Home

Star Trek (Pic Heavy)

HerbieZ

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah but Voyager returned home in the last episode XD You can't do much with it after that... well maybe an "alternate timeline" movie... but then that wouldn't really be that good IMO.

Either way, this isn't being done by the folks who did the modern Star Trek series and movies...

Yeah but Voyager returned home in the last episode XD You can't do much with it after that... well maybe an "alternate timeline" movie... but then that wouldn't really be that good IMO.

Why not? Just because they returned home doesn't mean they parted ways with the ship, or Starfleet. I'm sure they could have done a number of post-series missions before Janeway got promoted to admiral.

Cool bananas :) Im looking forward to the movie too

Ive liked Trek since TNG, didnt mind DS9 and loved Voyager. I wasnt really ready for Enterprise when it started(too busy gettin kicked out of home ;)), but have been watching it recently and love it... Archer is my favourite captain, easy.

What I'd really like to see is another trek series. And set it in the (Trek universe) future dammit. Imagine a series set on the Enterprise-J(below) ... Trek+Time Travel.....drools The scope for amazing storylines is just huge

Enterprise_J.jpg

BTW, what's with Simon Pegg's face in pic 2?

Yes indeedy! Simon Pegg(Shawn of the Dead, Spaced etc) is Scotty!! I reckon he'll be great in it.

It just feels like it's going to be the final nail in the franchise' coffin

Thats what many said....and still say about the DW and its 2 spin-offs. Arent we glad they were wrong!! :D

Why is Spock throttling Kirk? I must know!

Perhaps he found out about TJ Hooker and TekWar :p

mtfbwya

It is a real shame that they cancelled Enterprise... it started to get really good at the end, especially when they started answering some VERY important questions... such as why the Klingon's looked the way they did in the original series lol.

And how they ended it? Dreadfull. But this movie looks like its just going to be a Parody before a good movie. I'll still go to see it, but not on opening night.

On top of my earlier list of grievances (:D), I add that I hate the uniforms. They're awful. Really. It's the criss-crossed black lines in particular, not to mention Kirk's uniform. (Black? Green or yellow only, please!)

Of course, I will give it something of a chance when it is released. As in, I will watch it. :carms:

HerbieZ, forgive the Star Wars mentions, but I think it drives home the 'meat' behind this movie and the fact that it's not going to be "just another Trek in the series" sort. :)

Plus, at heart, Abrams is still more of a Star Wars guy. ''All my smart friends liked Star Trek,'' he says. ''I preferred a more visceral experience.'' Which is exactly why he accepted Paramount's offer in 2005 to develop a new Trek flick; creatively, he was engaged by the possibility of a Star Trek movie ''that grabbed me the way Star Wars did.'' That meant a bigger budget and better special effects than any previous Trek film, plus freedom to reinvent the mythos as needed. ''We have worldwide aspirations and we need to broaden [Trek's] appeal,'' says Weston. ''Doing the half-assed version of this thing wasn't going to work.''

EW.com has a nice 8 page article on the up-coming movie (quote above taken from it). Pretty good read. Trekkies and non-Trekkies alike should read it too. It looks to be a completely new Trek experience.. and I have to admit, after reading it.. my interest has risen.

Definitely was going to check it out.. but the article has pretty much bumped it up to "don't miss" status :D

The Bridge is all wrong. Like Astor, I don't like it. Everyone's in the wrong places. It looks more like the Motion Picture bridge - which isn't really a ringing endorsement...

The absence of Christopher Pike is disappointing. If I remember the early episodes, he was captain...so they'll just mess it up beyond repair!

Won't be the same without the definitive actors, in my opinion. They should have gone on with the TNG characters, or switched to DS9 or omething like that. LEAVE TOS ALONE!! :carms:

Picture it this way - Roddenberry wasn't the one to kill Star Trek. It was Paramount and J. J. Abrams.

I think a part of me just died.
Me to Inyri, me to.

This looks too fake and forced. It reminds me of the Lost in Space and Planet of the Apes remakes. What happened to the Romulan forehead ridges?

