Home

Universal leaves Tintin movies high and dry! *gasp!*

I read in a paper that universal pulled it's funding from the Tintin movies that are in production.

Universal pulled its funding because they felt that Tintin was 'obscure to US audiences.' It is well known in Europe and elsewhere.

I was really surprised at the majority of the US not knowing about Tintin.

As a kid, i loved the Tintin comics. Everyone knew of Tintin, even if they didn't like it. Even my parents read it years ago and they had friends that loved it. I havnt seen a library that doesn't have the Tintin books.

There are supposed to be three movies, directed by Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson. (two of the best!) Apparently Spielberg found out about Tintin in 1981 when a review about Indiana Jones said something about it. His secretary got him the french version of the comics. He didnt understand it, but he loved it instantly. (And apparently Herge became a fan of Spielberg!)

The movies were being funded by Universal and Paramount and digital effects done by Weta Digital in NZ, the people responsible for the digital effects of Jackson's Lord of The Rings trilogy, The Chronicles of Narnia movies, Halo (in production) and others. The movies are to be shot in Los Angeles and New Zealand.

What do you think of Universal pulling it's funding? And that most of the US doesn't know of Tintin?

@ Sabre: I'd rather they do a full on animated movie... in Tintin's classic style.

There have been like half a dozen Tintin animated movies. My favourite is the Temple of Sun, that's a classic.

And anyways, problem is, nobody is going to make 2D animated movies anymore, and if they do, not enough people will watch them.

I say just let this whole thing die already. Tintin is awesome, let him be as he is.

for those consdering getting upset at poor Astro for being inappriopate, do some research... Tintin is something of a gay icon, due to the cloud over his sexuality.

:drop2:

*never* knew that.

what, just because it isnt specified what his sexuality is doesnt mean he's gay! i dont have anything against gay people, but this is ridiculous IMO. his sexuality isnt specified so how can they go and specify it??

i hope they dont botch up the movies. but i have a feeling they'll do a good job. (jackson + spielberg!) because they have the pressure of an entire multi generational world (excluding US :xp:) of people who like tintin on them. if they ruin it, itll be horrible. and it would taint their careers.

Everytime I see Tintin I think of Rintintin... which if I remember correctly is a really really really old tv series...
With the dog, right? My grandma always used to watch it. :)

I've seen an animated Tintin TV series a long time ago, and read some of the comics. I think I still have some of them somewhere in the house. I use to be a moderate fan, now not anymore. Don't know if a movie would've worked out, but it deserved a movie.

No, as I said, it`s "unofficial"...made by fans...like a game mod, more or less. Not sure if an English version exists. It was made shortly after the beginning of the war in Iraq and it is a satire of the situation. If you look at the images in the album you`ll surely notice that they come from several other original Tintin books like the Broken Ear, Tintin and the Picaros, the Crab with Golden Claws and l'Affaire Tournesol (whatever that is in English) amongst others. Still, it is well done and even number of pages is the same as a real book.

Archived