Home

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Indeed you were, but some people aren't being permitted to have equal rights due to the beliefs that you and others like you hold. That isn't something that should be treated casually. There are either good reasons behind your beliefs or there are not.
Reminds me of my favorite line from Dogma:
I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier. Life should malleable and progressive; working from idea to idea permits that. Beliefs anchor you to certain points and limit growth; new ideas can't generate. Life becomes stagnant.[/Quote]

No, I don’t listen to much any hip-hop. :)

I believe that my reasons are good, but then again, you think the same of yours. It's probably just all a matter of thinking and votes. That's certainly been the case for awhile.
This would seem to assume that all reasons are equally valid.

If that's the case, then the people that think that they have good reasons for abusing children are on equal footing with those that think they have good reasons for opposing it. Therefore, since both sets of reason are equal, passing laws that prevent child abuse would be unfairly oppressive, no?

I arbitrarily used "child abuse" here. Feel free to replace it with any other topic of your choosing.

Shall we abandon the "all reasons are equal" premise now or would you like to attempt to argue it some more?

Either we have good reasons for preventing others from having equal rights or we do not. Frankly, I find the casualness with which you dismiss the rights of others more than a little offensive.

You know, I don't really like arguing but the point of what I said was not that all beliefs are valid in their reasons. But that would fall under your opinion onto which reasons are more or less valid. And I am not tossing away the "rights" of others. I meant no offense on that {of course, though, you took offence}. I believe that these things we argue about are wrong, you have a different opinion and we're both trying to make the other see our reasons that both are right. I believe that same-sex marriage is wrong, I stated my reasons earlier. I side with many others on their choices {as you've probably already read}.

Edit:

Reminds me of my favorite line from Dogma:

No, I don’t listen to much any hip-hop. :)

There's good Hip-Hop and the not-so-good Hip-Hop. Same here. Cool Saying, though.

If you need to add to a previous post, please use the you may: edit,... link in the lower right hand side of your post. Please don't double post. --Jae

I believe that same-sex marriage is wrong, I stated my reasons earlier.
No, you shared your beliefs. I pointed out that we either have good reasons for our beliefs or we do not.

Some people are permitted the right to marry. Some people are not. Do we have a good reason for this distinction?

Forget for a moment that the distinction is homosexual vs. heterosexual. Imagine that it is blond vs brunette, right-handed vs left-handed, near-sighted vs far-sighted or whatever. Are you still able to maintain the argument that some people should not be allowed to marry while others can (i.e. blond people can get married but people with brown hair cannot)?

Do you have a good reason for maintaining the argument? Is there a moral (not religious) basis for your argument?

If the answer is no, then you really should reconsider your stance on the issue.

Nnnnot really. Allowing gay marriage does not force heterosexuals to be gay, or partake in gay marriage. In fact, allowing gay marriage has absolutely no impact on the lives of heterosexuals. None. Zero. Which is why it should be such a non-issue, but heterosexuals feel like it is necessary to impose their beliefs onto others.

Yes really. It forces those with beliefs that it is wrong to accept something as normal that they find reprehensible. It forces them to have to explain to their families about how a man and another man can be married. You don't see it as a problem because you already accept it. I don't have a problem with it personally because I feel that all persons should be treated equally under the law, which is not happening under the system. You can deny the effects it has on the heterosexual community all you want, but there are effects. Even if you feel those effects are trivial, they are effects.

I believe that my reasons are good, but then again, you think the same of yours. It's probably just all a matter of thinking and votes. That's certainly been the case for awhile.

Let me point something out to you then:

True, IMPOSING a belief is probably a very evil cause{ that goes way back before Nazi Germany} but as Christians we don't impose on others beliefs, imposing is forcing.

So are you trying to maintain the argument that Prop 8 is not an imposition on the homosexuality population? It's not an imposition to keep them from having the same protections and rights granted to them as a married couple?

Under your defintion, now, "imposing is forcing." Aren't you trying to force them to not marry, using this law? (Let me make sure you get this one - the answer is that's exactly what you're doing.)

In history, imposing a belief would be like the Spanish Inquisition of the 1600s saying "do this or we chop something off," that isn't what Christians or other religous groups do, at least not anymore{I hope}. But there are certain things that are just, wrong, not meant to be. Not that that will stop anyone from doing them, which brings action from forms of Government.

Why is the marrying of homosexuals not meant to be? Who says you get to make that call?

Yes really. It forces those with beliefs that it is wrong to accept something as normal that they find reprehensible. It forces them to have to explain to their families about how a man and another man can be married. You don't see it as a problem because you already accept it. I don't have a problem with it personally because I feel that all persons should be treated equally under the law, which is not happening under the system. You can deny the effects it has on the heterosexual community all you want, but there are effects. Even if you feel those effects are trivial, they are effects.

No, what it really does is not concern them. Whether or not they find it reprehensible, for them to block it because they feel uncomfortable is unjust and immoral.

I don't care if you sweat a little more because you have to think about two women marrying. The rights of a minority group should not be reduced because you don't feel safe with it. Under your logic, we should take away the rights of blacks because we're making the racists uncomfortable. We shouldn't let those pesky women hold jobs either - makes the sexists mad. And while we're at it, we shouldn't give the gays any rights, because it makes prejudiced people - who are obstinately or intolerantly devoted to their own opinions and prejudices; especially: those who regard or treat the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance - uncomfortable.

_EW_