Home

EA News Release : LucasArts and BioWare Reveal Star Wars: the Old Republic

tk102

hmmm, I absolutely love KotOR, but absolutely hate MMOs...what to make of this?
You and me both. I guess it will all come down to how much gameplay is decided by interaction with people I don't want to play with. The comments of it being story focused are intriguing though...

You and me both. I guess it will all come down to how much gameplay is decided by interaction with people I don't want to play with. The comments of it being story focused are intriguing though...

I agree, I don't mind having to play it online as long as I can play it solo and it has some good storylines and char progression/feats/classes etc...

And all I pay for is the game, not extortionate server "fees" a company like LA doesn't need to keep servers running.

THe only problem is that everyone, their brother, and their sister are now going to be Jedi and want to be doing things that they could do in FORCE UNLEASHED, then whine about it when they can't, and keep whining til they get their way. So we end up that all the non-force users turn into nothing but tools of the force users.

I want K3, but this seems to have the potential every other MMO lacks. I'll give it a chance on one condition: NO PAY-TO-PLAY! that's total bs...

I hope this has an appeal, (for me) which WoW did not have. WoW seemed to be missing something...

I agree pay-to-play games are not worth anything to me. If they want to really make money off of this then it should be free because more people will buy the game (knowing they can play it for free). They will probably have a thing where instead of giving free update, we will have to pay "a small fee" to get it so they can keep the money coming in.

THe only problem is that everyone, their brother, and their sister are now going to be Jedi and want to be doing things that they could do in FORCE UNLEASHED, then whine about it when they can't, and keep whining til they get their way. So we end up that all the non-force users turn into nothing but tools of the force users.

Well hopefully they will make "checks and balances" for each class so it does really not matter what class you are. Also TFU had "Force Unleashed" in the name for a reason, it is called TOTALLY AMPED UP FORCE POWERS (hence UNLEASHED after force). So if anyone does whine I would just say, "If you want that, then go play The Force Unleashed." and walk away. And LF really has not listened to us whine anyway. The only reason they would change anything, is if the testers say that the game needs certain features changed (and with TOR only being in alpha stage, I would not start whining).

I like how before the game was announced everyone was like 'BAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW I DON'T WANT IT TO TOUCH MAH KOTOR ERA' and now that it is announced everyone's like 'BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW IT MOST LIKELY ONLY HAS THE VAGUEST CONNECTIONS TO MAH KOTOR ERA'.

~snipped~ --Come on, Hall, you know better.... --Jae

Edit: @John Galt: Welcome back. o_Q

But Jae, I was just applying his logic to his post!

And all I pay for is the game, not extortionate server "fees" a company like LA doesn't need to keep servers running.
I don't think there is anything extortionist about it, NS. This big servers are expensive to run and maintain, and the cost of the game really only covers the development costs.

To be honest I am in the anti-MMO camp. It's not that I hate MMO's per say but I don't have the time to invest in playing them. AKA "I have a life" ;). Seriously though, I have a hard time just finding a couple of hours to spare playing the KOTOR and it's sequel, let alone an online multiplayer game with other live players that can effect the experience. However I heard from another poster around here that there is a single player mode which might help things somewhat for us antisocial players. :D If I play online, it's usually quick rounds of shoot em up games like Call Of Duty, Red Orchestra or Halo.

I commented on the art style as well but like many of you I am going to wait until I see more then make a final judgment. I can understand why we did not see a KOTOR III (although we may see it yet). I mean those games seem obsolete compared to the MMO games out now which are far more marketable. Even Fable II has a co-op mode online on Xbox Live. The developers have obviously seen the writing on the wall. Whether they will be able to take this franchise to a different level successfully is a different matter.

If I remember correctly, when I first started here that I asked if there was a way for someone to make a game that was basically SWG but Kotor...hmm I wonder if anyone read that (probably no but it still is interesting).

I found the thread that I was talking about here

I don't think there is anything extortionist about it, NS. This big servers are expensive to run and maintain, and the cost of the game really only covers the development costs.

I don't know about that...I mean NWN was up and running for ages, with continuous patches etc...the only thing I ever payed for that was the game and the expansions...I suppose it's different if it's a dedicated MMO game, but it's still hard to justify the costs when they could do other things like release expansions or premium modules like NWN.

I suppose it's hard to justify for myself as well since I'm only really a casual gamer and I like to pick up and play a game whenever I want...

But anyways, since seeing the gamespot interview with the devs I'm actually really excited now, it all sounds very promising and - most importantly - very story-orientated!

Can't wait for more info!

If I remember correctly, when I first started here that I asked if there was a way for someone to make a game that was basically SWG but Kotor...hmm I wonder if anyone read that (probably no but it still is interesting).

I found the thread that I was talking about here

Whahaha :xp: T7nowhere:

"There will never be a kotor multiplayer"

Epic!

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah, well have you heard of people losing interest in things and becoming interested in others. I'm not the star wars I use to be when I was 12.

I'm starting to lose interest completely in Star Wars since latey any of the new productions like the prequels, the clone wars movie/series and force unleashed aren't really that good.

With how things are deveolping with Star Wars and LucasProductions, I doubt I would buy a kotor 3 even if it did come out.

How many people weren't 100% impressed with kotor 2. It was good, but nothing compared to the first.

Lets face it, Star Wars is going down the dark path... :shades2:

I'm not so enthused that I buy everything SW when it first comes out...or any video game anymore. I have other things to concern myself with.

Maybe I'm just too cynnical?

Not sure about an online MMO. I think the whole pay per play online hassle more than effectively negates any interest I may have. I've had too many underhanded subscription deals spoil into messes.

However, I'd wait until KOTOR 3 came down in price. If for no other reason I'd get it for dedication--long as it wasn't an insult. Force unleashed about hit my expectations--great intentions but consequently falls short due to over ambition. Like mos SW games I have played.

I guess you kind of hit it. I would not go so far ast to say COMPLETELY losnig interest for myself personally. However, (and I suspect I'm not the only one given the time period) I suspect Lucas was hoping/planning on the $$$ generated from KOTOR 2 to help him finish SW:ROTS. I have no sources or way of confimrming that except that it's the only thing that makes sense, besides the whole theory that he's greedy bastard who only marginally cares for his works. I think he cares deeply for his creations. And his fans.

Just a bit over-ambitious.

I'm just too tired for an online MMORPG because the hassles have ruined my experiences. I'd go more for a KOTOR 3.

One last thing is, what kind of purpose is there besides socializing...I mean isn't that what we already do HERE at lucasforums? Isn't that what leaving the house to go find love (or at least good times) is for??? Does nobody care about good old fashioned in person experience anymore?

^ I see your point but the guys at BioWare did stress that the MMO will focus much more on story driven, single player campaigns and adventures than others, and you will have NPC party members to interact with (like KotOR and TSL) and they claim to have found a way so it looks like everyone's NPCs look different from each other, giving it more individuality...

Archived