With Gene, Voyager and Enterprise probably wouldn't have existed. TNG would have ended differently. We can be sure First Contact would have been radically different possibly non-existent. With such a tight focus on details including who was where at what time, Chekov's hair etc, Star Trek would just stagnate without a new direction. Having to keep inline with ALL that canon and to keep the franchise appealing at the same time is almost an impossible task. Especially if Paramount want the movie to have more viewers than an average episode of Enterprise. Enterprise proved that, despite the die-hard fanbase, even if it has Star Trek on the title, it can actually appeal to very few of the fans.

I'm utterly convinced this is what is needed. Even thought I personally wanted another TNG era movie. Bringing a movie out based in that era would have made this franchise divebomb and made the movie/tv series after that come out in about 30 years time.

Oh and good article Chainz. That Nimoy comment at the very end alone was worth gold to me.

We needed a newer generation; however, it has to take place further into the future. Star Trek needs some time to cool. Gene's approach with Next Generation was perfection. Paramount needs to hire someone with a progressive vision of humanity. Star Trek: The Third Generation type of thinking is where fans want to go. Don't look back, but lets move forward.

Actually, speaking for myself, I'm quite interested in seeing Kirk's younger days.

While I would like to see more of the future - maybe even a new Enterprise (F?) some day, this is still an exciting direction to be taking.

It's like Star Wars - everyone has their own interpretation - I may find it hard to see this new transformation, as I love the TOS, but any new Trek is a welcome sight.

EDIT: Also, if Nimoy didn't like the direction it was going, he would have jumped ship.

Actually, speaking for myself, I'm quite interested in seeing Kirk's younger days.

While I would like to see more of the future - maybe even a new Enterprise (F?) some day, this is still an exciting direction to be taking.

It's like Star Wars - everyone has their own interpretation - I may find it hard to see this new transformation, as I love the TOS, but any new Trek is a welcome sight.

EDIT: Also, if Nimoy didn't like the direction it was going, he would have jumped ship.

Yep. Star Wars can be viewed from mulitple angles. Star Trek has a particular audience. Change has perks and cons. Its a wait and see type of movie. Sometimes new blood can make things exciting.

Sometimes new blood can make things exciting.

Yes, it can be interesting - and may indeed be in this case, presuming:

1) It doesn't turn into a parody, as some here seem to fear;

2) Crucially, for me, that they adhere as close as possible to the established characters put across by the inimitable originals. There is, sometimes room for new actors to bring something new to a character (such as the 007 franchise), but I don't count Star Trek among them.

hahahahahahahahahaha, Harold is Mr. Sulu. That's so awesomeeeeeeeee xD xD xD

Im so glad Im not the only one that noticed that. xD xD xD

So what is this Star Trek the Younger Years?

I dont like the Kirk person though... that curly hair just... its not doing it for me. Wheres Spock? The movie auto-fails without Spock... and the pointy ears.

Also Bones had better be up to the task of doing the famous "Dammit Jim!" line.

With Gene...

When you are putting potential thoughts and actions into a dead man's head, any such comments are tenuous at best.

Look at the SW universe, GL is still around, but it has evolved tremenedously - not to every fanbois liking either. "With Gene" the same thing may have happened...who knows... it's irrelevant now :)

Still, Im glad Trek didnt die with Gene, there were some super moments in the shows and movies, despite the bits that may not have been to our deepest liking ;) Recently I saw an Enterprise episode called 'Twilight' - where Archer gets infected by these brain parasites that exist across time and space. It gave a glimpse into 'what may happen' if Archer was unable to continue as captain and really brought everything down to the wire. Super effects too. I love those Trek shows where they jump back or forward in time, you get to see 'what if' or get a glimpse at cool technology(like Daniels and Enterprise J etc)

Im just hoping Abrams is the right choice. There is a certain feel that all incarnations of Trek have had, something about the language, production design, the way plot is revealed, the way the ships are shot(and designed), all these little bits that make a show 'Trek;'. If that gets lost somehow, it will sit weird with many come release day.

Time will tell.

mtfbwya

Still, Im glad Trek didnt die with Gene, there were some super moments in the shows and movies, despite the bits that may not have been to our depeest liking ;)

True - I wasn't fond of Voyager or enterprise, but the later series of TNG and DS9 were great, not to mention the TNG movies. I personally thought Nemesis was one of the best releases in it's year. (maybe because of the Romulans...not sure!:D)

Archived