Home

Dead Space

Lightsaberboy

I've been thinking "damn, I should probably get this" for the last two or three days. I'll have to meditate on it. Got my paycheck today, though. :V

Edit:

After watching this, I really want to get it now. First very first clip made me go "woah..."

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41717.html

It's like RE4, Doom 3, Metroid, and BioShock all in one.

Quite frankly, that game freaks me out. It looks cool, but I can't watch Aliens without freaking out. Looks really awesome, though I don't want to play it anytime soon if I want to sleep at all for the next year or so.

Sometimes you've got to force yourself. Hell, I stopped playing Doom 3 way back when cause it freaked me out too much while my brother went along and finished it. I started it again and got pretty far cause the entire time I was playing I was just expecting the worst... and kinda talking myself though it, too.

"Oh, guy is gonna pop out of there... no? Okay, then here definitely? Oh, I was right, hold on. Shot gun, okay, boom, you're dead, oh, another? Pfft, die bitch. Hey, don't screech at me. Boom! Oh, you trying to scare me? Hah! Boom!" (Note, this was back in like 2006, now I'd just hum to myself and laugh at the primitive bump mapping.)

I plan on getting this hopefully tomorrow or Sunday.

I played this game for quite a while last night. Freaks me the hell out... Seriously, It is down right nerve wracking in every sense of the word. The plot thus far, pretty much plays out like Alien/Doom 3. You are part of a rescue unit and board a dead space craft full of horrible things. One particular area worked a number on my senses. You are wandering through the maintenance bay looking for a key, and this mammoth, I mean HUGE engine suspended from chains is clanging back and forth, and blocking out just enough light to darken those corners. My nerves were so shot, I had to stop some where in level two and call it a night. All around though, I HIGHLY recommend this game. It seems to finally capture that creepy mood that Doom 3 tried so hard to do, but Dead Space does it much better. The other interesting thing is they way you interact with input devices throughout the ship with your groovy space suit. Everything is holographic, from the map, to your inventory..etc. There is no HUD, it is built into your suit. Remember to conserve your ammo and for god sakes, when you encounter any creature, go for the limbs, or you will be sorry...:eek: I got this game on check out, but I may be buying a copy for myself. Playing this game in the dark, with an LCD TV, and a decent surround system enhances the experience ten fold. This game has AWESOME sound. I give this game a solid 95%. Docking only 5% for mildly clunky controls, and an otherwise, "been there, done that" type of story line.

i wonder how long it is. the story seems interesting, but if it's something that can be beaten in 12 hours or so i might just rent it and play through it.

I read a review that said it's about 12 hours, but since the game is so atmospheric and offers so many different ways to play through it that the reviewer instantly started a new game. Right after finishing it the first time.

"Oh, guy is gonna pop out of there... no? Okay, then here definitely? Oh, I was right, hold on. Shot gun, okay, boom, you're dead, oh, another? Pfft, die bitch. Hey, don't screech at me. Boom! Oh, you trying to scare me? Hah! Boom!"

That sounds like my last playthrough of Sacred Icon and Quarantine Zone on Halo 2.

All I can say is that my parents are never going to let me get this until I go to college, otherwise I'd spend the next 2 weeks on the floor of thier bedroom.

My parents are kinda...paranoid when it comes to video games. If it is rated above M, it is going to take some serious convincing on my part. It took 3 months and my friend coming over with his 360 for a night to convince them to let me play Halo, and TES IV:Oblivion.

For the record: I'm in tenth grade. I am not some creep living in their parents basement and/or attic. just wanted to clear that up. No offense to anyone who does live in their parents basement.

To get this thread back on topic, how about the strategic dismemberment thing. Seems cool.

My parents are kinda...paranoid when it comes to video games. If it is rated above M, it is going to take some serious convincing on my part. It took 3 months and my friend coming over with his 360 for a night to convince them to let me play Halo, and TES IV:Oblivion.
No offense meant, and not sounding creepy, but how old are you? My parents were kind of the same way until 10th grade. Around that time I just said, "Look, it's a video game. Suck it up."

