RPG vs. MMORPG

Titanius Anglesmith

SP or MMO?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. SP or MMO?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Single player by far...not b/c I care bout the ongoing story...not b/c I think they couldn't get an MMO right (I think if anyone, Bioware can make a killer MMO)...it's b/c MMO's as a whole suck. Let's buy the game and then pay monthly (around 15 bucks!) to play...not a good deal at all...who knows, this could change my opinion, but don't count on it...

Single player by far...not b/c I care bout the ongoing story...not b/c I think they couldn't get an MMO right (I think if anyone, Bioware can make a killer MMO)...it's b/c MMO's as a whole suck. Let's buy the game and then pay monthly (around 15 bucks!) to play...not a good deal at all...who knows, this could change my opinion, but don't count on it...

You don't have cable then?

You don't have cable then?

Another downside to MMOs, while I was impressed at the ability of WoW to run over a low connection, a more powerful connection than dial-up is pretty much a requirement. I pay $60 for my connection a month, add $50 for the game, and then $15 a month, and while the base cost of the game is spread out infinitely over play time, I'm now paying 25% more on my internet bill, just for ONE game. Little much don't ya think?

Another downside to MMOs, while I was impressed at the ability of WoW to run over a low connection, a more powerful connection than dial-up is pretty much a requirement. I pay $60 for my connection a month, add $50 for the game, and then $15 a month, and while the base cost of the game is spread out infinitely over play time, I'm now paying 25% more on my internet bill, just for ONE game. Little much don't ya think?

I wasn't talking about cable internet. I was talking about cable in general. See this is the same argument that was used against cable TV for the longest time. Why pay a monthly fee. I already paid for my TV, why would I spend money monthly to watch TV?

SWG runs on dial up. Most MMO's run over a dial up connection.

Basically, is the announcement that this is an online game what you've been waiting for or is it a big disappointment? Would you have preferred what we seem to be getting, or a single player game that ties up the story from the two KotORs?

The original Kotor game was what brought me here to Lucasforums so many years ago. I just loved that game, I'll never forget how I felt at the spoiler moment either - totally never saw it coming lol. The second was pretty good, I didn't enjoy it as much as the first, mostly because of the way it ended.

Now to answer your question, I would have been happy either way. I love the time period. That said, I am extremely happy to have a chance to play Kotor in an online world with friends I've made from other games. Should be a great experience. :)

Sadly true "Role-play" is hard to do with a computer game. Since it is hard to come up with all the ways someone may react, and then the repercussions later on... eventually through trial and error people will figure out the decision tree and tell everyone how to arrive at the goodie they wanted before they even start.

I wish people would stop trying to be negative and enjoy this wonderful advancement, KoTOR I and II were wonderful but they are part of the past, and this is the present and the future. There will be much to appreciate and experience I am sure from the KoTOR world and there is every reason to appreciate it. So what they are making for us is a combination of both single and multi and you did not have a category for that so i will not vote.

I hope it's not the future. Plenty of people still like single player games. And many people do not play MMO's. I kind of hope it tanks spectacularly so they have to make a proper SP game to recoup their losses

True, but there's no denying they run BETTER over a faster connection. Opening a web page can kill your WoW connection on dial-up.

Well to be fair, you use your internet connection for more than the game, soooooo you aren't just paying extra for the better running game haha.

But really the whole point is that people pay monthly fees for entertainment all the time. In some cases spending 15 a month is less than they would have spent on other entertainment... Kept me out of bars. I know I spent more in bars than 15 a month. So I got a net savings of hundreds haha.

I have fought over this for several days. I keep flipping back and forth on this issue. I finally realized what I'm feeling. The Old Republic should be made into a singleplayer game. Why? It will feel more personal to me. I love the whole premise behind this game; thus, I have been fighting over my feelings for days. I have a Jedi on one shoulder and a Sith on the other. Each are making a hard to disagree with case. Its looks like an amazing game; however, I see some very convincing cons. (1) Spending monthly costs on an internet connection and game subscription is too high for me. (2) Spending the money so an angry player can kill me while I make progress is also annoying. (3) Being bothered by other players while wanting to explore alone is also annoying. I like playing games alone in my den. I go to work everyday, and I interact with the office gang. I walk through the door after a long day, and I just want to be left alone. Games allow me to push away human contact after a long day. Massive online roleplaying games require a level of human contact; thus, I want a singleplayer game that doesn't meet that requirement. Games are my escape from life.

