Home

EA boss comments on Brutal Legend

Kroms

Are you going to post this as news, Kroms?

It's on Behind Mojo; so I guess not...

So is that guy basically insulting Tim's most acclaimed game to show his disinterest in BL?

That's how I read it.

What can I say, who do you think will matter more in ten years? Tim Schafer, or John Riccitello?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

HTTP Status 404 - /eagames_brutal_legend_brutal_legend/home.action

type Status report

message /eagames_brutal_legend_brutal_legend/home.action

description The requested resource (/eagames_brutal_legend_brutal_legend/home.action) is not available.

Apache Tomcat/6.0-snapshot

^ Wow!

Perhaps it was all just a bluff to throw us off the scent.

I'd certainly like to think so. Frankly I was getting sick and tired of this game being labeled as a "sizable creative risk." I don't give a **** how creative it is - if a heavy metal themed action game with extreme graphic violence featuring the voice of Jack Black is declared unmarketable, there's something seriously wrong. It's obvious Double Fine was trying to go more mainstream with this game (no, I do not mean that in the sense that they were compromising), and it's annoying how every blogger on the internet seems to conclude that it's about as marketable as Psychonauts (which, in addition to beginning its development at a time when platformers were hot, could have easily been more exploited in its advertising for its "Extreme" elements).

It's not so much every blogger, it's just that for the most part publishers will look at previous games - and especially their sales - first. And definitely how many sequels they can make out of them, which is why Activision dropped it. EA are already planning sequels to Mirror's Edge and Dead Space, their 'creative risks'.

Still, great and wonderful news.

Phil and Paul Hartnoll of a UK-based electronic band "ORBITAL" (whose music I happen to enjoy) were once asked regarding the "underground" status of their music. To which they asked their interviewer if he meant that they were unsuccessful.

Schafer said something quite similar in a somewhat recent interview. Essentially, this amounted to "Psychonauts didn't fail commercially the way most people out there claim it has failed." And how could it? I bought 14 copies of that game. (/true) Most of them at retail price! (/sarcasm)

So, here's to hoping that:

(a) the marketing won't suck

(b) the marketing won't suck

© the graphics will be good enough for reviewers to like the game (all they care about is the graphics)

(d) people will know about the game due to an effective, sensible, and responsible marketing

(e) people will buy tons of copies of the game

(f) double fine will make enough money to not be seen as "grim + psychonauts crew of failed games"

(g) the marketing won't suck

Oh and when did Psychopedia open up? Did I miss it? Or did I find something before the rest of you did? (IMPOSSIBLE!)

Holy shnikeys, that is most definitely new. So I guess that's what that placeholder Psychonauts banner than everyone assumed had something to do with a sequel leads to.

This thing is amazingly detailed. They've even got the hour long G4 ICONS episode detailing Double Fine's last week of development on the game.

Holy shnikeys, that is most definitely new.

W00t, I callz dibs on finding it!

Hey, the concept art alone in there is worth a bijizzillion! Jigawatts of excitement. Raz sheets with D'artanian listings! W00t!

Double Fine is about to be literal for the decade that they'll just have two games published.

Hey, if they are two awesome games, it wont matter right. btw, EA really has changed significantly in order to publish some of the original ip its now getting its hands on. Seriously, i like that compant to the extent that i feel that dante's inferno is in safe hands with them now :p

Archived