Damn Jehovah's Witness Parents D:

Mine were the same, pretty much till I turned 17. Even then it wasn't as much they said "you can buy M games now" and more of "**** it I am getting Resident Evil 4."

you all suck and will never be cool because of this

picture.php?albumid=16&pictureid=2153

Haha, I think the only "violence" censoring my parents did to me was lot letting me watch that animated Batman show...and that was before I was five. After that there was a thing - I kinda' assumed my Mom would never let me play M games when I was in middle school (I didn't really want to at the time), so I stuck with T-rated games until...8th/9th grade? My brother played all three Halo games, and started in...third grade? Wow. Yeah, as I was in 11th grade when the second one came out, and we had definitely been playing the first one for a year, at least. He's in seventh grade now, and has played stuff like BF:BC, Crysis and its expansion, Far Cry, and plenty of other violent games.

So I guess my family's pretty lenient then.

As for Dead Space, I get freaked out from horror films (so I haven't watched one since I was in middle school or so, except for like...1408), but I think I might find the "scary" stuff in this amusing. The "scary" parts in Halo, Far Cry, and any other games so far kinda' don't have an effect on me - never played Doom 3, but I saw some of it played, and found it funny.

- PR-0927

No offense to anyone who does live in their parents basement.

No. People who fall into that category deserve to be embarrassed and offended. Don't apologize. (You know, the stereotypical- haven't bathed in two weeks kinda dude, but if you're normal and just happen to live in a basement and like game, then yeah, you should know we're not referring to you.)

------

Umm, yeah. Played Dead Space for an hour and a half straight. Pretty awesome and very violent. Though it has some eccentricities, like how I removed the legs and arms and head of a woman who died in front of me with my boots... yeah, I did. Enemies are freaky and it's pretty gruesome sometimes. I haven't died yet and only got injured once in the first 45 minutes only because of a cheap "whoops, I'm not dead, lol, lemme bite your neck" trick. It's a lot easier than RE4 so far.

Oh, and in the scales of violence... if Manhunt and Soldier of Fortune 2 was 10 out of 10 and Condemned was a 9, I'd give it a 9...

10/10 - Soldier of Fortune 2, Manhunt

09/10 - Condemned, Resident Evil 4, Gears of War, Dead Space

08/10 - Unreal Tournament 3, God of War, Ninja Gaiden 2

07/10 - Grand Theft Auto 4, The Witcher, Rainbow Six: Vegas, Metal Gear Solid 3

06/10 - STALKER, Call of Duty 4, BioShock, Assassin's Creed, Saints Row

05/10 - Halo 1, 2, and 3, Half-Life 2, Splinter Cell 3, Saints Row, Call of Duty 4

04/10 - Crysis, Far Cry, Strangle Hold, TESIV: Oblivion

03/10 - Mass Effect

02/10 - TESIV: Oblivion, Viva Pinata, whatever I can't think of anything

01/10 - Ninety-Nine Nights

Also, you guys who get suppressed by your parents when it comes to violent games? Just man up and get it. I'm a little different because the first M-rated game I ever saw was Doom when I was like 5 or 6. First time I played was Unreal when I was 8, and the first time I got scared of a game was either Hexen or Return to Castle Wolfenstein... Tell them that it's just a game and it really can't affect you at all. Hurrr...

Also, you guys who get suppressed by your parents when it comes to violent games? Just man up and get it. I'm a little different because the first M-rated game I ever saw was Doom when I was like 5 or 6. First time I played was Unreal when I was 8, and the first time I got scared of a game was either Hexen or Return to Castle Wolfenstein... Tell them that it's just a game and it really can't affect you at all. Hurrr...

Did you read any of our quotes? That's pretty much what happened, except we couldn't really do anything about it without fear of getting our asses kicked until around 16 and up or so.

Not everyone had parents that raised us on Doom. Christ, I didn't play doom until I was what, 15? It's not always as easy as just saying "I'm getting this game nuts to you if you don't like it."

Archived