect.

Q: How's his accent?

KS: He's pitch perfect. He sounds just like him.

Q: What environment did you watch it in? Was it a screening room?

KS: It was Paramount, on the lot, and JJ had pulled together a family and friends screening just to throw it up there and see how it played. That's another movie where he's like, We don't even have a tenth of our FX shots done. Some places your mind has to fill it in. But it still works even though all the FX shots aren't done.

If KS thinks its OK, even unfinished, it cant be that bad at all... ;)

..heres another glimpse at the bridge..

trex.jpg

mtfbwya

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah but Voyager returned home in the last episode XD You can't do much with it after that... well maybe an "alternate timeline" movie... but then that wouldn't really be that good IMO.

Either way, this isn't being done by the folks who did the modern Star Trek series and movies...

There is a book series involving the Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager crews after Nemesis.

Btw, the bridge looks pretty bad, why couldn't they have gone with a remake of the Original Series Bridge, you need to go with a classic (modernize the control surfaces a bit more but still).

The problem with a movie in this era in question is that the timeline is fixed in place thanks to basically all the series.

There is a book series involving the Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager crews after Nemesis.

Yeah, but who cares about the books.

There were several Star Wars books set around the time of the prequel trilogy before the prequel trilogy came out and now they don't mean a thing after the prequel trilogy came out.

Yeah, but who cares about the books.

There were several Star Wars books set around the time of the prequel trilogy before the prequel trilogy came out and now they don't mean a thing after the prequel trilogy came out.

What books are you referring to Lynky?

The Lando & Han Solo adventures series dont really impact on anything that happened in the movies so there is no inherent conflict with (G or C level)canon. Splinter of The Minds Eye, whilst weird and unusual fits into the same C-level as most other EU. Heck, as a nod to it, they even mentioned the kaibur crystal in subsequent series, including LOTF

mtfbwya

Ugh, I didn't word that well. I meant books were released before the prequel trilogy in its entirety was released which now seem a little out of place. I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure there are also some books that are set after the OT that were effected by the release of the PT.

The point was though, that I don't want books, I want to see more series and movies by the folks who made the series and movies themselves...

Though, as I said before... they kinda put the Federation in too good a position by the end of Nemisis... that is, if you're only following the TV series and movies and not going by any of the expanded universe stuff they have going.

I should warn you that everything in this post is specious, open to personal interpretation, not to be taken entirely seriously, 99.9% personal opinion and that you are more than welcome to disagree with it. I'm exhausted, and can't really be bothered to go through inserting conditionals at the moment.

1) Enterprise was bad. It became not-crap towards the latter half of season 4, before nosediving again with the blech final episode. The Mirror Universe episodes were quite fun. Personally, I blame some very variable actors, flat plots, poor direction and abysmal theme. Oh, and the decision to screw with the timeline. Both with the plot arcs and generally with the insertion of the NX-01 into the plot.

2) This film looks set to be bad. What's the fun of TOS without Shatner-acting? :p

3) Roddenbery is reported (can't remember by who, I'm afraid - this may well be unsubstantiated rumour) to have decided by the end of his life, that everything in the Federation was so peachy that people wouldn't even disagree any more. Wouldn't really be possible to carry on the programme under such constraints. Or at least, it would make a dull watch. : /

4) The new bridge shown in Astro's shot looks like a mix between the Voyager set, and the Star Trek, Phase Two concept work.

5) DS9 was the only programme after TOS to do something new with the series. TNG, VOY and ENT riffed, with mixed success, on an existing theme. It was also by far the best-written, and had the advantage of lacking both Wesley Crusher and Cardboard Kim.

6) The TMP bridge set was cool. As was the ship model. Nevertheless, the film could've done without the ten minutes admiring it. Shatner-acting is almost outdone by Plummer's camping it up in The Undiscovered Country.

There. Pure opinion, all of it. There's my £0.02.

1) Enterprise was bad. It became not-crap towards the latter half of season 4, before nosediving again with the blech final episode. The Mirror Universe episodes were quite fun. Personally, I blame some very variable actors, flat plots, poor direction and abysmal theme. Oh, and the decision to screw with the timeline. Both with the plot arcs and generally with the insertion of the NX-01 into the plot.

I was really put off Enterprise when it first started. Part of it was that I was going through some crazy stuff externally and couldnt give it the time it needed, the other part was that the look of it threw me, a little(Ive since gotten over that) I think we shouldnt let the limitations of the 60s TV production values affect what a show made in the 21st looks like. Im glad theyre jazzing it up for the movie.