Does this mean that I overall hate this game? No. There is some amazing things being done; therefore, you can see the pain in my decision. Visiting Korriban once again would be great; however, I just can't get passed why I like playing games. I do it to escape from human contact. Its that simple.

Singleplayer!

I'm not doubting that this will be a well made game, but, It WILL ruin KotOR for me, because I play swg (Sorry) and the MMO factor makes it not star wars in any way, shape, or form, the community aspect make's it like going about your everyday lives, just wearing a star Wars costume. I'm guessing as a Star Wars Fan there will 0% immersion, 100% netspeak.

I totally agree with ppl who want a SP game. I do too. I long for one. But it is not going to happen now, perhaps ever. LA has made its decision clear, I am sad to say, There have been so many valient attempts to get them to realize the playability and the value of their older titles. They ignore them. There is a wonderful group of modders working to salvage KoTOR I and II, and i have high hopes that they will manage to heal some of the damage that was caused by Lucas Arts forcing release of both titles before all that was meant to be in the games coulid be concluded, including the cutting of an entire planet that was largely ready with a complex and fascinating storyline for KoTOR I. Sigh.

I dont know for sure what the future holds. I hope hope hope that Single Player will survive the current fascination many Game Developers are having with MMO's. They think it is a way to deliver massive content to huge numbers of players but up until how, all of them, almost, have been dismal failures in terms of quality of game world and immersion, they just dont deliver what the promo art promises in terms of quality. So I am among the strongest proponents of SP, but for now, this is what we will have. So I try to encourage support so that if and when this works, or it at least brings renewed interest in the wonderful world of the Old Republic, we may at some time get a worthy KoTOR III.

I shall continue to hope and continue to support LA for they have given us JK O and JK A and the KoTOR"s and many of the other games have fine qualities too. Here's hoping the Force will remain strong.

Wasn't really looking for either, though I will tentatively say that I'm for the MMO. To be honest, 1 & 2 left things in such a state that I have trouble imagining a third game that would be satisfying. You'd either play yet another new character that had the vaguest of connections with the original story or find some way to lose all the power that you had accumulated in one of the other KOTORs.

... I kind of hope it tanks spectacularly so they have to make a proper SP game to recoup their losses

If it tanks, they will just bury KOTOR forever. What they need to do is learn how to LISTEN to their customers. When LA/SOE made the NGE for SWG, people on the forums told them "if these changes go live, I'm canceling all my accounts." Well, guess what. They weren't lying. Subs went way down after the NGE.

Lucasarts needs to learn to listen. The majority of players wanted KOTOR 3 with realistic graphics

Instead, they are giving us KOTOR MMO with cartoon graphics.

I mean, this was simple... K2 is finished. Now work on K3 (but give this one a little more polish). Continue and/or finish the story. We weren't asking for much. The games sold well. It's not like we were asking for a handout. We were asking for another product to buy.

Then there is the long break without any information. Rumors about an MMO start popping up. Most people on the forums say they don't want and MMO. They want K3. But Lucasarts is so darn stubborn, then pretend we don't exist.

I read when TOR is going to take place, and it all sounds good... until I remember that they can't possibly tell a great immersive story, BECAUSE it is an MMO. Too many people named Revan420 will be running around, all trying to be the main character of the server. It just doesn't work. Single player RPGs work because you are separated from the other players, and you CAN be the main character.

The sad part is they will probably make more money off of this, due to the subs. They will then feel vindicated, because that is the only way they measure success. It doesn't matter if it is a quality game or not. Lucas has a bazillion dollars. You would think that since he will never go starving, that he would be more focused on keeping his company's reputation strong, than earning every last penny he can.

I truly hope I am proven wrong, and that TOR is an awesome game. But when I saw awesome, I mean that it reminds me so much of K1 and K2 (strong story, that once gets immersed in). If it doesn't do that, I hope LA loses a lot of money on it, so more people can tell them "Don't blame us, WE wanted K3, and we told you so. You gave us something else"

I don't doubt that TOR has the potential to be a great MMO. But MMOs do not revolve around an immersive plot and great voiced dialogue. They simply don't. So far, every MMO's attempt to be on par with a SPRG when it comes to those things has failed.

I'm massively disappointed with LucasArts decision. :(

I don't doubt that TOR has the potential to be a great MMO. But MMOs do not revolve around an immersive plot and great voiced dialogue. They simply don't. So far, every MMO's attempt to be on par with a SPRG when it comes to those things has failed.
There's a first for everything. And because no MMO has succeeded so far in creating an solid story, doesn't mean this one won't.

Archived