I got into the Enterprise only in the last few months when I wanted to look into the episode featuring the borg... I remember fanboyz were in uproar that the Timeline had been raped etc. :p When I actually watched the ep, it wasnt that bad at all. Because of what occurred in First Contact, and Archer's admiration of Cochrane, the information he picked up on and revealed was 'plausible' enough(within the context of a sci-fi show anyway ;))

I went back and began watching it from the start and was very impressed with how they set out as a green crew, Archer was happy, smiling and quite idealistic about it all. As each terrible thing happenned to them though, he became more sullen, jaded and ruthless. It was really well done by Bakula[/iMO] There were some slower eps, sure, but every series has that.

My personal favourite was an epsidoe called Twilight which is about events which cause Archer to lose his memory and is described from 10 years into the future. Ive since come to regard Enterprise as my favourite, purely because of the different vibe it gave. It was quite reminiscent of the latter part of DS9.

And yes, the last episode was really unbearable. Riker and the TNG characters have had their share of screen time... and how they never showed Archer's key speech that helped esteablish the Federation was just plain wrong... crazy wrong!

thats my 0.02 credit :)

@Lynk. There are short some kids books set in post ROTJ area that are quite unusual but still dont contradict timeline massively. The only stuff that really sticks out are the 80s Marvel comic series. Quite uncharacteristic and not oftren alluded to in other SW EU at all.

If you recall the names of the ones you are referring to. let us know...I cant think of any off the top of my head and I have read every single bit of EU there is.. even those short stories that appeared in the Star Wars Adventure Journals and border on fanfic ;)

mtfbwya

*blushes* Well! They were ridiculously short in the first series... Then then went to those goofy looking coveralls in TNG... Never was much of a fan of the coveralls really. >.>

Rhett, you just out-nerded the entire thread with that bussard comment. xD <3

I really enjoyed DS9. I loved the introduction of the Jem'Hadar. Finally! A race that can whoop the Klingons. I loved all the battle scenes too.

I thought the realy voyager episodes were crap. they were. Then the borg showed up and things got MUCH better.

TNG was good in my book. I watch it when I get the chance.

Enterprise made me cry, It sucked that badly.

The TNG movies were excellent in my opinion. Loved em all.

Nemisis. A great movie. Clones, Romulans, Space battles. It had it all, except for Klingons. I really enjoyed it when The Romulans de-cloaked and helped the Enterpise take on Shinzon.

The New movie looks great. I'm counting down the days

Just my opinion on the series

True - I wasn't fond of Voyager or enterprise, but the later series of TNG and DS9 were great, not to mention the TNG movies. I personally thought Nemesis was one of the best releases in it's year. (maybe because of the Romulans...not sure!:D)

TNG and DS9 were made before Voyager and Enterprise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Enterprise

Anyways, if you look at the picture that Rogue Nine has Provided, one can see they've royally messed up the Enterprise. The entire secondary hull is messed up, unless they end up blowing up that section by the end of the movie. (Which is possible I might add, since the Enterprise from TOS had emergency saucer seperation (but needed a dry dock to reconnect the secondary hull to the saucer).

The current nacelles they plan on using look like a cross between the warp nacelles for a Sovereign Class (USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E is a Sovereign Class), and an Excelsior Class (USS Enterprise NCC-1701-B is an Excelsior Class).

Btw, for the record some Star Trek books are considered Canon in the Star Trek Universe.

For instance the book: Descent is canon because it is the novel form of an actual TNG episode. There are a few other books which are considered canon as well, not many of them but a few are.

Btw, for the record some Star Trek books are considered Canon in the Star Trek Universe.

For instance the book: Descent is canon because it is the novel form of an actual TNG episode. There are a few other books which are considered canon as well, not many of them but a few are.

That's because it's the novelisation of an actual episode that aired on the TV Series. As far i'm aware, the only books considered canon in ST are ones based on episodes and movies (Endgame and Insurrection, for instance).

That's because it's the novelisation of an actual episode that aired on the TV Series. As far i'm aware, the only books considered canon in ST are ones based on episodes and movies (Endgame and Insurrection, for instance).

There are a few others that are considered Canon, I believe one of the canon books has to do with Riker's new ship Titan, I believe is its name.

Some of the other post Nemesis books might also be canon, because they kill off some of the mains from different series.

I have to say, i like the design. The torpedo launchers and the thrusters are scaled smaller which is better as the launchers on the refit were too big considering they launch human-sized torpedoes. I'm surprised the neck is angled so far back but it has the added benefit of making the deflector dish a more prominent feature. I don't like the nacelles though. They remind me of 60's headlights, but they seem to taper off into an Enterprise-E style.

They're are parts of that design you do kind of wonder, why did they change it? I think it will grow on me but in one way i think and i mean think Jeffries would have approved.

At the end of the day i just think, they redesigned the enterprise for TMP and threw in the fact that it was a refit and everyone was fine with it. Just one word. Despite the fact that the actual body of the ship had changed, if it was a refit, they took everything out and built up from the framework. It blatently was not a refit, but we were fine with it.

I'm giving these guys the benefit of the doubt because they haven't made everything and tried to clumsily explain how it all fits it into canon.

Archived